My thoughts, although, most will likely not agree. I find that many things in life are 'bad' for you. Relationships usually end in hurt ot dismay, unhealthy. Friends can and will hurt you. Sunning is bad. Much bad out there.

So why if someone chooses by choice, the same choice someone has to drink alcohol, (different long discussion), to cope in life with their agent of choice, and are functional, it's side effects can be harmful or not harmful, as with EVERYTHING in life, why is it looked so down upon.

• Author

The post was meant to highlight, 'agent of choice,' be that whichever the user chooses. It is so acceptable for people to act silly in a nightclub, but looked down upon if someone chills with the agent of their choice, causing no one any trouble. It is acceptable for groups to get sloshed, drunk, gabbing, spit unknowingly flying everywhere, slurred speech, but not okay if someone is a functional addict of their agent of choice.

todreaminblue
My thoughts, although, most will likely not agree. I find that many things in life are 'bad' for you. Relationships usually end in hurt ot dismay, unhealthy. Friends can and will hurt you. Sunning is bad. Much bad out there.

So why if someone chooses by choice, the same choice someone has to drink alcohol, (different long discussion), to cope in life with their agent of choice, and are functional, it's side effects can be harmful or not harmful, as with EVERYTHING in life, why is it looked so down upon.

Alcohol is ok brit.....everything in moderation but if you are sad and not coping in life and use alcohol to cope it becomes a necessary part of your coping mechanism.....alcohol inhibits natural responses and can drastically alter your personality if a person is struggling in life and turns to alcohol to cope.....I myself cant drink.....you know those bad things happen to good people..... well alcohol can work as a depressant with some of those good people that crap happens too....i am one...people who struggle to cope in life will not cope any better by drinking.....it can multiply bad situations and cause vulnerability.....i think when you think you need alcohol to cope.....the issue that is not being addressed is hidden behind a few too many glasses of red..its going to keep rearing up its ugly head and forcing you to drain the bottle....and that is just my personal opinion....best wishes from deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Author

I give up, funny, I am obviously not making sense:) I am not speaking about a problem with alcohol, my thread's point is it is exceptable in our society for frats to have keggers, people to go to clubs and get sloshed drunk, but frowned upon if a person is a functional substance abuser other than alcohol. I feel all substances should be legalized and left up to the user to use it with discretion, the same as is done with alcohol which causes much more harm and problems then other substances.

todreaminblue
I give up, funny, I am obviously not making sense:) I am not speaking about a problem with alcohol, my thread's point is it is exceptable in our society for frats to have keggers, people to go to clubs and get sloshed drunk, but frowned upon if a person is a functional substance abuser other than alcohol. I feel all substances should be legalized and left up to the user to use it with discretion, the same as is done with alcohol which causes much more harm and problems then other substances.

ohhh now i understand.....:D.....legalising things would stop some problems it would lower the cost of prohibited substances.....which would in turn prevent financial strain on addicts and their families....it would make substances more accessible and then would prolong addictions and promote heavier habits the substances given would become purer....then i guess the legalised purer substances would overtake alcohol in causing more harm they would be affordable to get a fix everyday then every hour....when someone uses i feel discretional use by the user is not viable because substance addictions tend to spiral out of control....and when it is up to substance abusers to have self control.....we will have to create more cemetaries to house the failures ....i think they should hit drug prevention education in the school system and do it young.... give kids support let them know the cold and brutal facts and give them the options to substances to enjoy life or to cope...so then with guidance they choose choices that will enhance their life.....so my feelings on this are....educationg not legalising......is that better...lol.....deb

• Author

Yes, I understand your point, but it is acceptable for people to go out from all walks of life and get sloshed drunk act stupid as long as they do not drive, but if someone wishes to bump a small bit of Heroin (most people are not aware that 80% of H users, inhale it, never succumbing to IV use), lay down and relax, and not act like idiotic high school drunks, which is acceptable, they are viewed very poorly compared to someone out getting sloppy drunk.

• Author

For example, I could not go to a cocktail party of adults, who are downing bottles and bottles of red wine, granted are having fun, no problem with that, but it is acceptable for them to giggle, act stupid, act way differently than normal, it is accepted, and it is done using a dangerous substance, liquor.

But it would be frowned upon, if say, I said, no I do not drink, but pull out a bag of H, the zippies are hilariously small, and say I would rather relax with a small bump (the appropriate, functional size is almost impossible to imagine, and hard to seperate, like the size of the smallest snowflake of all snowflakes) of H, relax, and have a good time. For me it seems completely ludicrous, that, one is accepted and the other is not.

todreaminblue
Yes, I understand your point, but it is acceptable for people to go out from all walks of life and get sloshed drunk act stupid as long as they do not drive, but if someone wishes to bump a small bit of Heroin (most people are not aware that 80% of H users, inhale it, never succumbing to IV use), lay down and relax, and not act like idiotic high school drunks, which is acceptable, they are viewed very poorly compared to someone out getting sloppy drunk.

i dont accept it i think its ok to make mistakes getting drunk is a mistake acting up in public is a mistake but i think if you find it fun to get drunk and be a total write off all the time you are becoming some elses problem....i don't find drunkeness acceptable behaviour ....in fact i become increasingly uncomfortable around people who when asked to back off sway closer and invade my personal space.....my fight or flight reflex kicks in and i remove myself or have them removed before they or myself regret going out that night .....i understand addiction so i dont look poorly on people who use heroin.....i feel sadness more than anything and helpless ..my sisters boyfriend died next to her in bed from a heroin overdose and he was just a sweet guy who had trouble facing real life and a future imprisonment .... my sister has been affected for the rest of her life.....that is why i dont believe in legalising heroin.....its not the user who might have to face the consequences its the people who love the person using who will always suffer more....my sister has not had another relationship since.....its been 11 years.....that makes me sad....i blame the addiction and not the addicted....i also blame alcohol for causing unacceptable confronting behaviours in some people.....there should be a scientific test done on all who frequently buy alcohol and they should up the age on consuming and purchasing alcohol its 18 here in australia....way too young....deb

• Author

That is my point, the hypocrisy, that alcohol is so widely acceptable, and the fact that all drugs, even aspirin have the possibility of causing harm, but for only my opinion, I understand yours and others may very, they do not legalize or clean up the ones that are life savoirs for some, maybe temporary, but a life savoir, a coping method.

The pharmeceutical companies keep hashing out for profit meds that imo help very little.

Alcohol was once prohibited and illegal nationally and stock car racing, a huge sport today, grew out of the liquor runners racing to beat the cops with their loot. In some areas, it's still illegal. I've run across many 'dry' counties in my travels and one has to be very careful of the alcohol one is traveling with.

IME, most people I know personally who use illegal substances of the mind-altering type use them regardless of legality. They're just not as open about it as they might be if the stuff were legal. Not too different than people were with alcohol during prohibition. When I was younger, it was heroin, LSD, coke, hash and MJ. Today it's some of those and newer designer drugs synthesized in clandestine labs.

The guy next door to one of my rentals is a regular MJ user (I smell it all the time). Does the money I pay him to mow the lawn go to support his 'coping'? Perhaps, but he does a damn good job of mowing the lawn :)

• Author
Alcohol was once prohibited and illegal nationally and stock car racing, a huge sport today, grew out of the liquor runners racing to beat the cops with their loot. In some areas, it's still illegal. I've run across many 'dry' counties in my travels and one has to be very careful of the alcohol one is traveling with.

IME, most people I know personally who use illegal substances of the mind-altering type use them regardless of legality. They're just not as open about it as they might be if the stuff were legal. Not too different than people were with alcohol during prohibition. When I was younger, it was heroin, LSD, coke, hash and MJ. Today it's some of those and newer designer drugs synthesized in clandestine labs.

The guy next door to one of my rentals is a regular MJ user (I smell it all the time). Does the money I pay him to mow the lawn go to support his 'coping'? Perhaps, but he does a damn good job of mowing the lawn :)

I know, but the very fact that one could lose everything by doing so, makes it difficult to do. A substance like meth, I do frown upon, because it is not natural, it is like drinking draino....sick stuff. Organic okay.

I happen to live in a large 'growing' area, both for the organic stuff as well as the synthesized stuff, and see first hand how people balance the risks versus the benefits on a large scale. The end users are hardly on the radar and usually get caught up in the legal end of it only as collateral damage. No one I know personally has ever had legal issues and some have been using since I was young, meaning decades, recreationally, just like I drink a beer after work.

Personally, if it were all legalized/de-criminalized tomorrow, my use choices wouldn't change as a life-long non-user but I'd feel more comfortable about making legal business choices and expanding potential business to the now-legit producers. As it is now, I'm a bit worried that I could get caught up in the collateral damage, perhaps not much differently than an end user except I wouldn't/don't get to enjoy the 'benefits' of the product.

• Author
I happen to live in a large 'growing' area, both for the organic stuff as well as the synthesized stuff, and see first hand how people balance the risks versus the benefits on a large scale. The end users are hardly on the radar and usually get caught up in the legal end of it only as collateral damage. No one I know personally has ever had legal issues and some have been using since I was young, meaning decades, recreationally, just like I drink a beer after work.

Personally, if it were all legalized/de-criminalized tomorrow, my use choices wouldn't change as a life-long non-user but I'd feel more comfortable about making legal business choices and expanding potential business to the now-legit producers. As it is now, I'm a bit worried that I could get caught up in the collateral damage, perhaps not much differently than an end user except I wouldn't/don't get to enjoy the 'benefits' of the product.

They really went overboard with pot, some plants produced look like giant alien species. Also spraying it with so many additives, the natural product alone cannot be enjoyed.

It matches the silage corn better that way :)

And you think the real money in dairies is the butterfat subsidies? LOL.

Thing is, greed is a natural human characteristic so every inch that is given up legally, someone will test that limit, and the next one and the next one. If everyone could behave responsibly and with civility and concern for their fellow citizens, we wouldn't need laws or guys and gals with guns to enforce them. Human nature is what it is. I remember back in the 70's when friends had grow labs in their garages; they could've just grown enough for their own use but got caught up in the greed part and the lure of easy cash. Human nature. Some became quite wealthy (compared to their peers) and then moved into legitimate businesses in their 20's and haven't touched the stuff since.

Just imagine if the tobacco companies lobbied for MJ and applied their mass production technologies to its growth, processing and marketing. Scary. Talk about additives...

It all comes down to personal choice and how we're influenced, or not, by society and other humans around us. When a person 'copes', one still has choices. There are a myriad of potentials and outcomes, each with their own bag of 'stuff' (consequences). That's what living is all about.

• Author

Good thought. What is life. The only peace in life is death, the rest is handed to you in a very deceptive overrated grossly bowed and flowered handbasket.

• Author

That is my point, the hypocrisy, that alcohol, is so acceptable, while, dangerous, anything can be addictive, it is up to the user's responsibility to not let it be an influence that is over the top.

I would never consider myself under the influence of anything particular, I take prescribed controlled substances everyday, without misusing them to the point of becoming over the top.

The point with H, if it is clean, it's reputation is full of lies and misrepresentations. Yes, there is a subgroup who take it to the extremes, as with any other substance.

These are my thoughts, an opinion, not at all, do I expect all to agree. Was just thinking about exercise, and weightlifting, have you seen how extensively that can be abused to the point of extremes, pics of men or women, the color of orange glo, roided up.

• Author

Another internal reason for mentioning this is like a self note. I am going through a grieving like process, and my prescribed meds, are making it worse. I know what I need to get through this, and have always been one to be functional and responsible with any use.

I am fighting that urge. I fight because of the implications, and the implications being I could lose alot, if I give in to my urge. I know it would get me up and running, but I cannot do it.

I can so relate to this I too have been using alcohol to cope with my problems is not pretty marriage in trouble is not an easy place to be. I hope we can make it before is to late

• Author
I can so relate to this I too have been using alcohol to cope with my problems is not pretty marriage in trouble is not an easy place to be. I hope we can make it before is to late

I am not sure I understand your meaning, but feel sad with you that alcohol is needed to cope with marriage troubles.

This thread is about how acceptable it is for people to use alcohol, to lighten up, to feel a buzz, to feel chatty, and also acceptable for colleges to have huge frat parties, get wasted, people of all ages have wild get togethers, and get wasted off alcohol, but the functional use, not out of hand use of other substances is not accepted, and many have far few side effects, change in behavoir to the leveling degrees of alcohol.

Edited by Brit