new relationship with a recovering herion addict

Ok...let me start from the begining. We met when he was using and only had an online and xt relationship. He had just gotten busted for dope and they gave him the option of rehab or prison. He did the 42 days in rehab without methadone or suboxone. He now lives in a sober house works an 8 to 5 job goes to the gym and meetings 5 or 6 times a week. I am a very compassionate woman who is recently divorced (about a year) and grew up in a normal loving household. I had some hardships in my life used drugs a few times and never was addicted. I have very strong feelings for this man (he is 26 I am 29) he has a wall up, which is understandable. He lost his fiance 3 years ago and hangs on to this . I want to be there for him every step of the way I am a very loyal and devoted woman and he is to hit his 90 days tomorrow. My question is what do I do...

His mother walked out on him at a young age and he has trust issues. I was raped and my ex husband was abusive so I really feel like we connect on that level of having hardships in life which is something that I think we connect on a deeper level than most do. He is scared that if he let's it get deeper and something were to happen he would want to use I do not want to be selfish but I have fallen pretty hard...is it a lost cause or do I fight for this because he happens to be almost everything I have ever wanted in a man he is brilliant funny and kind. We share the same beliefs. Someone give me some kind of insight on what I should do please!

Feelin Frisky

You of course must know that he'll get a lot of grief in NA for having a relationship in the first year, much less the first three months. I'm no one to push the NA mantra of no relationship until one year clean but there is certainly something to that--it's not arbitrary, people relapse in a hurry when they have to feel things they are not used to putting into proportions soberly. So, that said, if you proceed, be aware that no one is healed after three months--especially with the heaviest narcotic opiate there is out there. You may be right for each other and your love the key to recovery or you could well be the opposite. Only trying and time will tell. "Easy does it" as the saying goes.

• Author

So just go day by day...this is the longest he has ever been clean. And we see each other a lot. I just I guess need to know if I am being selfish by wanting this. Because I don't think its possible for us to just be friends. I know he wants this too he accidently dropped the l word. And know it will be a one sided relationship he needs more support. Its a very difficult spot

He has to learn to live life sober. That's not going to be easy for him.

It's great that you have the feelings you do for him, and wonderful that you're so compassionate and kind...but this relationship could be problematic for both of you.

Everyone needs a friend. And if you could be a friend to him right now, and support him, that would be awesome. Romantic relationships can bring a whole different set of experiences and expectations to the table. Experiences and expectations that might be too much for him. Asking him to maturely deal with a relationship like that might not be quite fair to him at this point.

Then there's you. It's not really fair to you either. I know this is something you want, but in all fairness, you haven't had to walk this path.

I think developing a friendship that would give you a solid foundation for a relationship a little while later is probably the safest and most advantageous thing for you both.

If you believe in recovery 100 percent join Al Anon or Nar Anon. Get on your own recovery journey and the answers will become clear. My ex was a recovering heroin addict. What I learned from a disaster of a marriage was that i had problems as bad as his addiction. I got help and am better. As for him, he's okay, but got in marriage for hire scheme and is off and on narcotics.

I know you love him, but I hope you love yourself. People who are codependent tend to fall for addicts. Be sure that you love him in healthy and proper way. Good luck.

Mme. Chaucer

From your post, I believe that your boyfriend is actually torn between wanting to take this early clean and sober time to work on himself (as he's surely being advised in his program(s)) and his feelings for you.

Since you believe you truly love him, please just stop moving forward with the relationship - keep things in a holding pattern until he has quite a bit more time. He is feeling nervous and insecure about the possibility of a relapse triggered by relationship stuff for a good reason.

The percentage of heroin addicts who are able to maintain a clean and sober life for any length of time IS VERY SMALL. So it's a real, real good idea for the recovering person to just put their self-will on the back burner for a while and follow in the footsteps of others who have succeeded, rather than trying to do it "their way," which clearly has not worked out well so far.

You yourself have been divorced for less than a year, and you got involved with this man when you were divorced for WAY less than a year. So, just knowing that, I believe that you, too, could be much better prepared for a good and healthy relationship if you concentrated more on healing yourself during this time.

I STRONGLY second Cee's advice to get involved with Al-Anon or Nar-Anon.

I also believe that your feeling of connection with an addict because of each of your negative life experiences is NOT a good start. I understand COMPLETELY, though, how that is. But, if you work on yourself, you can come to a place in life where you connect with others based upon positive things rather than pain, abuse, etc.

I've been on both sides of this - I am a recovering addict myself, and I was married to one (who ended up back on heroin).

As others have said, a relationship brings it's own set of challenges that may interfere with addiction recovery. You need to give him time to learn to deal with life while sober before bringing a relationship into the mix. You can be a friend and be supportive, but this may not be the right time to try to establish more than that.

Also, as Mme. Chaucer pointed out, you feel you have a connection because you have both been through hardships. But that is not a stable base from which to build a lasting partnership. Having been through very difficult experiences is not the same as sharing interests or hobbies. You may feel that because of those traumatic experiences you can be more sympathetic, but what you can't be is a mind-reader or fortune-teller. You have no idea how his recovery is going to go, or how it's going to affect him, or how he's going to deal with it.

Put aside the idea of having a romantic relationship with this man so that both of you can focus on yourselves. It seems like you may benefit from taking some time to heal from your past relationship. That way you will be able to evaluate the prospect of this or other future relationship based on positive merits rather than feeling a connection because of hardships.

dreamingoftigers

Be his friend if you like. I would never get involved with a guy that had anything less then 9-12 months of sobriety. That's just too much risk.

rtyuiogstlttkqdo

the north face outlet nothface womens north face the north face hoodie the north face clothing the north fac http://www.northface the north face backpacks northface hedgehog northface nuptse cheap northface jacket north face backpack men s northface north face women fleece th north face northface for cheap white northface northface long coat northface pullovers hiking shoes burton face the north north face women shoes northface gillets cheapest north face kids northface fleece pink northface jacket womans northface jackets northface momentum jacket the north face for men Backpacking trip is young people's the north face life style in those days. The hikers are able to adapt themselves to different circumstances. They eat kinds of food, such as hamburger, hot dog, long bread, Japan rice balls and India curry rice. The 20-year-old Doug abd the 22-year-old Thompkins were live in Malian county. They were this kind of backpacking and good friends. They often on hiking and camping together. Doug liked mountaineering and enjoyed making some mountaineering eqiupment. Thompkins have a crush on rock climbing at the same time. At present, they took a van to climb Mount Whitney in Nevada. cut mood in Oregon, catch tuna St. lake. The pair of shoes once companied him by van from New York to California in countless times and sailed in panama strait. Now the soles were so thin that have cracked. Fur has serious worn like his backbag. While Thompkins was recalling the days of the grand canyon of the Colorado river. Walking north from the scenic downtown of San Francisco, passing through the world famous golden gate bridge, then arrive in a long and narrow peninsula, where locate in the MaLian county. The county faces to the Pacific at one side, and the north face vest other side face to golden gate bay. There are many tall annatto in the county who keep original style. The income of the residents here is the highest in America. So they have enough money to be engaged in outdoor exercises.While trekking through the backcountry, many backpackers consider a reliable tent for shelter to be an essential gear item. The North Face provides a wide variety of gear for outdoor enthusiasts, including clothing, backpacks and tents. The North Face Talus is a two-person, lightweight backpacking tent, weighing about six pounds. This tent is ideal tp transport into the backcountry, and provides a durable, Some people also have north face parka added vents in the chimney that capture heat as it rises, and then radiates it back into the room. This is better than nothing, but not much better.A quality fireplace wood stove can be just as efficient as a free standing cast iron wood stove. The only real difference is that one is inside the fireplace and the other is outside of it. Installation can be a bit more work as well, but today's inserts are designed for the purpose of fitting in with the rest of the room and are easy to work with.A thermometer really helps as well to monitor the creosote build up in your stove pipe. Creosote forms when the gases from the fire cool and solidify. This is highly combustible and very dangerous if it catches fire. With the thermometer you can ensure that the fire is hot enough to minimize the build up of creosote. A good hot fire will keep things cleaned out. Going with the pink territory, the newer north face canada designs of the pink North Face jacket are in plush fabrics and satin-like quilting. The 'Mossbud' ' zip fleece pullover looks especially luxurious in pink aurora pink. Get cozy in front of a fireplace with the 'Mossbud' on and it could easily become your favorite pink North Face jacket of all time!Durable and waterproof design bring warmth and comfort to hikers, no matter how frezzing outside, you can fit for any activities. Also expand brands for womens and kids, north face designed series for family. Highlight in mountain, you can easily find out the position of your family members, share happiness with them, strucing with them, spending time with them. You will find life is so wanderful, also in this situation, pressure, work and something else abandon, just think about happiness. This may be the best time for you. For a lot of people, they may throw away this idea and then change to others, but you should not. Just prepare for professional hiking equipment, you will take it easy. Also expand brands for womens and kids, north face designed series for family. Highlight in mountain, you can easily find out the position of your family members, share happiness with them, strucing with them, spending time with them. You will findnorth face sale life is so wanderful, also in this situation, pressure, work and something else abandon, just think about happiness. This may be the best time for you.With the popularity of North Face Jackets, both stores and online shops all sale North Face Jackets, as the best outlet in the world, no matter from materials to styles, lastest North Face Outlet all want to explain the new interpretation of winter sports. For North Face jackets are made from Polartec 300 fleece that has been treated with a DWR finish. These jackets have abrasion resistant nylon overlays on the upper body and elbow.

dreamingoftigers

Actually I just thought of something. It sounds like you both are pulling together because of how broken you both are. That is a terrible foundation for any relationship that sets it up for failure.

• 4 weeks later...

if he is following a good program , he should have no realtionships in the first year .. be careful... yall both sound banged up .. if its meant to be , it will be ..