4 days quit...Why am I so sick?

findingnemo

I am coming to the end of the 4th day since I quit smoking. I've smoked for 16 years and have quit 3 times in those years. I always started smoking again and I realize that it was because I would quit because "it was the right thing to do" and not that "it is the right thing for me". Well, I now know that I will never smoke again. I will not allow this "thing" to rule me, my health and my life.

So please, please tell me how to deal with day 4, 5, 6...I feel sick!! I am nauseated all the time. I chewed so much candy I don't want to see another piece. I can't sleep at night, can't concentrate, can't enjoy food, I'm too weak to go to the gym...the list is endless. How long is this going to go on for?

Anybody with good advice? Help!!!

laRubiaBonita

i think you are in one of the hardest parts of the process. And i have heard you can actually get sick when you quit smoking.

drink lots of water and try to think of positive things!

Good luck!

I think the intense, physical withdrawal is about over. Try to drink a lot of water and be gentle with yourself. Exercise might help too. I don't think it's necessary to do your full gym workout, but something to get the endorphins going would help.

The lack of concentration might take a while longer to lift. Nicotine has a strong affinity to certain receptors in the brain and it will take a while till your neurochemistry becomes normal again.

• Author
findingnemo
I think the intense, physical withdrawal is about over. Try to drink a lot of water and be gentle with yourself. Exercise might help too. I don't think it's necessary to do your full gym workout, but something to get the endorphins going would help.

The lack of concentration might take a while longer to lift. Nicotine has a strong affinity to certain receptors in the brain and it will take a while till your neurochemistry becomes normal again.

Thanks, Rubia.

From your lips (or fingertips) to God's ears, Cee. I will go to the gym tomorrow. Thanks.

• Author
findingnemo
That's what I want to know...Day 2 for me :(

Day 2 and 3 are the worst or so all the sites say. Hang in there!! Day 5, today is slightly better for me.

For me the worst day was day 7 I literally cried!!

Good news is, after that it got a lot easier really quickly.

Day 8 I felt so free - best feeling ever.

It was almost 14 years ago.

It took me over 6 months to become completely indifferent though. But those temptations were rare, short and not nearly as bad as the first week.

Just hang in there! Don’t give up

PurpleReign

Get some type of nicotine replacement and wean yourself from it. (Since it's already been a few days since you've had any nicotine, don't start at the highest dose as if you'd just quit.)

I used the Nicotrol Inhaler and it helped tremendously! (You'll need a prescription.)

Keep up the good work!!!

• Author
findingnemo
For me the worst day was day 7 I literally cried!!

Good news is, after that it got a lot easier really quickly.

Day 8 I felt so free - best feeling ever.

It was almost 14 years ago.

It took me over 6 months to become completely indifferent though. But those temptations were rare, short and not nearly as bad as the first week.

Just hang in there! Don’t give up

Thanks anastarija. Today is day 7 and it is thankfully coming to an end. The pangs seemed less frequent today but more intense somehow. i can't wait. Thanks again.

Sorry I'm late here..but I'm new. :) I would suggest taking detox baths as well, with epsom salts. The more epsom salts, the better. Scrub your body with a dry brush before bathing, to open up those pores real good so that you can get the toxins out.

It's not going to help with the cravings, but getting that crap out is only going to make you feel better! Do it as often as you feel like it.

Hang in there...I've never heard anyone say they regret quitting smoking. Plenty say they regret starting, though. You can do this. Stay strong, and good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks, Rubia.

From your lips (or fingertips) to God's ears, Cee. I will go to the gym tomorrow. Thanks.

hi nemo..i would recommend peppermint candies, cold water, cold showers, and sometimes..just sometimes i sniff a little from my vicks inhaler.:love:

i remember one time i woke my sister up for some cigs. any cigs. i smoked marlboro reds and i even begged for her old, crushed, menthols. she was like"go take a shower.." :lmao:

Feelin Frisky

I wasn't sick when I finally stopped. I had to keep in motion though--hitting the exercise bike or going for a walk every time I had the obsession come on. I had to change all my routines because I had been smoking for so long from such a young age I couldn't remember what it was like to be an adult and not smoke. Thankfully I made it out of that awful scourge.

LakesideDream

Drink a lot of water and juice, get as much rest as you can. It gets better. I'm past a year and a half and it's such a blessing. I can't imagine how'd I'd make it paying for cigs!