Clean for almost three years then...I fell off

I started drinking regularly when I was finishing high/secondary school and continued regularly drinking until just before 2006 (5 years almost). First I started social drinking then I quickly decided drinking alone could be done too. When I started adding cocaine to that I quit both after a few months, helped by a trip to a fair few conservative countries where drinking lands you in jail. Not drinking put me in an awkward place socially but I found new friends and kept it up. Eventually though, when I knew that money wouldn't be a major issue at all and it was brought out at a party, I started using cocaine again and that soon developed into using anything I could get my hands on. Few weeks later I came downstairs at night and just started drinking again, recently it's put a lot of strain on my relationship (we've pretty much broken up but now I have an open relationship lol) and I know that I've really set myself up for a battle. I honestly thought that 3 years clean would be enough to kill the desire for alcohol but ultimately it only made it stronger. I don't think I'm an alcoholic but I do have an alcoholics in the family history on my mother's side for a few generations back so it wouldn't surprise me. The only illegal drug I do is cocaine.

while it's never good to "fall off". don't sweat it. just jump right back on the so called wagon.

Desperado620

That's the great thing about quitting. You can quit as many times as you need to. I've quit smoking five or six times. :)

I've no experience with alcoholism, it does run in my family but my parents were not effected and shielded me from family members that were. I also hate most hard liquor, tastes like gasoline to me, and beer is just gross. So, I'm no help with that part. I did do cocaine for some time while waiting tables between high school and college, and that was a hard one to kick. Finally, one day, I didn't have any money and was tearing apart my bedroom for things to pawn for coke money. That was my bottom. I thought, "what the f**k am I doing? I'm into this way to deep!" Haven't done it since.

Good luck to you, and even if you aren't on the wagon, at least you're trying to catch up!

When you "fall off" the wagon... do they say that because presumably in antiquity if you were drunk you'd literally fall of the wagon?