!! weed

confuzedgurl

Ok so like, my best friend who's a guy is doing weed!!! HE IS MY VERY GOOD FRIEND WHO HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR ME!!!! he took it once and said he liked the feelin but didnt do it again... lately lots of bad things has been happenin and he told me that he's gonna do it again!! i tried to convince him not to do it and i told him that i used to do drugs too but i stopped..it was hard though... he still did it though!!! im scared he'll do it again then again then again until he gets addicted to it....im scared as hell cuz i had another friend who sucided cuz of drugs..... I DONT WANT TO LOSE ANOTHER FRIEND!!! im desperate here!!!! i dont know wat to do to stop him from doin it again!!!

Eh, I wouldn't really freak out over some MaryJane...

by no means do I condone smoking pot but it's not the end of the world. Hopefully, you didn't freak out on him the way you are right now because if you were freaking out...he probably was not doing so much listening.

Maybe try again in a couple of days.

weed is not an addicting drug. further, all you can realistically do is calmly tell him you don't want him to do drugs and explain your reasons why. ultimately, it is his decision whether he wants to smoke pot or not; same goes for all other drugs. all you can do, after you have expressed your opinions and concerns, is decide be there for him in the unfortunate event that weed usage spirals out of control and into other, truly dangerous and addictive drugs.

but that is later, in the grand scheme of things. hopefully it won't happen, and it might not since smoking pot a few times is no big deal, really, especially in the younger years.

truly, though, just tell him what you think and chill out. pot is not all that bad. i don't think it's bad at all, actually. maybe you should just have a doobie with him and chillax.

When I started smoking pot in HS, most of my friends stopped talking to me. Then they all realized that they weren't being good friends, so they came back. Now we are still best friends. And half of them do drugs as well. My best friend still doesn't, but he is a leading proponent of the legalize drugs campaign.

• Author
confuzedgurl

oh realli?...i didnt freak in front of him.....i dont know, when i was writin this i got a bit hyper i guess...lol...well, if it's not a addictin drug then tat should be ok....

It's not supposed to be physically addictive but although many people would disagree with me, it is a gateway drug.

It's not supposed to be physically addictive but although many people would disagree with me, it is a gateway drug.

A Three Musketeers bar can be a "gateway drug" if you have an addictive personality.

Don't believe everything the Holy War On Drugs tells you... :)

Is that so? Because...I've tried both pot and a 3 Musketeers bar and I definitely don't see that same correlation that you see.

I'll bet you did the weed first. :laugh:

I've known a lot of smokers over the years, many that started in junior high school. A rough breakdown after, say, the end of college (roughly a 10-year span of time)-

60% quit totally

20% smoke less than they used to

10% smoke more

5% switched to alcohol as a drug of choice

5% went on to other, "harder" drugs

Of course, availability determines to a large extent what you get into - the kids in the inner-city have easier access now to crack than weed, so that's what they use. True, they might have started with a joint, like so many kids smoke their first (nicotine) cigarette. But the connection between doing a doobie and becoming a trashed-out heroin fiend just doesn't exist in the real world, except as coincidence.

Gateway just means that it's the first illegal drug that people usually do. If alcohol was illegal, it would be concidered "the" gateway.

Weed doesn't just magically make you want to do harder drugs. It just opens the door to the black market.

Weed will effect some people differently. I for instance, could quit and have for long periods of time. Some of my friends are serious weed fiends. And some just do it every blue moon. I prefer weed over alcohol because alcohol makes me throw up very easily. And drunk just doesn't feel good to me. I drink for a slight buzz, but I smoke for the sky.

Some of these friends are way "burned out", and others that smoke more are some of the sharpest tacks in the box.

Bottom line!!! Pot never killed anyone, won't make you a violent criminal, and will cure your glocoma. Will probably make you lazy, but so will TV.

Gateway just means that it's the first illegal drug that people usually do. If alcohol was illegal, it would be concidered "the" gateway.

Weed doesn't just magically make you want to do harder drugs. It just opens the door to the black market.

Here, here.

It's simply the fact that it puts you in touch with people who may be selling other drugs that gives this stupid perception.

It's the users choice if they progress to something else or not. Simply knowing how to get it doesn't mean they have to.

To the OP:

MJ isn't physically addictive. Some may or may not agree that it can be habit forming - I personally would say it can be.

But I think you're freaking out a little too much over this.

If you want to help your friend, make sure you're there to help him and listen to him. Try not to freak out too much over this. Support him, and if you are really worried, point him in the way of some informative information about MJ and users:

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html

I agree with LK.

Ultimately its your friends decision, and you freaking out like that isn't going to stop him doing anything.

I appreciate your concern, but our job as a good friend is to be there and offer support and friendship, not to control or try to live their lives for them.

How old is your friend?