marijuana

ok well ive been smoking pot for about a year now, and i only do it about 1 time a month on average. i am only 16 but i havent done it for at least 4 months now, ever since i met this amazing girl who i am best friends with now, and since i came to go to school here in mexico and stuff for a while. but anyways, when she asked me if i smoked pot i told her i tried it but i dont do it anymore, and ever since i said that i havent done it, but i know that if something doesnt work out between us i will be more than happy to go back to the us and get blazed as **** with all my friends. so well rite now i have no urge to smoke it at all, but i know i probably will again in the future. al i want to know is, is it really that bad, i mean i understand all the health risks and all that, and the effects arent that bad but i guess i just dont really have any reason not to do it... what is your oppinion? is there any reall reason i shouldnt go back to smoking pot? thanks for your input.

-Its illegal

The rest of my reasons are subjective as each of us will react differently on a mental aspect when dealing with marijuana.

As long as smoking doesn't interfere with school/relationships or anything else, then i don't see the problem in doing it. I do it every week or so and i still get A's/B's in all my classes. As long as it is not becoming an addiction, then there are really no health problems that you should worry about. :D (Also don't listen to anyone who says its mentally bad for you, all that $hit is made up by the government during the "Refer Madness" era in the 40's)

(Also don't listen to anyone who says its mentally bad for you, all that $hit is made up by the government during the "Refer Madness" era in the 40's)

You can only speak for yourself on that one. Like I said, each of us will react differently to the effects of it.

Just use it in moderation and don't let it control your life. It is like drinking. Nothingw rong with having a drink or two on the weekend or drinking socially but if you need to be drunk all the time you have a problem. Approach weed the same way.

I smoke the dubya almost everyday as long as I have the cash. Wish I could quit the cigs so I could spend that money on more dubya.

Drugs are yucky!!! Who knows WHAT they put in them?!

I wish people would hide other free drugs in my nugs. Love me some judy-fly.

But it's true, some people are effected strangely. I seem to be immune to the stupification effects of mota.

Citizen Erased
i understand all the health risks and all that, and the effects arent that bad

This sentence alone suggests you are NOT mature enough nor educated enough on the subject to be even contemplating using it again. It DOES have very bad effects. My uncle has schizophrenia because of his heavy use during his teen years. A woman at work's son just killed himself because he also had schizophrenia from his use of pot. It happens, and it doesn't just happen to idiot junkies who are into the hard stuff. It has been proven to be unsafe, yet somehow it is not treated as life threatening when it IS.

I am not one to judge, seeing as I was a part of that 'crowd" whilst a teenager. But at least be aware of the risks you are taking. I used to always get so annoyed with adults saying "you aren't invincible, this can ruin your life." But now when I look back on my old friends, NONE of them have done anything with their potential. One of them, he was so smart, good looking and a great guy. Now getting one word out of him is like pulling teeth. He is just stupid lazy and an all out bum. This was my first love! :eek:

Just enjoy your teen years without a full time haze and you will appreciate it all the more so.

Marijuana is, when used with moderation, harmless.

Smoking it once a month won't have any affect on you health-wise.

Now, if you know you have mental issues (autism, schizophrenia, depression) you should not mess with drugs at all (not even alcohol).

And if you've done it once and the experience was negative, don't do it again.

The real problem with Pot is when you use it 24/7.

It numbs you out and you won't be able to do your daily work properly.

And one last thing:

Marijuana is a gateway drug, most people that are addicted to harddrugs once started out using Marijuana. Not getting high on Marijuana anymore means you're doing it too much, don't go try out other drugs.

Your brain is still developing- why not wait until it stops? Give yourself a couple of years and come back to it as an adult. Pot will still be there- can't imagine its going to be wiped off the face of the planet anytime soon.

• Like 1

Pot does not give you schizophrenia, but it will accelerate the development of it in someone that would have most likely developed it anyway!

My best friend in high school, who had schizophrenia in a close family member, developed his condition soon after graduation and after a couple years of drug use. I think it was the acid, not the pot, that finally pushed him over.

Mental illness and most drugs do not mix.

I would however suggest that if you have something like autism, post traumatic stress, or anxiety, you should research MDMA.

As far as pot being a "gateway drug" is concerned, this is a silly term. Alcohol is a gateway drug. What is a gateway drug? Nothing is a gateway drug!

The only reason people call it that is because it is the first illegal substance that people tend to come in contact with and use.

Agreed that pot is called a gateway drug only because more people use it. Because more people use it than coke or any other hard drug you are more likely to try it first.

I smoked pot for 2 year almost everyday then stopped. It was causing depression and anxiety for me. I still smoke every once and while.

I dont see anything wrong with it unless it becomes a big part of your life

This sentence alone suggests you are NOT mature enough nor educated enough on the subject to be even contemplating using it again. It DOES have very bad effects. My uncle has schizophrenia because of his heavy use during his teen years. A woman at work's son just killed himself because he also had schizophrenia from his use of pot. It happens, and it doesn't just happen to idiot junkies who are into the hard stuff. It has been proven to be unsafe, yet somehow it is not treated as life threatening when it IS.

It does not have bad effects on EVERYONE. Your uncle might not have had schizo. BECAUSE of smoking weed. It might have already been present and smoking accelerated it. I am not condoning this kid smoking, but we dont need to scare him into thinking that smoking it is going to cause such huge psychological problems.

Also josie, weed is a plant, there are not many things you can "put in it".

Also, It is not a gateway drug. I agree with Blurpie that it can be seen that way because a lot of people who do "harder" things started with weed. Lets be honest.....a LOT of people have smoked weed in their life. I myself have smoked for going on 6 years now, and have never ever even thought about doing anything harder like coke, heroin, even ecstacy. And dont say that smoking makes you less intelligent or motivated. All of that has to do with "who you are" before you smoked.

If anyone wants to debate me on this topic feel free.

I used to work with men who had schizophrenia. Let me clear something up that I had to teach in life skills classes at the mental hospital -- Smoking pot or using ANY drugs DOES NOT CAUSE SCHIZOPHRENIA. Schizophrenia is a mental illness that has a genetic basis. There is also a form caused by the mother contracting a virus while pregnant. Drugs and alcohol do not cause mental illness. The excessive use of drugs and alcohol is a sign that mental illness is pre-existing.

Thanks.

in my experiace smoking is ruining my life really. iv been smoking for 2 years every day and im a mess. my brain is messed up. I have a really bad memory loss and i just dont care about life anymore. I am addicted and am making an effort to get real help with my probblem.

I would say to u that smoking is very addictive, and u should stay away.

. This is my option so dont everybody jump down my throat.

so well rite now i have no urge to smoke it at all

That’s good!

It’s when you can’t stop, or become anxious at the thought of never using again that ... you’ve got a problem. And here’s the tricky part: most people who use recreational drugs even casually don’t recognize where that crossover point is until it’s already too late.

Most kids (myself included when I was your age), will begin to experiment with friends during adolescence. Whether it be pot, alcohol, or anything else that’s offered to them free. There’s something about being young that makes you think you’re invincible and immortal. You know: “That stuff happens to other stupid people ... but not me. I can handle my sh*t.” A military recruiter once told me that this is the kind of can’t dye attitude that makes for the best soldiers ... which is why they like to grab them young. ;)

Also, if you start using drugs at young age and carry on into your twenties or older ... you’re pretty much “stuck” at the mental maturity level you were when you first started. Once you clean up, you have to begin from where you left off, pretty much behind all the other folks your age.

The highs and crashes, along with the mood swings associated with chemical addictions can VERY MUCH mimic psychological disorders. Such as manic behavior, depression, hypertension, aggression, as well as poor impulse control and reasoning skills. What’s worse, is that long term use of artificial chemicals alter your brains ability to produce its own endorphins and/or “pleasure chemicals” ... PERMINATELY. So even when you stop using, it can be difficult to feel any joy or find stimulus in the everyday things ... the happy moments that usually give a healthy brain that endorphin rush naturally. You’re basically in a constant state of depression and/or just emotionally flat-line. Which is why most folks who are able to give up one addiction will usually resort to substituting it with another. That’s why almost everyone in an AA meeting chain smokes and drinks LOTS and LOTS of coffee. :laugh:

Sometimes self-medicating is the symptom of a pre-existing disorder ... and sometimes self-medicating creates the disorder. It’s the chicken or the egg sort of thing. But adolescence and the chemical changes occurring within the brain and body is not a permanent condition in most cases, unless you’re unfortunate enough to screw up that eventual leveling off process with a chemical addiction and end up “stuck” there. :(

Not attempting to dispute anyone’s opinion to the contrary. Just wanted to share what I have learned so far from the MANY professionals who have helped educate and support me through both my ex-husband’s and daughter’s multiple addictions.

Also, if you start using drugs at young age and carry on into your twenties or older ... you’re pretty much “stuck” at the mental maturity level you were when you first started. Once you clean up, you have to begin from where you left off, pretty much behind all the other folks your age.

I am not going to argue your whole post, I just have a very BIG problem with this statement. Where is your proof that this is what happens? I agree that there are many people who start young and smoke weed soooo much that their brains tun to mush and they lack any sort of motivation. They sit on their butts all day watching tv and eating junk food, not caring about anything except when their "guy" is going to come through with some new stuff. But making the statement that you did is generalizing. I have been smoking for about 9 years now. Started when I was 15. I am now 24. I smoke everyday. Some days (usually Saturdays) when I have nowhere that I HAVE to be and nobody that i HAVE to see I will sit at home and be high for hours. It relaxes me. It lowers my stress level, and generally calms me demenor. I do not smoke and drive my car, go out in public, nothing. I do it within the comforts of my own home. As far as being "stuck" at the level you were when you first started smoking.....I must have been a genius. I graduated with a 3.9 GPA. In my senior year I was in 4 AP (advanced placement, one step higher than honors) classes. I got a 1480 on my SATS. I was accepted into the University of Florida straight from High school which is very very difficult to do. All the while smoking just about everyday.....

Where is your proof that this is what happens?

I think a lot of folks make the mistake of equating ‘intelligence’ with emotional maturity. So did I ... in the beginning.

I don’t know what kind of solid “proof” I could possible provide you other than to suggest you take the time to educate yourself on the topic of drug-induced disorders as it relates to psychology and it’s long-term effects on the brain. Hopefully the crash course won’t cost you the same time and money as it did me to become familiar with a subject no one ever wants to have to sign up for in the first place.

Then again, if one is hell bent on discounting any information that might otherwise negate what they wish to believe, (particularly when in the denial stages of their own addiction) then nothing presented to them will qualify (in their minds) as “proof.”

BUT ... wouldn’t want to seem rude by not responding to your direct question, nor leave you thinking that I just pulled this stuff out of my ars for the fun of it. So here’s just one article I was able to find for you that better articulates what I was attempting to explain in my previous post.

Substance use affects many areas of the brain and can cause adverse behavioral, psychological, and social consequences. This is particularly true during adolescence. Adolescence is a unique period of development marked by rapid changes in brain structure, behavior, and social functioning. Recent research strongly suggests that the brain continues to mature during adolescence and into young adulthood (Giedd et al., 1999). For example, millions of new synapses (connections between brain cells) in the frontal lobes are created and organized during adolescence. Nerve cells develop a fatty coating called myelin during adolescence, which allows the brain to function more efficiently. The adolescent brain also has a heightened biological vulnerability to the development of addiction (Chambers, Taylor, & Potenza, 2003); addictive disorders identified in adults usually begin in adolescence or young adulthood (Kandel, Yamaguchi, & Chen, 1992; Wagner & Anthony, 2002).

Because of these changes in the brain, adolescents may be particularly susceptible to the influence of external factors such as substance use (Dahl, 2004). Substance use can interrupt brain development. Some changes in the brain and in functioning may be reversible when drug use stops, but other changes appear to be either permanent or very long-lasting, leading to persistent deficits in memory and motor coordination (National Institute on Drug Abuse, 2001; Tapert & Schweinsburg, 2005). In addition, because each developmental period sets the stage for the next period, delayed development during adolescence may "reverberate" over the course of later development.

Party on! :cool:

I think a lot of folks make the mistake of equating ‘intelligence’ with emotional maturity. So did I ... in the beginning.

I don’t know what kind of solid “proof” I could possible provide you other than to suggest you take the time to educate yourself on the topic of drug-induced disorders as it relates to psychology and it’s long-term effects on the brain. Hopefully the crash course won’t cost you the same time and money as it did me to become familiar with a subject no one ever wants to have to sign up for in the first place.

Then again, if one is hell bent on discounting any information that might otherwise negate what they wish to believe, (particularly when in the denial stages of their own addiction) then nothing presented to them will qualify (in their minds) as “proof.”

BUT ... wouldn’t want to seem rude by not responding to your direct question, nor leave you thinking that I just pulled this stuff out of my ars for the fun of it. So here’s just one article I was able to find for you that better articulates what I was attempting to explain in my previous post.

Party on! :cool:

I dont mistaken Intelligence with emotional maturity. Had my maturity stopped at the the age that I started then I would have been stuck in that "I know everything and dont have to listen to anybody" mindset. I was still mature enough to know that I NEEDED to go to school and do well. I needed a scholarship, and I NEEDED to work my butt off to do these things. Most 15 years olds dont care much about their future and cant see past Friday night with their friends. Getting grounded for a week is like a lifetime!!!!

Also, the study that you quoted- while it does make some interesting points it also says "can" a lot. So that means that it DOES happen, just not to everyone. Now I am NOT in any way shape or form condoning doing drugs of any kind. I am simply saying that these "bad things" dont happen to everyone...

I think herb is like any other drug you might take and it affects different people differently. Some people have very negative side effects, while others have almost none at all. For example the mood stabilizer that I take can create weird side effects in some people. Lucky for me, the only thing it does is cause weight gain.

It is on the same level as drinking. Some can have the occasional beer, some start drinking beer every day, some move on to alcohol, etc etc. To me it depends on the person. If you have an addictive personality, it may lead you down a bad road. But if you have your witts and can use it recreationally and do not have any mental illness, it is no worse then having the occasional glass or two of wine or beer.

I smoked as early as 7th grade. Could take it or leave it but always enjoyed it. Went on to college to become an Engineer.

So.....it just depends on the person.

TMac,

Here is the thing. You are 16.

I am not one to judge either.

However, it would be wise to develop all of your brain cells before you begin to destroy them. Be it alcohol or pot.

You brain is still under development until 18-21. Wait it out, then you have more wiggle room.