Is it meth I'm smelling??

Hello,

I'm new here and noticed that you all were talking about the smell of crack, what I'm wondering is what does meth smell like when someone is smoking it? I'm not concerned about what they smell like in the person because I don't get close to them, these people live above me and I can't stand them on a good day. So sometimes a really bad odor comes through the vents, it smells like burning plastic with something else mixed in. It's been strong enough to make me feel like barfing. I've had to spray air freshing. Today I smelled a sulphuric smell, as if someone had lit a 100 matches. Not sure what that's all about either.

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, I couldn't find it and need some validation as to what I am smelling. Thanks all. :)

Rowan

I've been told that meth cooking smells horrible, something like urine. I have a neighbor that keeps four large dogs, and refuses to clean up after them. A cop told me that's common with cookers because it covers up the smell of the meth.

Just FYI, there is a new round of public service announcements going around warning of the dangers of meth. Neighbors are suffering serious helth problems from just living near a cook, the amount of hazardous waste is awful.

It might not hurt to talk to the police about the smells, if it's nothing then that's cool... but if you don't even do the stuff, it seems pretty crappy to put your health at risk just to be nice.

Island Girl

Could be PSILOCYBIN. (Mushrooms)

http://www.drugtext.org/library/books/recreationaldrugs/psilocybin.htm

"Some prefer boiling the mushroom, skimming the residue from the water's surface, and combining with Kool-Aid or orange juice to create a Fungus Delight. Psilocybin may be sniffed or smoked, if you like the taste and smell of burning plastic. Injection is possible in liquid form."

Pink Amulet

Just FYI, there is a new round of public service announcements going around warning of the dangers of meth. Neighbors are suffering serious helth problems from just living near a cook, the amount of hazardous waste is awful.

Not only this but the chance of an explosion (remember the kind of chemicals being mixed by these drugged-out losers) is extremely high.

I would suggest calling the police instantly.

IfWishesWereHorses

I have a sister who is a teacher and they are required by law to contact social services if a child smells like cat urine.

I have a sister who is a teacher and they are required by law to contact social services if a child smells like cat urine.

Probably not a bad thing either way, just hope the cat doesn't get locked in a bedroom and have an accident lol.

Man, I forgot about the explosions, I've seen the aftermath. They can take out a whole building. Yeah, I'd file a report... better safe than sorry.

justpassingthrough

I live in the mid-west. Not much newsy-news here. Headlines are typically a two-car accident or a house fire. The fires are cause by one of two things:

1.) Someone put the damned turkey fryer too close to the house; or

2.) A meth lab exploded.

Call the police. You don't want to leave it be and fall into category #2.

• Author

I don't think they are cooking it, I am thinking they are smoking it. The smell isn't constant, just now and then, sometimes more than once a day, sometimes I don't smell it for days. A friend of mine talked to an RCMP officer and he said it sounded like they were smoking it. But you never know, I'll talk to the cops myself, just to be on the safe side.

I am having the same problem...I live in AR. in an apt. building..I am a child of the sixties and seventies, so I know what pot smells like but don't know what CRACK smells like or what METH smells like...All I know is that it smells like burning tires mixed with "other things". I also wondered if when you smoke CRACK it makes a noise (hence the name) and if so could it possibly be heard as something akin to billiard balls hitting each other from a distance of say 15-25 ft???

Hello,

I'm new here and noticed that you all were talking about the smell of crack, what I'm wondering is what does meth smell like when someone is smoking it? I'm not concerned about what they smell like in the person because I don't get close to them, these people live above me and I can't stand them on a good day. So sometimes a really bad odor comes through the vents, it smells like burning plastic with something else mixed in. It's been strong enough to make me feel like barfing. I've had to spray air freshing. Today I smelled a sulphuric smell, as if someone had lit a 100 matches. Not sure what that's all about either.

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, I couldn't find it and need some validation as to what I am smelling. Thanks all. :)

Rowan

Diamonds&Rust
Could be PSILOCYBIN. (Mushrooms)

http://www.drugtext.org/library/books/recreationaldrugs/psilocybin.htm

"Some prefer boiling the mushroom, skimming the residue from the water's surface, and combining with Kool-Aid or orange juice to create a Fungus Delight. Psilocybin may be sniffed or smoked, if you like the taste and smell of burning plastic. Injection is possible in liquid form."

Very, very unlikely that you would be able to smell smoked mushrooms outside of the residence it's being smoked in. Also very unlikely that people have a mushroom-smoking habit.

The cracking noise made when crack is smoked is not terribly loud. More like Rice Krispies than firecrackers.

If you think you smell people smoking meth, you probably do. Both crack and meth have a plasticky aroma, and meth smells very strongly.

• Author

These people and I share the same venting system for heat (I've covered all my vents with plastic wrap, tape etc) and that's where the smell would come from. The air intake vent in the their livingroom, I can smell when they make toast.

The plastic burning smell has been sooo strong that it would actually turn my stomach, I also felt a little dizzy and had to spray air freshener to cover it up. One night I was in bed (I sleep with a fan on for white noise) and the smell was so bad I had to cover my head in my blankets and I could still smell it. It was awful. You said meth smells very strongly, well this must be it then. I haven't smelled anything in a little while, and the plastic wrapped vents are helping, also that the heat isn't coming on anymore too. I did try and talk to the building manager about it, but unfortunately she is the mother of one of the idiots upstairs and basically told me I could go to hell and walked away from me. So I'm looking for a new place.

It is good to know that I'm not just imagining things, thanks everyone for your comments. And you're right, Diamonds&Rust, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a damn duck. HA!

Diamonds&Rust

Even if it's not methamphetamines, it sounds really dangerous. Getting out is a good idea. Getting an attorney might be a good one, too.

ask C=Lion (Curmudgeon)

he has had years of experience in law enforcement with this arena. he would know... nice man too.... ;)

Ladywithafan
I am having the same problem...I live in AR. in an apt. building..I am a child of the sixties and seventies, so I know what pot smells like but don't know what CRACK smells like or what METH smells like...All I know is that it smells like burning tires mixed with "other things". I also wondered if when you smoke CRACK it makes a noise (hence the name) and if so could it possibly be heard as something akin to billiard balls hitting each other from a distance of say 15-25 ft???

hmmm....sometimes the rock makes a noise when a smoker hits the pipe but nothing that you'd hear through walls, i.e. not that loud.

• 2 weeks later...
portableversion

wow I was in my old apartment in college it was dark... nighttime about 930 pm I was getting a drink of water in the kitchen which has a view of the neighbors shed in back yard. I saw a flash of white blue light that lit up the whole back yard as if it were day time and then BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost crapped my pants and my military training kicked in I dove and hit the flloor I really thought a bomb went off-- it vibrated our windows.... few weeks later another neighbor informed me he knew those idiots and their lab blew up