A question about pain killers

Is it true if a person self medicates with pain killers that after the high of feeling good the period after becomes very low and can cause thoughts of suicide. Also does a suicide attempt leave a person feeling dead? I feel I have lost my soul and nothing scares me anymore, when you feel/are dead already what is to fear?

Please don't tell me to go for counseling, I am not asking for help, I have accepted myself for who I am. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these questions.

Is it true if a person self medicates with pain killers that after the high of feeling good the period after becomes very low and can cause thoughts of suicide. Also does a suicide attempt leave a person feeling dead? I feel I have lost my soul and nothing scares me anymore, when you feel/are dead already what is to fear?

Please don't tell me to go for counseling, I am not asking for help, I have accepted myself for who I am. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these questions.

Here is what is true: whether caused by drugs, a critical event, or just brain chemistry gone awry, depression is a liar. It puts a black filter over your perspective and makes you believe that you have 'lost your soul' or that there's no hope or that life will never get better. All lies. But that's what depression does. It puts you in a dark tunnel but the world all around is bright - as is your future.

You NEED counseling to get out of the black tunnel and back into the light.

Do NOT accept the bleak outlook you're seeing. It's not a true reflection of what life is. It's a lie that depression is telling you - refuse to be deceived. Get the help you need to beat depression back under the rock where it belongs.

Guest -

I have been on pain meds for quite a while due to multiple medical problems. I do not know the answer to your question. Have I been depressed? Yes, but I don't know if that is because of the pain meds. However if you are thinking of suicide you do need someone to talk to because that is not normal - pain meds or not.

lighthouse

All durgs have side effects. I have never experienced depression after using pain killers, but I don't use them regularly. There are drugs that leave you down the next day, but it isn't an issue as long as you remember that you took drugs the night before and that you aren't REALLY depressed. It is a really bad idea to take a drug to make yourself feel better while in that state, as a vicious cycle develpes and then you find yourself in rehab. Never happened to me, thank god, but I have seen it. Horrible.

Why didn you self-medicate to begin with? That is what you should be addressing, I think. The crash after drug use will only make things worse.

I, too, think you should give counseling a try. Self-medicating is a lot different than using drugs recreationally, and that means that something serious is going on, either emotionally or what have you. Think of it this way, it can't make it any worse.

Here is what is true: whether caused by drugs, a critical event, or just brain chemistry gone awry, depression is a liar. It puts a black filter over your perspective and makes you believe that you have 'lost your soul' or that there's no hope or that life will never get better. All lies. But that's what depression does. It puts you in a dark tunnel but the world all around is bright - as is your future.

You NEED counseling to get out of the black tunnel and back into the light.

Do NOT accept the bleak outlook you're seeing. It's not a true reflection of what life is. It's a lie that depression is telling you - refuse to be deceived. Get the help you need to beat depression back under the rock where it belongs.

Thank you for your post. I do understand depression, I have been through it. My question was if pain killers could leave you with a very low feeling. As Moia stated I find they leave me in a cycle of ups and downs. I don't have the desire for suicide anymore, I have the desire to cause myself pain and then use pain killers. My thoughts are that it is because of past suicide attempts have left me with little feelings towards life.

Guest -

I have been on pain meds for quite a while due to multiple medical problems. I do not know the answer to your question. Have I been depressed? Yes, but I don't know if that is because of the pain meds. However if you are thinking of suicide you do need someone to talk to because that is not normal - pain meds or not.

lighthouse

I am sorry for your situation. I don't use them very regularly at all. At first I did use them for medical reasons. I find the feeling when I use them now utopia.

I am sorry for your situation. I don't use them very regularly at all. At first I did use them for medical reasons. I find the feeling when I use them now utopia.

Thank you but don't be sorry. I am luckier than a lot of people in this world. I know that a lot of people take them to get that high feeling but I don't know about the feelings of ups and downs. I mean, ups and downs are life aren't they? Is that because of your pain medicine or are you using them to get out of a down?

What came first the chicken or the egg?:)

I know you don't want counseling but maybe you should think about it again. Self-mediciating is not really the best way to deal with your problems.

lighthouse