LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Abuse

When to Call Child Services?

Abuse Support for and discussion of psychological, physical, and sexual abuse.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Established Member

When to Call Child Services?

I am not sure if this area of the forum is for families, or not.

Before I begin, I am not in danger.

I am inquiring for the little child that lives in the apartment next door.

I swear every time I move, I get stuck living next to someone who has a loud ass mouth, always angry, yells at their kids, and beats them.

I moved away from an apartment recently for the same reasons. A child who was very little was being beat, literally beaten. I am not talking about a spanking. I am talking I could hear this woman storm through the house on a regular basis berrating her child to the point of tears (the ugly face tears) for hours upon hours. This kid was no older than 8 years old. I could hear her slapping, hitting, etc.

I moved from that apartment, into what I thought would be a better apartment. This time, it is a grandmother and her daughter. Sometimes the boy is there, he can be no older than 6 years old.

I hear her throwing things that hit the wall, I hear her dragging him around, I hear slapping, constant crying through my bedroom wall.

I know this childs name because she screams at him so often.

This woman is not only just angry, she is angry at everything. She has yelled at several other people on the property for parking and whatever else. There was a threat written on the ground in sidewalk chalk because she thought that someone had stolen one of her chairs that had been lost in her move.
I was even walking out to my car once, and she was talking badly and venting about something I had done. I hadn't even spoken two words to the lady. I addressed her "greeting" when she moved into the building.

As I am sitting here now, I have heard this child cry his poor self to sleep.

It is very saddening.

I do not know what to do. Or when it is appropiate to call child services on someone.

Does anyone have any advice?
shellybing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:46 PM   #2
Established Member

Please call ASAP!

If you have any question whether or not you should call, it's better to call. CPS will make the determination whether or not to investigate with the information you give.

And if you are hearing a child being hurt, call the police.
hippychick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Established Member

I even hear her randomley in the middle of the night, while everything is quiet yell out his name and then go storming off. . .
this poor kid.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:09 PM   #4
Established Member

My other online home is Websleuths and there are so many stories there about child abuse ending in death. Children are dying every day at the hands of their caregivers because neighbors didn't want to get involved. Please call.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:30 PM   #5
Established Member

I do believe you can report anonymously? Yes?
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:31 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybing View Post
I do believe you can report anonymously? Yes?
I've never done it, but I've always thought so....?
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:33 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
I've never done it, but I've always thought so....?
me either. . . .

it was these last 2 apartments. I lived next door to that woman, last time I just moved because she would cause problems with me all of the time over some bull****. She was a huge bully.
This lady is the same way. Yells, screams, bully's people around all the time.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:35 PM   #8
Established Member

I will look into it and see if I can report anonomously.

I don't have anything to do with people like that. . .
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:37 PM   #9
Established Member

I couldn't be 100% sure. She could just be a loud ass and throw things around alot, but the cries and screams of the child tell me otherwise.

I dont hear anyone else in this new complex. Only her. Everything else is quite pleasant and quiet.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:38 PM   #10
Established Member

She yells and screams at her dog like that too....but he is quiet until he goes out. The dog is never heard unless he is outside and barking ravenously. At which point she yells at him too. Dog is always dirty and unkepmt.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:39 PM   #11
Established Member

Yes, you can report anonymously. They won’t know it was you you made the report.
hippychick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:39 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybing View Post
I couldn't be 100% sure. She could just be a loud ass and throw things around alot, but the cries and screams of the child tell me otherwise.

I dont hear anyone else in this new complex. Only her. Everything else is quite pleasant and quiet.
It's not your responsibility to determine whether it's something or nothing, but the screams of the child would be enough for me to call.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:46 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
It's not your responsibility to determine whether it's something or nothing, but the screams of the child would be enough for me to call.
I have my own kids.

I don't spank them. They are wonderful children, and I just couldn't. . . .
I am a privelege taker away. They are a bit older though. . . .

I don't want to intrude on someone else life, if that child is taken away from it's family, will it be better off in foster care? Will it have a home to go to?

It could be a life altering experience for this family, and I would hate to be wrong, which is why I am asking where those lines begin and end.

I break down sometimes. I have yelled and been frustrated with my own children. Which is understandable, by any means. For anyone.
What bothers me about this is that it is every day.

I would hate to do a dis service to this child if I were wrong, by calling and reporting.

But as you have said, and you are right - that is not my responsibility.
Old 3rd February 2018, 6:16 AM   #14
Established Member

I would have all of the same concerns you do about calling, and I have very little faith in the authorities or the system to do the right thing. BUT one thing to consider is that unless there is strong concrete evidence, if you are the only one reporting theyre not going to do anything except for possibly give grandma a wake up call. But if you are the 3rd, 4th, 5th to call it may be the call that kicks them into gear.

I called once on one of my closest friends (felt so awful for betraying her). She had beaten her husband so badly over so many years that he was losing his sight in both eyes from that thing that usually only boxers get when their retinas detatch. Neighbors had been calling the police on them a couple times a month for years. As far as I knew she had never physically hurt her kids, but just before I found out she was beating up her H, she told me she was scared because her 5 yr old son was starting to press her buttons just like his dad. She also told me that he was scared of her and would often flinch if she reached towards him. I told cps all of this and other yucky details and clearly her two little ones were lying in bed hearing whatever made the not all that close neighbors call the police. CPS came and interviewed the 5 yr old at school and the came to the (rich white people) home to interview parents and that was the end of story. And they could have, maybe did, look up the dozens of calls to the police. But that was not enough.

I actually do think their poking around did do some good though. I heard thru the grapevine that they high tailed it to a lawyer who told them the best thing was for all of them to get family and individual counceling so it looks good if cps comes around again.

So I say call. They might not do anything but it could help anyway.
grays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018, 10:50 AM   #15

Yes, it will be anonymous. Make the call.

It's unlikely that the child will be removed from the home. The standards are so low... But, it will be a wake up call for this family. And, sometimes CPS can put support in place - require parents to attend parenting classes, etc... Hopefully, there will be some help offered to this family.
BaileyB is offline   Reply With Quote