LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Abuse

Adult Survivors of Child Physical Abuse and Neglect

Abuse Support for and discussion of psychological, physical, and sexual abuse.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2005, 12:59 PM   #46
Established Member

Yes, it's possible to be a good parent as adult survivor of child abuse

Gsujillybean--

Yes, it's possible to be a good parent. Though you probably don't have many good models, you definitely have the bad ones and know what not to do! And you can learn what to do by taking parenting classes, reading parenting books, and working on your own issues with boundaries. As TinkTink says, we do have a tendency to perhaps be too lenient at times out of fear we'll hurt our kids. I noticed at times my distance with my children at one point when they were little and really a handfull and realized the distance was because I was stressed and fearful I might lose it with them.

In many ways, adult survivors are aware of things most people don't even think about, and it's that awareness and discipline to be a good parent that can make us better parents than most. But we have to work on managing stress because parenting is the hardest job in the world. Your own issues will rear their ugly Hydra-like heads at times, so it's important to keep doing your own recovery work. Congrats on your new life! May it be blessed with bliss and lack of sabotaging your own happiness. Keep on . . .
Becoming

Last edited by Becoming; 14th November 2005 at 1:14 PM..
Becoming is offline   Reply With Quote