Male Victims of Domestic Violence

Samuelx

I just had an enlightening conversation with a man about DV which is, as you know, domestic violence. I KNOW that the situation can be very complicated.

Sometimes, men hit women. Sometimes, women hit men. Sometimes, men hit men. Sometimes, women hit women. It does happen. We all have seen it.

Or know someone who has.

I just wanted to let the most Under-Served victims of DV, the men, to know that there is some help available.

Battered Men's HelpLine

S.A.F.E. or Stop Abuse For Everyone.

http://www.batteredmenshelpline.org

S.A.F.E. can be reached at http://www.safe4all.org and helps Battered men in heterosexual relationships, gays and lesbians.

There is also the Gay Men's Domestic Violence Project or GMDVP which can be reached at http://www.gmdvp.org.

The GMDVP can be reached at the Crisis Line: 1-800 -832- 1901

There is also IT DOES HAPPEN which can be reached at http://www.itdoeshappen.org

All of these services differ from ALL others in that they do understand that in domestic violence cases, sometimes the men get abused. It's not simply a problem of men beating on women. Sometimes, the women beat on the men. Sometimes, men beat on other men as well. It's a universal issue.

Originally posted by Samuelx

I just wanted to let the most Under-Served victims of DV, the men, to know that there is some help available.

Battered Men's HelpLine

is this some sort of joke SAMUELX? I cannot see too many battered men calling this #. I think they'd rather suffer in silence than have a cop car pull up with two policemen laughing hysterically.

I can't believe the ignorant remarks above. :mad:

Nobody with a brain would laugh at an abused man. And Samuelx has done a service by listing these numbers.

WTF is wong with you bunch? This is a very serious issue. Men are abused at roughly the same percentage as women are; it's just that women aren't usually physically capable of inflicting the same amount of physical damage.

If you'd click on those links, you could inform yourselves about the issue rather than tossing stupid remarks about.

Originally posted by moimeme

Nobody with a brain would laugh at an abused man. And Samuelx has done a service by listing these numbers.

WTF is wong with you bunch? This is a very serious issue. Men are abused at roughly the same percentage as women are;

yes MOIMEME, i am aware of this but i was joking around. men don't report it many times cause of the embarassement factor.

actually, it is as serious as male on female physical abuse cause there are no battered men shelters I know of.

but it is ironic how if a man beat the krap out of a woman he most likely will go to jail but if a woman does it to a man the likelihood of prosectuion and jail for her is prob 1%.

funny how society and double-stds work, is it not??

If I stopped to think real seriously about all the horrid things that still exist in society, I'd have to jump off the balcony out there. But if folks who care do something about it, even if it's just helping to educate a couple of people, maybe things will improve.

If you're going to joke, use the dang flangety emoticons.

Samuelx, thank you for the good post.

DV isn't something to be joked about. More and more men are coming out of the shadows to report abuse worldwide. Since 1999 Taiwan has seen a 2,700% increase in men reporting domestic violence from their female partners not because there is more domestic violence but because it is becoming less of a stigma for men to come forward after being abused by a woman.

Not so long ago it was widely accepted that men were the abusers and women were the victims. Some believed that women just could not be violent. What is known widely now is that women can be violent just like men can. Perhaps one of the best things to happen was the collection of statistics regarding violence in lesbian relationships--that data proved that women can be violent and now the cops realize this.

It used to be common to see literature on DV talking about the abuser as "he" and the victim as "she" now when these "old" documents are reprinted it is generally acknowledged that the abuser and victim can be of any gender.

Cops don't laugh at a male victims of a female abusers and why should they? Does it not take more self control and courage not to strike back and call the police vs hitting back?

bluechocolate
Originally posted by moimeme

WTF is wong with you bunch? This is a very serious issue. Men are abused at roughly the same percentage as women are; it's just that women aren't usually physically capable of inflicting the same amount of physical damage.

If you'd click on those links, you could inform yourselves about the issue rather than tossing stupid remarks about.

You are right Moi - for my part, I had my tongue firmly in my cheek. I should have used the :rolleyes:.

Young men are the largest group to suffer from assault - but I guess they're just asking for it. :rolleyes:

I don't see this situation any different than when the woman is the victim. So I'm not going to say anything that i wouldn't tell a woman. No matter who is doing the violence, its still violence. Men are the underrated victims. I'm glad you got that out there to let people know that obviously its serious enough where they would have organizations out there to help such men.