Never ending with my ex abuser

startinganew777

startinganew777

I was in a relationship last year, boyfriend moved in, finally saw his bad temper people told me about and in one big argument in Oct., he locked me out of my own place, bashed down my bedroom door, assaulted me by picking me up by what he says is the fat on my sides, threw me on the floor, my elbow popped so while laying there he bent down, grabbed my hair in both of his hands, screamed at me and then slammed my head into the ground. I finally got up while he sat on the couch watching tv like nothing happened, looked for my phone and couldn't find it. He hid it on me. Finally found it out in the back yard, I guess at some point he threw it back there, called the cops on him and he got scared and left. I ended things with him that night and kicked him out of my condo. He is on a wanted list but has not been arrested. A couple days later, we talk and he is homeless and asks if I want a dog that we shared together, mostly his, but said he knows I would take good care of her and I said of course. I would love to. He GAVE me the dog. It was well known with everyone, including his parents that this dog was now mine.

Well, he bought a health plan deal through Petsmart the April before he moved in. It was a one year contract with them, $50 a month I believe. He is mad I am not paying it, they take out of his account by the way, and I refuse because it is contract between them and I think it is ridiculous paying $50 a month for pet insurance. They won't let him break the contract by the way. It is up in April, just a couple months and now all of a sudden he is sending texts and harassing my mom because I told him not to contact me. Saying I need to work with Petsmart and pay these monthly bills he signed up for. I don't think I should have to and take the dog, along with my other pets to my own vet. I even paid to get her microchipped and put in my name. Not only that, he lived 2 months rent free with me and I know I will never see that money. That is like $1000. He only owes $300 or so on the pet plan. I know he is doing this as his last ditch effort to be a jerk to me and now threatening to fight for his dog since I won't pay it, saying that vet plan is in his name. Do I have anything to worry about? I have had her living at my place since August, totally in my care since he GAVE me her in Oct., giving her shelter, food, treats, toys, ect. She has grown attached to me, my other dog and is in love with my cat and very happy with me. I also witnessed him once actually beat his dog. Closed hand punched her several times and then bit her side of her mouth until she yipped. He has a VERY bad temper. I do NOT want this dog in his care.

He has broke into my place several times, I have a witness and I am scared of him doing it again and hurting me or my animals so I am putting a restraining order on him this Friday.

What I worry about is him showing up to court, and arguing with the judge about the dog he gave me saying he wants her back because I won't pay on the health plan HE purchased. I am so afraid of losing this dog to this crazy hot tempered jerk! Has anyone ever been through something like this? Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am so scared!!!

Was there a police report from the night he assaulted you? Do you have any vet bills since he gave you the dog?

As far as you know he abandoned the dog when he left, unless you have evidence saying he gave the dog to you.

Do you even take the dog to pet smart for his veterinarian needs or go to a private practice? That's the biggest problem that I see you having is if you are utilizing the insurance that he pays for to care for a dog that is yours.

If you take the dog to your own vet then you have no worries.

• Author
startinganew777

Yes, there was a police report from the assault back in Oct. I called the police and they came to my place but he had left before they got there. So he is on a wanted list. I am pretty sure they will grant the restraining order, I have been told by a couple cops that I should be fine in getting it granted. Just worried IF he shows up to court, that he will bring up the dog situation.

I have texts from him sent to my mom stating he GAVE me the dog thinking that I would pay the health plan. I didn't agree to that and there is nothing in writing or anything stating I was going to pay the plan. I used it one time back in Nov. because Gypsy the dog, have a major allergic reaction to the heartworm pill I gave her from this particular Petsmart. She was hallucinating and shaking and this particular Petsmart is right across the street so I drove her there as fast as I could and brought the heartworm pills they gave him to give to her. She had an allergic reaction but she finally calmed down and they took the 6 month supply of pills bought before I had ownership of her and switched them out for a shot that lasts 6 months so she didn't have to take the pills anymore. So yes, I used it once because it was an emergency situation. I have never been back with her and took her to my vet in Dec, got her established as a patient, paid to get her microchipped and then paid to get her registered in my name. I also had all her records from PetSmart sent over to my own Vet.

First off congrats on kicking him out on the first signs of abuse what he did is terrible and I hope he gets run over by a car.

If he is on the wanted list and your abuse was recorded with police (I hope they took pictures) I do not think they will even grant him the dog even if he brings it up he would be a fool to because they could go as far to say he isn't allowed to have animals in his life at all depending on how hardcore the judge is, I am positive they will not grant an abusive person an animal most likely they will tell him he needs to finish paying the bill in his name and the dog will be granted to you.

It's likely this guy won't even show because no one will be in his corner unless they find him and he can't go to friends and family because who would support that?

I don't think hes going to fight for this dog as much as you think he will he's just harassing you and your family which is VERY unwise in his position save every text for court and print it out in fact tell him your doing just that and watch the text's stop immediately.

I don't think you need to worry about this at all.

Edited by Omei
  • Author
startinganew777

Hmmm,,,yeah, I guess a judge would be real stupid to award a dog to an abusive person. I am going to state too that I witnessed him beat his dog one time. That should help too.

I don't think he will show either because he is on a wanted list meaning they will probably arrest him when he arrives. But who knows, he is crazy so I don't know what he will do. I do feel better though, I can't see how someone in their right mind would let him take the dog back after she has been in my care this whole time.

• Like 1

If you can afford it, go buy yourself a gun, go to a shooting range and learn how to use it. Wear it on your person until this fruitcake is well out of the picture. These guys love to intimidate and put you in fear. Don't let him do that to you. If he breaks into your house while you're there, shoot him - or at least blow his kneecaps off. Better yet, just inform him that you purchased a gun. He's such a coward, that alone will probably scare him to death.

And, I agree, a judge would have to be nuts to believe anything this guy said. If this weren't an animal we were talking about, I'd say give it back and cut all contact with this nutcase. However, since we're talking about an innocent animal, I can see why you took him.

He sounds like he is trying to exercise some control over you and is using this as leverage.

If he bothers you again about it you should tell him to go ahead and take you to court because you can't wait to tell a judge how he abused the dog.

Usually if you call their bluff they back off.

I'm glad you feel better about it all, by the way. It sucks that they can still get you to be afraid sometimes. I totally know that feeling.

But be vocal and take back your power. You're not the bad guy here. Know that.

• Author
startinganew777

Yeah, I think it is his last ditch effort to be a jerk and scare me. This is the only link left between us and he is grabbing at straws. I am scared though and freak out walking the dogs at night thinking he is going to run out of the woods and hurt me and steal the dog. I guess I didn't realize how scared I actually was until last night. Every leaf rustling around in the wind had me jumping.

I don't have money for a gun. But I am going to go buy that really good mace that the cops use. And I may have a good friend moving in soon. It will feel so much better having someone else there with me.

I am going bright and early to the court house tomorrow to file that RO. I also sent a letter to his parents telling them what was going on in case something happens. I have kept quiet this whole time because he begged me not to tell them. But I think they need to know because maybe they can talk some sense into him. I told all my family and all my friends also know what is going on. I think the more that know, the better. Hopefully nothing will happen and he will back off when he gets served.

Edited by startinganew777
  • Like 1
  • Author
startinganew777

So filed the restraining order on Friday and got granted the ex parte until the court date. For some reason though the judge did not grant me the no communication. He granted the no threats, harassment, assault, for him to stay away from my home, from my work, and 5,001 ft away from me. Not sure why 5,001 ft. Strange number, but anyways, I am so afraid to face him in court. What if he makes up all these lies about me and for some reason the judge doesn't grant me the full restraining order?!

He is on a wanted list though for assault against me. Won't he get arrested when he shows up to court?