Fat bashing....what do you think?

Barby

FAT BASHING! THE NEW FORM OF DISCRIMINATION!!!

I don't know if they have been other threads on this issue but I wanted to start one.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo SICK TO DEATH of reading and hearing about "fat bashing" it is a form of emotional abuse when kids are picked on in school for being overweight. It pisses me off to no end when I see people staring, smurking, or pointing, or laughing at an obese person!

I want to beat the $hit out of them sometimes....Just because it isn't done to me doesn't mean that it doesn't affect me...pulls at my heart strings anyway.

Why do people think it's okay to be mean to someone just because they weigh more than you? If someone has medical issues or hell even if they just eat too much and excercise too little why is that an "okay acceptable" reason to be mean to them, belittle them, or just not want to have anything to do with them?

Who (other than tv) says and knows there is something WRONG with LOOKING different?

I would prefer someone with meat on their bones next to someone who looks like they are dying from an illness...who would want to hug a bag of bones..I'd be afraid I'd break one of them!

But on a more serious note.....it is WRONG to "look down" on someone just because they weigh more than you and I would like to hear some legitimate reasons why someone thinks it's okay to discriminate against the obese. Please don't give me the whole "it's unhealthy" arguement because NOT EVERY obese person has bad health...some have NO CO-Morbities what-so-ever! Save the "health" part of it and just tell me why you think it's okay to be mean cuz they look different. (and that's only extra meat not deformities or anything)

Give me your opinion on this what do you think?

Hi Barby! I have a feeling you were inspired to write this post by something we both posted in earlier.

None the less I agree with you that it is wrong to bash overweight people and I also think it's really wrong for kids to be picked on and taught that it's ok to pick on people for any reason. I'm not even slightly obese or thick or anything but it annoys me when people poke at other people's physical flaws as if they have none of their own!

• Author

Thanks yeah I guess I was inspired to post this because of an earlier post but honestly I am just more interested in seeing what people think about this issue. I'm looking forward to reading more responses even if it isn't to agree with me.

I agree. No one has the right to treat others poorly, no matter what they look like or how much they weigh.

well I'm with you in that people should be kind to each other

and make an attempt to put themselves in other's shoes.

because NOT EVERY obese person has bad health

Are you aware that obese is the number one killer - ranked well above smoking.

This is not just a minor health risk - and minor lifestyle choice.

But, lack of health is certainly no justification for picking on someone

- in fact, its probably reason to have more compassion for them if anything.

Everyone is different though, and like every-other category or group in society

there are those in the fat group that ask for it.

I took an eleven hour flight to Europe - coach = narrow seating,

And next to me was someone twice two big for their spot.

Not only was I NOT comfortable - but 1/3 of my space was

being consumed by the overhang! My back was killing,

I couldn't sleep, relax, have comfort.

Plus - I'm not exactly thrilled about having

a strangers body = regardless of their weight,

squished against me in contact for hours.

Its a free country and we all should be good to each-other.

but if a person is going to make choices that make them

require a unique amount of resources - it is only kind of them to make sure that

their living doesn't overflow into to equal enjoyment

and opportunity for happiness that others deserve too through life.

So,

in the case of someone that is overweight,

god bless him or her,

and because of the compassion that I am sure they

expect to be shown towards them,

hopefully they will design travel strategies

without carelessly doing what's best for them

while feeling entitled to a chunk of someone

else's share.!

HokeyReligions

No, but it happens ALL the time. Job discrimination, social discrimination, people even divorce because one partner has gained a lot of weight.

I don't think the health risks matter at all. What difference does it make? A gay man has a higher risk for Aids, a smoker has a higher risk for certain cancers, a black person is at a higher risk for some diseases, and on and on ad nauseum.

Fat people just happen to be the target now. People honestly believe the stereotype of big dumb and stupid. Wasn't that a song? Society treats fat or obese people like they simply are not smart enough to be thin or fall within societies acceptable range. Over 35 and had children? Oh, well then it's okay to be heavier--to a point. Under 35 and no kids--Absolutly NOT! Society will accept weights based on age and background too.

Ever look at the clothing stores for fat women? 90% (my best guess, based on shopping with an obese friend.) is casual clothes. Try finding an executive business suit in a size 28. Next to impossible because we all know, an obese woman would never be smart enough to be an executive, or even an executive secretary.

Fat people don't cry themselves to sleep at night because no one loves them, or touches them, or wants to have sex with them--fat people don't have the same feelings or desires. They certainly can't have an orgasm! If they want company -- get a dog, a dog will love them even if they are fat. yes, this is sarcasm.

I read something somewhere about [color=blue]Plastic people succeed. Real people don't. [/color] I wish I could find the article.

I don't see this changing anytime soon. Especially not with jokes about cheesy thighs, and attitudes that it couldn't be real for an average weight man to actually want to have sex with an obese woman.

couldn't be real for an average weight man to actually want to have sex with an obese woman.

HokeyReligions,

Sounds good. And I bet you are scowering every weight-watchers clinic and "clothing stores for fat"

so you can find an obese man that can hardly walk let alone enjoy activities with you- - because

why wouldn't you - if its no matter to you either way - might as well be above it and contribute to

their dating pool. Most of all, I bet that you are so above such details like weight,

that you wouldn't mind, and probably wouldn't even notice the difference - when

you are with this 350 lb man you found - missionary - in bed exploring passions limits.

I don't know why god made us all so diverse,

I think its great because it makes life interesting,

but human beings are very clearly not made to

be equal - at the same types of things at least,

and it is reality - not cruelty - that makes

the matching up of "an average weight man ... with an obese woman"

uncommon if not uncomfortable.

I don't think the health risks matter at all. What difference does it make? A gay man has a higher risk for Aids, a smoker has a higher risk for certain cancers,

Yes exactly! Smoking infects others through second hand. And I'm not going to touch the

Aids argument - but like the smoking - it is pretty obvious how these as well as over-eating

etc. can inter-fear with others.

DerangedAngel
tell me why you think it's okay to be mean cuz they look different. (and that's only extra meat not deformities or anything)

Are you saying it's acceptable to make fun of an obese person that is also deformed? Or just plain deformed? I hope I'm just misunderstanding.

But, lack of health is certainly no justification for picking on someone

- in fact, its probably reason to have more compassion for them if anything.

To stretch this a little: Barby (and all others offended), how would you feel to know that a thin person felt sorry for an obese individual? Is this also unkind, since in their opinion there is something wrong with the person?

I'm probably going to get bashed after saying this, but I find that is usually my reaction in public when I see an obese man/woman. I feel sorry for them. Just like I feel sorry for those with physical/mental disabilities.

I don't think I'm better than they are, but I just don't see how they could be happy carrying around so much extra weight, dealing with the abuse, not being able to find the clothes they would like to wear, and more often than not, dealing with weight-related health issues.

Another thing - I have noticed that many of the, we'll say, "happily obese" make just as much fun of the thin men/women out there.

I would prefer someone with meat on their bones next to someone who looks like they are dying from an illness...who would want to hug a bag of bones..I'd be afraid I'd break one of them!

Sadly this is okay. But "I would prefer someone with a slim figure next to someone with cellulite specked thighs and all those wrinkles and folds of fat. I'm afraid I might get lost in all that fat!" is not.

Why?

-Deranged

I think people who make fun of people with issues beyond their control are insecure in their own way. They make fun of people because it makes them feel better and they are doing it in an immature way.

I almost feel sorry for them because they have no other way to make them feel better (as it seems), just like in school for example, kids make fun of kids with lower income house holds. I went to a school in Phoenix and I was made fun of by the snobby girls because my family shopped at Walmart.

It hurt, and I hurt when I see someone made fun of for something they cannot do much or anything about.

This world is going to s*&t :(

I just hope that I can teach my daughter that real beauty is inside a person, and how they treat others.

couldn't be real for an average weight man to actually want to have sex with an obese woman.

She wasn't bashing average weight men, she was referring to another post where some people thought it was a joke because an average weight man said he wanted to be with an obese woman.

Sadly this is okay. But "I would prefer someone with a slim figure next to someone with cellulite specked thighs and all those wrinkles and folds of fat. I'm afraid I might get lost in all that fat!" is not.

Deranged, I see your point. I don't think anyone should be cruel to someone else no matter what their size is.

DerangedAngel
Deranged, I see your point. I don't think anyone should be cruel to someone else no matter what their size is.

Agreed. Size bashing in general is quite hurtful. Coming from a thin girl.

Fat people just happen to be the target now. People honestly believe the stereotype of big dumb and stupid.

If thin people believe that fat people are big, dumb, and stupid, then fat people certainly believe that thin people are obsessed with their looks and desperate to remain thin.

-Deranged

Of course it's cruel to be cruel. I can't think of any valid excuse no matter what the reason.

But... people view it as something totally controllable. Because... technically it IS. Millions of people struggle with their weight, diet, stay active, etc. It's more of a mental health issue than anything - and the baggage from ineffectively dealing with it is there for the world to see. Nobody needs to hear cruel comments from people - they hear them enough from their own inner critic. I have several overweight friends, however, who renewed their interest in dieting after overhearing cruel remarks. Not that anyone should take it upon themselves to let everyone in the world know exactly what their problems are.. but it's a fact of life that that is what happens. Everyone is a critic. Whether it's "wow, look at her hanging over the top of her pants that's disgusting." or "oh my god, i can't believe she's wearing those shoes!"

Sure, no one has to be perfectly fit-looking to have a healthy body. Although studies keep coming out that pretty much prove what probably seems obvious - that a life is probably longest if less food of greater nutritional content is consumed throughout. A person is healthiest if they strive to keep their body healthy. Hey, if you have extra pounds, who really cares. But too overweight or too skinny is a health problem and a social problem and a person who is otherwise healthy and has no other medical problem preventing action, makes no attempt to reach a more healthy weight is basically ostracizing themself from society. Unless they are still fit enough to enjoy activities like hiking, horse back riding, swimming, dress for a formal event or a nightclub, and other things without feeling bad about their appearance, then they subconsciously use their weight as a method of avoidance. It's a horrible perpetual cycle.

My point is not to lecture about obesity (sorry) but just to say that discrimination for something like racism or sexism is prevalent enough in the world - both uncontrollable factors. The same type of close-mindedness only GREATER is what you see affecting obese people right now. How many people diet regularly and work out hard to get pounds off - especially recently with all the diet crazes. They think "I did it!" or "My mother did it!" or "That's not a problem for me." and then they think, "Why can't he?" or "Why is that person so fat? The slob." Medical conditions only account for 1% of cases of obesity.

/

I agree that no one should be treated poorly.

I strongly disagree that society should embrace obesity. It's not healthy, and it's not safe.

==========================================================

A gay man has a higher risk for Aids

Lie. Be careful how you read things.

You have to have sex to get HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Sex is a choice.

a smoker has a higher risk for certain cancers

And it's perfectly alright for us to run public health campaigns against smoking.

And it's perfectly alright for us to run public health campaigns against smoking.

Good point. No one stands up for smokers being ostracized.
  • Author
Are you saying it's acceptable to make fun of an obese person that is also deformed? Or just plain deformed? I hope I'm just misunderstanding.

No I didn't mean that it's okay to make fun of anyone deformed or not....I was trying (though it didn't come out right) to say that people make being obese seem like a "deformity" and it isn't.

Some people yes chose to live an unhealthy lifestyle, eat junk, not exercise, ect. so sometimes yes it seems as it is a "choice" but once someone's body gets to a certain amount body fat it is almost basically impossible for them to lose the weight without some sort of extreme procedure or something similar. (or so I've read and been told by family members). And for the others, some just can't become thin due to genetics no matter how much cardio, strength training, calorie cutting, dieting, walking, or anything else they do...and there is NO legitimate reason other than their own genetic make-up that they are large and it is not something they can control, (very much like someone's race or eye color, ect) and for this I think people should be more careful and kind, how can you look at someone of size and automatically know why they are like they are??? You can't!

No one has to "embrace" anything but EVERYONE should at least know better than to make comments to people who look or act different than themselves. Society HONESTLY should have NO say in how someone should or shouldn't be. They embrace people with terminal infectious illnesses who DO things to put themselves and others at risk but can't accept someone who's "fatter" than average??? :mad:

I have several overweight friends, however, who renewed their interest in dieting after overhearing cruel remarks. Not that anyone should take it upon themselves to let everyone in the world know exactly what their problems are.. but it's a fact of life that that is what happens.

I doubt what people had to say had much to do with them trying to lose the weight, yes it probably affected them emotionally and made them really sad inside but it was probably something they'd always intended to do anyway. I'm sure hearing cruel comments only "re-confirmed" the fact that some people are ignorant and can't accept people for anything other than outter appearance.

To stretch this a little: Barby (and all others offended), how would you feel to know that a thin person felt sorry for an obese individual? Is this also unkind, since in their opinion there is something wrong with the person?

I'm probably going to get bashed after saying this, but I find that is usually my reaction in public when I see an obese man/woman. I feel sorry for them. Just like I feel sorry for those with physical/mental disabilities.

I wouldn't think that anyone should "feel sorry" for anyone else...if you do then maybe you have a mis-conception of them....all I am trying to get across (which all seem to have gotten it is that you shouldn't judge people especially on their appearance). If you chose to "feel sorry" for them then that's one's choice and maybe some obese people do want a "pity party" I'm just someone (one of many) who believes in compassion and NOT conforming to society's views on how one "should" look, believe, or how much money one should have to be happy, ect. I realize ya'll are probably saying "so who cares" but I feel posting this thread is a small way of possibly opening someone's eyes or at least getting one or two people to say "wow oops I didn't realize my stares or comments really did that much emotional harm on someone"

There is nothing wrong with having a personal preference....how you could get "lost in all that fat" is just insane! It wouldn't happen....I'm sure this way just sarcasm and of course no one said "run out and date a big man or woman (whatever your preference is). :D I'm sure not everyone finds being with an overweight person an attractive idea, I'm not preaching for anyone to change their dating preferences...I'm not unrealistic just kind of a hopeful person that maybe one day people will be more tolerant of obesism as they are everything else.

so you can find an obese man that can hardly walk let alone enjoy activities with you- - because

why wouldn't you - if its no matter to you either way - might as well be above it and contribute to

their dating pool. Most of all, I bet that you are so above such details like weight,

that you wouldn't mind, and probably wouldn't even notice the difference - when

you are with this 350 lb man you found - missionary - in bed exploring passions limits.

Such a typical thing to say...."the dating pool" give me a break! You think that obese people have a small "selection" of people who will "stoop" to dating them! HAHAHAHA! Yeah well maybe that's what uninformed people would think....well that's okay keep thinking that way but you're totally wrong! :)

and it is reality - not cruelty - that makes

the matching up of "an average weight man ... with an obese woman"

uncommon if not uncomfortable.

Again this is either a joke or some "back woods" comment right? Have you not bothered to look around yourself? (Assuming you live in a population that at least has a few obese women) are you saying they are all alone or with Big men? Around here, on tv, and in many other places the normal bbw or ssbbw (big beautiful woman, or super sized big beautiful woman) are mostly with "average" sized guys, not the "bottom of the barrel" types you may think but normal decent or great guys. :rolleyes:

I took an eleven hour flight to Europe - coach = narrow seating,

And next to me was someone twice two big for their spot.

Not only was I NOT comfortable - but 1/3 of my space was

being consumed by the overhang! My back was killing,

I couldn't sleep, relax, have comfort.

Plus - I'm not exactly thrilled about having

a strangers body = regardless of their weight,

squished against me in contact for hours.

Its a free country and we all should be good to each-other.

but if a person is going to make choices that make them

require a unique amount of resources - it is only kind of them to make sure that

their living doesn't overflow into to equal enjoyment

and opportunity for happiness that others deserve too through

You should have been man enough (assuming you're male) to ask them to please move over some, or "watch their "overhang" as you put it. I'm sure if you would have mentioned something they would have been more careful....also you probably could have mentioned something to the person who works on the plane bringing beverages and such...no? In some airlines they actually have people of "size" purchase 2 seats for this very reason, you could have been asked to be moved "if" they weren't packed.

I do agree that this would have been an uncomfortable situation so next time watch out that you don't sit next to someone who will "lap over" onto your side of the seat. :rolleyes:

I think people who make fun of people with issues beyond their control are insecure in their own way. They make fun of people because it makes them feel better and they are doing it in an immature way.
Very true and very well put as was....

Everyone is a critic. Whether it's "wow, look at her hanging over the top of her pants that's disgusting." or "oh my god, i can't believe she's wearing those shoes!"
But IF EVERYONE could remember you can "change" your shoes or whatever else in a heartbeat but you can't peel away years of "fat" put on with time and lifestyle changes, ect....it would take the same if not longer amount of time to rid one's self of all that has "accumulated" over time. So everyone should have tolerance and live by the rule "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!!!!!"

Okay Sorry I've taken up enough of everyone's time so thanks for joining in on my thread and it has been interesting to hear everyone's point of view! I hope everyone who has it and those who don't (eventually get it) and continue to treat others and you would want them to treat you in the exact same situation if it was you in their position!

Originally posted by DerangedAngel

-Deranged

As the mother of a disabled son, the last thing I want is for you to feel sorry for him. That is one of the things that makes me sad when we go out in public. I want other people to be able to see past his differences, and still see that he is a joyous and beautiful little boy. It is nice if you have some understanding of the difficulties he faces, but please don't feel sorry for him.

I expect people who are obese would like to be seen for who they are as well, not just as fat. The same as people who have any other problem or illness, don't want to be identified as just a problem or illness.

HokeyReligions

Many of you proved my point exactly! The general attitude is that there is something wrong with a person who is considered fat or obese. It's not a problem! Do any of you feel sorry for black people because they are black and are still discriminated against in many subtle (and a few not so subtle) ways? "Awe, poor thing---too bad she's black"

BTW - my husband weighs 365. I've always liked heavier men, and most of the men that I have dated have shopped in the large size isle! Even at my heaviest weight I had no problem with sex. Fat does not necessarily mean a person is inflexible, nor does thin guarantee flexibility.

Yes exactly! Smoking infects others through second hand. And I'm not going to touch the

Aids argument - but like the smoking - it is pretty obvious how these as well as over-eating

etc. can inter-fear with others.

Where is it our responsibility to live according to what our neighbors want? My life interferes with someone else's. Why should *I* be the one to conform? What about the person whole lifestyle interferes with mine? Are you saying that FAT is an infection? A disease?

I have an idea! All of those people who think that there is something wrong with those who don't fit into a certain mold, should pay a tax to support and keep those people (fat, smokers, disabled, choose-your-discrimination) in segregated neighborhoods where they don't have to be seen or heard from in popular society. Hey, I like that! I have RA and walk with a cane and I've had people grumble about how I hold up the line on the escalator because I don't walk up or down the steps as they are moving---so I would qualify. That way I wouldn't have to work or be seen in public and I can sit home and watch TV, shop on-line, swim, have my own malls, movie theaters, putt-putt, etc. and someone else would pay for it! Uh, yes---this is sarcasm again. I know someone (a friend of my husband) who can't stand to be around severely handicapped people -- especially those with mental illnesses like retardation or downs syndrome. He thinks they should be locked away some place where "normal" society does not have to see them. He honestly does not believe that a person with a serious handicap (confined to a wheelchair for example) or a mental illness has the exact same feelings, needs, confidences, insecurities, desires, hopes, and dreams that the rest of us have. Nothing will convince him otherwise. And he's not a stupid person. He is well educated, sharp wit, generous, and just a really nice guy---except for this. He doesn't want to learn any different. He doesn't want to accept that he is misinformed and has behaved in a manner to support his misinformation.

I don't smoke and I appreciate it when I'm not in a smoke-filled room, but I'm sure not going to treat a smoker any differently than anyone else. Smoking is still acceptable by society because when an average weight smoker is walking toward you, you don't know they smoke (unless they are holding a cigarette) So many people see the fat before the person and make their judgments based on that. The discrimination is all about appearance, not health. People use health factors to justify their discrimination.

As for aids, look at the stats from the 1980's. Hello! Who was more likely to contract HIV? How were people treated? Like lepers; ignorant, sinful, immoral lepers. That is how fat people have been, and still are, being treated. I actually think its funny when someone looks down on a fat person or treats them differently. I laugh at their ignorance and arrogance, how sad for them. A person who discriminates out of ignorance can learn better. A person who demeans and devalues out of arrogance is just a pathetic, narrow-minded, insecure person. I was raised to believe that black people were not as smart as white people. I was raised to believe that homosexuality was a sin against God. I was raised to fear snakes. I totally believed all of it. My behavior was arrogant because of my ignorance.

I know better now. I was ignorant of the facts and the truth. Now that I know, my behavior has also changed and I no longer behave in an arrogant fashion. I don't look down on anyone. Nor do I look up.

I am not saying that every person discriminates. Many do not! Or that they discriminate in the same way. There is another thread about having sex with a bbw. Someone made a comment that they thought it was a fake post because they just could not believe that it was possible for an average weight man to actually want to have sex with an obese woman. I don't think the person even knew he was being extremely discriminatory. I think that post is what sparked this post.

Just as some/many folks, back in the 1950's and even 1960's - refused to believe it possible that a white woman would voluntarily be with a black man. That was a scandal. This generation likes to think that it has progressed to a level of sophistication beyond that of their parents and grandparents because they accept and embrace cultural/racial/sexual differences that were believed to be *wrong* in their parents/grandparents generation, but society hasn't really changed at all---they just changed the focus of their discrimination. It will change -- it always does. Because people like US (all of you posting) speak out and we discuss things. And we teach each other, and we take things here into discussions with friends and family and we learn and we teach. Some of us change our views, some find more strength in our own views, some begin to question where they didn't before. One area where I recently changed my views (which I held onto because of my upbringing and indirect experience) is with OW/OM. Boy! Did I learn a lot there. I'm not as judgemental as I once was and I am more open and understanding of other viewpoints there.

People will eventually realize that Fat does not equal Failure; Large does not equal Loser. Maybe in a few more generations.

YellowLioness

If you walk down a street, and you see a girl who is a size fourteen eating, say, something sweet, do you automatically think, "Well, if she stopped eating so much, maybe she'd lose some weight?"

How big is big?

Its just that I'm getting conflicting thought processes here. Hokey is right, why is being fat considered a bad thing?

If someone is healthy, yet obese, why are they considered less beautiful then someone who is thin? I'm a size fourteen, and I don't think I'm unnattractive.

I walk from one to two miles per day. I drink water and diet pop, and I count my carbs, fat, and calories. Yet, I am still this size. Albeit, I am not obese. However, there ARE people who do as much as I do, and who are still in a size 28. What is suggested for those people?

To tell the truth, I think it is modern America's opinion. As has been said on here before, Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. She was still beautiful, and is STILL to this day and Icon.

I've heard that with in two generations or so, that America will start to become a genetically obese place. How do those of you who have negative feelings towards obesity feel about that?

What do you think America as a whole can do?

Should we just kill all the fat people?

Burn down fast food places?

Oh, and one more thing, how many of us have never done anything to endanger ourselves or others?

Do any of you:

drink alcohol, take drugs, drive too fast, not wear your seat belt, not eat 5 servings of vegetables a day, have sex without a condom outside of a monogamous relationship, not get enough sleep, eat too much tuna fish, not exercise, not wear sunscreen, not eat enough fiber, not get regular Pap smears, not do self testicular exams, not floss your teeth, eat a diet high in meat and animal fat, drive when you're tired, and the list goes on and on.

I do agree that there are some things, like obesity and smoking, that are more major risk factors for illness and death than others. But please remember, for the under 45 year old age group, accidents are the leading cause of death. The top accident that causes death is motor vehicle accidents with a rate of speed that is too high.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by YellowLioness

If someone is healthy, yet obese, why are they considered less beautiful then someone who is thin? [color=red](in today's society--because people have been programmed that way from all the negative stereotypes portrayed in media. Ever notice how some commercials will use fat people and make them clumsy and stupid? There was a car commercial not too long ago that showed a fat man who bought the *wrong* SUV. He couldn't seem to do anything right and caused all sorts of problems with his bumbling stupidity; whereas as lean man wearing nicer clothes, who bought the *right* SUV was able to save the world. Stuff like that is everywhere and its so subtle that people don't even notice it.)[/color] I'm a size fourteen, and I don't think I'm unnattractive. Should we just kill all the fat people? [color=red]---No! Then all the fast-food places would be out of business! LOL :) I'm just kidding -- but I'll bet its a joke that others thought about! Hitler tried to set forth a criteria for allowing life. Others have also. Perhaps there should be a series of tests given to all mankind at different stages of life. If predetermined criteria are not met (specific height/weight standards, intelligence standards, beliefs, sexual orientation, parenting skills, etc.) those people should go into a chamber and be eliminated. Like in the movie Logan's Run! It would sure solve the employment and health care crisis, the poverty and violence crisis too. It would create a paradise for those remaining. LOL! [/color]

I look like a concentration camp victim in a size 14! My bones are big and my hips stick out and my knees are knobby. Size 16 or 18 is the size for me! I look healthy, fit, and I have the appropriate curves. Some folks think that is too big. Their loss! I see these stores for plus-size women and the sizes start at 14. I still marvel at that -- size 14 is NOT a plus size!!!!

Hmm.... burn down the fast food places----maybe we should re-out fit them. Little Ceasers Tofu. Tofu Inn. McSoy (would you like to supersize your celery sticks and mineral water?). Carrot King (lettuce wrap - have it your way; with or without carrot filling)! Non-Dairy Queen -- would you like cauliflower sprinkles on your non-fat, skim, powdered milk and carob shake?

:laugh:

I think that fat people are becoming more intollerant of the way that they are being treated -- a new revolution has begun. I think that business will (and some are now) begin changing their marketing and their wares to tap into the pockets of the obese--and not just trying to sell them diet and exercise products. Business acceptance will drive social acceptance in many cases---it's the bottom line that counts today.

The whole genetic thing --- do you have a link to a study or article on America becoming a genetically obese nation in a couple more generations? I'd like to see that. I'm a bit behind on where genetic research is right now. If they can identify a trend like that, I wonder where they are in recombinant DNA research and treatment for real diseases like alzheimers and diabetes?

YellowLioness

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/337/13/869

http://www.beyondhealth.com/health-e-america.htm

Alright Hokey, that is what I found. I couldn't find the link that I was hoping for.

Hmm.... burn down the fast food places----maybe we should re-out fit them. Little Ceasers Tofu. Tofu Inn. McSoy (would you like to supersize your celery sticks and mineral water?). Carrot King (lettuce wrap - have it your way; with or without carrot filling)! Non-Dairy Queen -- would you like cauliflower sprinkles on your non-fat, skim, powdered milk and carob shake?

:lmao:

It's funny, but a good idea! Why can't we get fast HEALTHY meal? If more people called in for it, we could probably get McDonalds to offer celery sticks AND fries.

TheFaithfulWife

Being a heavy woman I have had people make assumptions about my eating habits. I have heard comments at a buffet " better get in line before her or there will be nothing left!"

I have a cholesterol of 112 , I am not diabetic, and my blood pressure is approx. 118/70

I was not a heavy child nor am I an over eater.

I have been undergoing extreme examinations to discover why I am fat, MRI's blood tests, pituitary checks, thyroid checks etc.

I was never heavy until I had my first child and continued to gain with each of my pregnancies, after 5 of them I gained enough weight to be considered morbidly obese.

I was on weight watchers (gained weight because I was eating far more then I normally would on it), I was put on a carb diet, atkins, etc. etc.

So I was put on a diet consisting of 400-500 calories a day. Finally showed some weight loss but still not a significant amount. Doctors were worried about me maintaining that calories count without being monitored in the hospital so they pulled me off of the only diet that was working for me.

So when I hear people behind me making comments about my weight it really makes me depressed.

So I do believe the old line " when you assume you make an ASS- out of- U and- ME

It would be nice to be thin again and I would love the freedom I would have to do the things I enjoyed in the past but until they figure out why my metabolism shut down and why I have zero growth hormone in my body, I will continue to have people believe that I stuff my face every day with bags of Oreo's (which are disgusting cookies (ICK!) and spend my nights chomping Pringles!

Maybe Kaiser will finally figure out my problem but until they do I will be still looked upon by those thin people that do not really know me as the "PIG" "FAT SLOB"

My children are all thin and I will not allow them to get heavy, if they show any tendencies toward excessive weight gain I will rush them to Kaiser to begin a program before it gets to the point I got to.

Just wanted to have my say

TFW

DerangedAngel

Sigh.

There is nothing wrong with having a personal preference

Exactly right. Nothing wrong with having a personal preference. There is something wrong with dissing someone because they don't fit your personal preference.

....how you could get "lost in all that fat" is just insane! It wouldn't happen....I'm sure this way just sarcasm and of course no one said "run out and date a big man or woman (whatever your preference is). I'm sure not everyone finds being with an overweight person an attractive idea, I'm not preaching for anyone to change their dating preferences...I'm not unrealistic just kind of a hopeful person that maybe one day people will be more tolerant of obesism as they are everything else.

I am just amazed how overweight people think it's fine to call thin people a "bag of bones" and say you're afraid you will "break them" and you "want a little meat on your bones". And just how the f*ck do you react when someone says something about an overweight woman's body? You start a thread like this one because everyone is getting bashed. Right. So that makes it fine for you to bash right back?

Originally posted by Matilda

As the mother of a disabled son, the last thing I want is for you to feel sorry for him. That is one of the things that makes me sad when we go out in public. I want other people to be able to see past his differences, and still see that he is a joyous and beautiful little boy. It is nice if you have some understanding of the difficulties he faces, but please don't feel sorry for him.

I expect people who are obese would like to be seen for who they are as well, not just as fat. The same as people who have any other problem or illness, don't want to be identified as just a problem or illness.

I really am sorry if you took offense to my post. I have a disabled relative that I am very, very close to. I do see him for who he is, and love him for who he is, but hate the problems that sometimes hold him back.

I in no way meant to imply that an overweight man/woman is any less of a person than I am. But I am sorry that they are suffering because of their size. They want to change, but it's either too difficult, or medical reasons prevent it. I have overweight friends. Overweight family. They are wonderful people. Just like anyone else. But they aren't happy being overweight. This is what makes me feel bad for them.

It's not a problem! Do any of you feel sorry for black people because they are black and are still discriminated against in many subtle (and a few not so subtle) ways?

I feel sorry for anyone being discriminated against.

All of those people who think that there is something wrong with those who don't fit into a certain mold...

If these people don't mind not fittting in the mold, then fine. But if they do, then I don't think there is anything wrong with me feeling bad because of their unhappiness. And again, I never said there was something wrong with people because they were "fat". I never said "fat" people weren't worthy of love.

Hokey is right, why is being fat considered a bad thing?

It's only a bad thing when the fat person in question would rather be thin.

How do those of you who have negative feelings towards obesity feel about that?

What do you think America as a whole can do?

Should we just kill all the fat people?

I think you should really chill. No one has said anything even remotely close to that.

It seems like the only people that really have negative feelings here are the ones with a hatred for the thin.

Being a heavy woman I have had people make assumptions about my eating habits. I have heard comments at a buffet " better get in line before her or there will be nothing left!"

:( I'm really sorry that some people have to be that way. I had many thin jokes directed my way when I was suffering with an eating disorder. I know how cruel people can be.

It would be nice to be thin again and I would love the freedom I would have to do the things I enjoyed in the past...

Speaks for itself.

My children are all thin and I will not allow them to get heavy.

So does this.

-Deranged

• Author

Thank you all who've responded (especially on this page) Hokey I love your way of thinking!

When I mentioned "obese" I actually was referring to someone who's like 300lbs or more...(assuming they are short because weight on taller people distributes different).

Many of you proved my point exactly! The general attitude is that there is something wrong with a person who is considered fat or obese. It's not a problem! Do any of you feel sorry for black people because they are black and are still discriminated against in many subtle (and a few not so subtle) ways? "Awe, poor thing---too bad she's black"

Well said! Yeeeeahhh Hokey! I didn't want to exactly put it this way....I didn't want to be "bashed" but since it's said I say "finally someone makes sense"!!!!

Also when you said...........

The discrimination is all about appearance, not health. People use health factors to justify their discrimination.

This says it ALL no matter WHO admits it or not! This is the absolute truth!

a "bag of bones" and say you're afraid you will "break them" and you "want a little meat on your bones". And just how the f*ck do you react when someone says something about an overweight woman's body? You start a thread like this one because everyone is getting bashed. Right. So that makes it fine for you to bash right back?

Give me a break...even though I don't like being "baited" I will respond anyway...I did NOT bash anyone....Thin people are NOT made to feel bad or even remotely unaccepted because they are thin (and you are thin and pretty) so please don't start that! I did not start this thread to bash anyone...I want to know what other's think about people being closeminded enough to think it's okay to "fat bash" and I think this thread speaks for it's self.....some of the responses are reasonable but basically what hokey said..the last thing I quoted before this HITS the nail on the head!