close call...want to be prepared next time

Samantha16

Samantha16

I was at a club this weekend and to get to the bathroom you have to cross through the dance floor.

On my way, a guy was trying to grind with me but I kept trying to get him off of me. He ened up shoving me into what I think was a storage room and wouldn't let me go. He was kissing me and touching me and I was yelling and trying to hit him. And he kept shoving me and everytime I tried to run out of the room when he would let his grip down, he just pulled me back with so much force. I felt so afraid when I finally realized I couldn't get away, and that nobody could hear me screaming. The details are kind of blurry, and the worst part is, is that I didn't look at his face.

Finally I think he gave up because I kept putting up a fight and yelling at him and he pushed me away.

I've never been raped or abused before. I'm thankful it didn't go any further. But this episode really woke me up.

Does anybody know the best stratagy for a situation like this? Or a great self-defense video to get? I don't ever want to be in a situation like this again.

I even have pepper spray. But that kind of scares me because what if they get it away from you and use it against you? Besides, it isn't legal where I am.

I just don't want to be helpless like that ever again. Thank god he let me go.

I know it sounds corny, but I want to be like Jennifer Lopez in the movie 'enough'. I don't want to be helpless. I realized I just got so nervous I didn't even think to knee him in the balls or poke his eyeballs or even look at his face!!

Does anyone have any advice?

How horrible. I would be reporting this to the club management and the police ASAP. The club was at fault for having storage rooms unlocked, and they need to be put on notice to tighten up their security and prevent repeat episodes. They also should be alert for unwanted contacts on the dance floor, and people being followed to the bathroom. They are responsible for maintaining a safe environment.

You were the target of a criminal assault and battery, and the police will definitely be interested. They can also help you avoid such situations in the future.

BTW - you were not helpless. You struggled successfully against being raped. But rather than work on the martial arts, I would rather see you finding safer places to spend your time. I guess it depends on the club, but don't go to this one again until they improve security. Find better places, go with a group of good friends, and stick close together so you can keep each other safe.

• Author
Samantha16

thanks for your reply.

I did talk to a police officer right outside the club.

But he simply said, because I didn't look at his face they can't do anything.

I said, "I know, I should've looked."

And on my way to the bathroom, I WAS following a guy that I was with. I didn't want to go through the crowd alone.

But we immediately got seperated when that guy started trying to dance with me.

I didn't think it would turn into what it did.

I've been to this club before, which is downtown. But I hardly ever go downtown, just to small local bars.

Well, anyway, on my way out of the bar I held onto my guy friends arm. My girlfriends told me to, just to be safe.

There are lots of real good self-defense strategies. I know of a couple, but your best bet will be to rent a video, read a book, or take a course (many police departments offer them).

And, of course, there are always websites

http://www.safetyforwomen.com/preparing.htm

http://www.selfdefensenow.com/self-defense-techniques/index.htm

GOLDIE_LOCKS

Many local police departments put on a rape agression defense class called RAD systems.

Do a google Search for RAD Systems.

The RAD website tells you all of the local programs. Call the coordinator & ask when the next class is.

I've taken it twice and it really teaches you to kick butt!!!

sportsloving

When I worked at a crisis center for abused women, we would have self defense trainings once a month... they were free and taught by the police department. Call your local crisis center and inquire... or call the police department.

They show you all sorts of tricks :D

You did a splendid job of getting out a hazardous situation, kudos to you!