LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Abuse

Yelling and name calling/husband's temper

Abuse Support for and discussion of psychological, physical, and sexual abuse.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2009, 1:55 PM   #31

Hedgewitch, also well-documented is that most abused women aren't timid individuals. It's the spunkiness within the women that add to the dynamic of abuser/abusee.
  • She lips off to him or does something to set him off (these are issues within the women themselves which needs to be fixed).
  • He looses it since she, for whatever reasons, has agitated an insecurity within him. So he uses force to control her, both emotional and physical.
  • She fights back and finally cowers.
  • The circle is closed, since he gets off on feeling powerful and she gets what she needs from him which is that love = pain.
The question is, can both of you break that cycle? If only one person is doing it, the cycle will continue.
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 1:56 PM   #32

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
No, I think he meant snicker at your husband.

My partner has had bouts of uncontrollable temper, and I've just grinned and shaken my head, and told him to grow up, because he sounds exactly like my 7-year-old brother used to.
"When you can talk to me like a rational adult and not like some petulant little schoolboy hurling toys out of his pram, then I'll talk to you.
Until then - do your words, because I don't give a 5h1t any more."

And I carried on eating my sandwich.
two mugs, a tea-tray and the hot tap in the kitchen sink got broken.

But it was the beginning of the end of his tantrums.

Now I know when he does it, it's actually that he's more angry at himself for being such a jerk.

You have to show that you can literally rise above it.
because it's ridiculous.

Bear in mind though, that if he actually does you physical harm, in any way, he's taken it up to a different level.

Then?
You can throw the book at him.
TaraMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 1:58 PM   #33

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
Sorry. For some reason my pc never showed page two up.
I was replying about the snicker comment waaaaaay back there.

But it worked for me....

(and I meant 'do your worst', not 'do your words'....)
TaraMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 2:14 PM   #34

Threebyfate: That is excellent data you've provided me with and I realize that he is not in this alone and nor am I. We will have to work together, as a unit to mend this thing. I will have to make sure that I truly watch myself and don't encourage the behavior in some subtle way. That is good advice.

Taramaiden: They ARE like babies having tantrums when they go off aren't they? I've already told him I will not live with a 6'3 baby for long.
He is embarrassed. Today I talked to him at work and he said to film him if/when he snaps again so he can see what an ass he looks like.

I am aware of the whole monster, sweet cycle and so is he.
But I'd like to think that we are intelligent and astute enough to really overcome this. That and we love each other like crazy...which is funny because we're both kind of loners.
He knows that I won't put up with the anger forever and he's terrified of losing me. That being said, I'm just filling my proverbial bag of tricks with as much as I can find because I will HELP him get over this and I am a very determined and tenacious person in general.

So we have- Reading this post, filming, not reacting and saying "I love you", being aware that I can affect the situation with how I behave and a man and woman willing to work hard to overcome.

I feel hopeful.

And for the record, I was in a physically abusive relationship before and I left him pretty damn fast. I understand the cycle. I would egg him on...I got used to the "sequence" and looked forward to the make up period (and make up sex.) It was a horrible, manipulative situation and we BOTH contributed to it.
I left. I would not tolerate my husband going there.
If he does that, have no fear. I'm GONE.

Last edited by Hedgewitch; 26th November 2009 at 2:18 PM..
Hedgewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 3:25 PM   #35
Established Member

I’ve been with an angry, verbally and emotionally abusive person, so here’s my story:

Like the saying in Cool Hand Luke goes: Some people you just can’t reach.

My ex would have these fits of anger. Over little things, she’d kick things, throw things (not at me), yell, curse, have an unnecessary attitude with others...but it really was unnerving being around her like this. When I’d calmly ask her to settle down, she’d claim she wasn’t directing that anger towards ME, so what’s my problem? Then I’D get an attitude from her.

Now, when it WAS directed towards me (and we’re talking over petty things or nothing at all), I got kicked out of her apartment, got cursed at and hung up on if I didn’t agree with her sometimes, threatened by her to leave me over dumb things (like my house not being clean enough for her standards), and sometimes embarrassed in public by her.

I didn’t like being treated like that, so 99% of the time I engaged in the argument with her in a CALM voice, and chose my words very carefully. This didn’t do anything. She kept raising her voice and having her little tone with me, and when I asked her to stop and SPEAK to me, she’d act like I was oversensitive and I was the one with the problem. Imagine two people arguing, one speaking quietly and one yelling. It’s frustrating to be the quiet, logical one, and I could literally feel my blood heating up at times. I wanted so bad to stoop to her level and let loose, swearing and yelling like her, but I didn’t.

I’d tried leaving the room once, and she accused me of running away from the problem instead of discussing how to fix it. Thing is - we weren’t HAVING a discussion! It was me talking, her yelling.

One time she’d started cursing at me, and I explained to her that I showed her respect, and I demand the same respect back, not being cursed to or at. She responded with a few more choice words, so I hung up. That made her even angrier and wouldn’t change a thing.

If we’d disagree about something over the phone, she’d get the last word in (I belive once, the last word was “F YOU”) and hang up on me. I texted her “Hang up on me again and watch what happens”. She didn’t take that well, either, saying “Oh yeah? Is that a threat?”

I responded telling her that I’m sick of not getting respect from her, so this is what she needs to understand and respect. Didn't work.

You name it, I’ve probably tried it. Eventually after 15 months of this, I left her. I hated to do it. It was a very hard thing to do, but there was no getting through to her. She'd quit therapy and was making excuses not to enroll again. She’d started complaining that I didn’t give her a second chance, but the reality is we’d broken up a couple of times over things like this and I kept giving her chances. After all that, I left, and I came out the a-hole in her eyes. A girl I truly loved - but with some very big issues she didn't care to work on - now thinks of me as the one responsible for her misery afterwards.

It’s literally not a winning game with some people. I so wish she would've swallowed her pride and instead of saying "This is how I am, deal with it" or "Therapy's a waste of time", she might've actually gone to and STUCK with therapy. And here she was always saying how I was her best friend and such a good partner. It sucks, but I wasn't about to stick around through 4 days of bad to have 1 day of good.

Last edited by Seymore; 30th November 2009 at 3:28 PM..
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 4:39 PM   #36

I'm sorry to hear that happened but glad you did what was best for yourself.
I think it's a similar situation but not the same really because
it's not 4 bad days for 1 good day, it's more like 29 awesome days and 1 really ****ty one.
So far, so good, we're communicating well.
We'll see what happens next time he loses it...
and he knows what will happen.
He knows I won't put up with it forever and the proverbial vase can only be broken so many times.
Hedgewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 4:58 PM   #37
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgewitch View Post
I'm sorry to hear that happened but glad you did what was best for yourself.
I think it's a similar situation but not the same really because
it's not 4 bad days for 1 good day, it's more like 29 awesome days and 1 really ****ty one.
So far, so good, we're communicating well.
We'll see what happens next time he loses it...
and he knows what will happen.
He knows I won't put up with it forever and the proverbial vase can only be broken so many times.
It wasn't always 4 bad days for 1 good day, but not a week would seem to go by without us arguing over stupid things, and the arguments and things I mentioned above were only part of the problem.

We all have our tipping points, but I'd have killed for 29 awesome days and only 1 really ****ty one. Not saying you ought to settle, because if it bothers you, you shouldn't settle. But communication is key - hopefully it sinks in for him. I used the exact same analogy with my ex (the vase)! Eventually - yeah, you can glue it back together, but it's not the same vase anymore.

I wish you the best of luck, and stick to your guns, maintain your self-respect!
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 6:45 PM   #38
Eve
Established Member

Journal Entries: 8
The only suggestion I have is for you both to agree to an emergency plan. The plan could consist of key things that you recognise in each other and agree on a stragegy that you will hold to at those times. Btw, well done for getting to where you are both at and not bringing children into this. Also educate yourselves. There are a million and one books out there. Find one that you both relate to and find a path that you can realistically try.

I do think that you are placing yourself at great risk but sort of understand what you are saying.

All the very best,
Eve xx
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 7:54 AM   #39

wow as i read thru this i couldnt help but think of my situation with my bf, whom i love with all my heart but his temper is exactly the same way, if i walk away, im running away from it if i stay n not say anything im ignoring him n if i yell back im a b***h (or something like that) and talking out of my a** hes really like a little kid having a tantrum n he agrees he has to work on it. I also am dealing with depressing and i have som days its pretty bad n i try not to take it out on him but as you may now sometimes you are just irritable, he has ptsd and hes a high stress person and i cant help but get relly angry when he starts yelling cuz some of the things he says really do hurt especially if im already feeling down. anyway im really interested to see how this works out for you because I too have the hope and belief that he can change this about himself, I love him so much and i dont want to end it because like you said hes not like that all the time he too is very loving, sweet, and supportive hes perfect in my eyes except for that one flaw and we both agree we need to work together him on his anger and me in my insecurities and depression, him being willing to change is what tells me we can find the answer. im working on my issues too and little by little i see improvement in myself which is great and i can tell he is trying too and its great but i still have trouble getting through to him.
Krazysweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 10:32 AM   #40
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazysweet View Post
wow as i read thru this i couldnt help but think of my situation with my bf, whom i love with all my heart but his temper is exactly the same way, if i walk away, im running away from it if i stay n not say anything im ignoring him n if i yell back im a b***h (or something like that) and talking out of my a** hes really like a little kid having a tantrum n he agrees he has to work on it. I also am dealing with depressing and i have som days its pretty bad n i try not to take it out on him but as you may now sometimes you are just irritable, he has ptsd and hes a high stress person and i cant help but get relly angry when he starts yelling cuz some of the things he says really do hurt especially if im already feeling down. anyway im really interested to see how this works out for you because I too have the hope and belief that he can change this about himself, I love him so much and i dont want to end it because like you said hes not like that all the time he too is very loving, sweet, and supportive hes perfect in my eyes except for that one flaw and we both agree we need to work together him on his anger and me in my insecurities and depression, him being willing to change is what tells me we can find the answer. im working on my issues too and little by little i see improvement in myself which is great and i can tell he is trying too and its great but i still have trouble getting through to him.
Your insecurities are the things that are keeping you with this idiot of a man. No, he will not change. No, he's not going to work on anything - he will just pretend to for short periods of time in order to stop you from talking about it, and here's a newsflash - even those sweet and loving times you have with him, they're also a part of the abuse cycle. Because abusers know that they can't abuse 100% of the time - they've got to give their target a break. So, here's the cycle: sweet, abuse, sweet, abuse, abuse, sweet, abuse, abuse, abuse. And I'll bet it's just like this - that the abuse has escalated over time. You're wasting your time with this jerk, and he's also the reason you're depressed. You have no idea how much damage this abuse is doing to you.
Angel1111 is offline   Reply With Quote