Cops abused me for an hour for no reason at all!

RecordProducer

RecordProducer

Please read, it's interesting.

Last night I had an argument with my husband. So I left the house and went to the store, bought booze, took a few sips, and drove back. Right after I had to turn right into my street, there was a police car. I turned into my street thinking: "The cops will think that I chickened out when I saw them for some reason and instead of going straight, I made a turn into a side street". Anyway, I continued and turned onto another street, made a U-turn and parked my car here to finish my drink. I was about a 100 yards away from my house. Please note that I didn't change my route because of the police car, I drove toward my house exactly as always, as if they weren't there at all.

I was sitting in the car and thinking, without drinking, when a police car came onto my direction and stopped next to me. I couldn't believe that he stopped, but I opened the window. He asked how he could help me, a young stupid-looking, movie-cop wannabe. I assume they followed me, since we live in a small township, a fancy suburb, where the criminal rate is practically zero so they're bored, and chase innocent people. I say: "I am just sitting and thinking," hoping that he'd leave me alone.

He asks why, what, where... I tell him (still naive like a turkey) that I'd had an argument with my husband and just left the house to chill out, everything is fine, thanks for the concern, go away already...

He asks if the fight with my husband was physical. I say "Absolutely not!" The funny thing is I told him in 3 words what the argument was about so apparently I was willing to confide and yet he starts interrogating me as if I did something wrong. I mean, even if my husband beat the crap out of me, it's still my prerogative to report it or hide it. They have no proof other than my word. Obviously I don't have any broken bones or bruises that they can see. I wasn't even crying or anything.

He tells me to stay there. I wait in disbelief, but unable to think of something constructive as I am new to this system and have no clue of how to behave. So I play it safe - I act obedient. About 10-15 minutes later another police car appears. (I am such a dangerous criminal, one cop can't handle me, he needed help; I guess that's why he never got out of his car to ask me for my driver's license, cuz he was afraid of me). Two young cops, a jerk and a bitch, approach me and start asking me ridiculous questions. She tells him that she spots a sledge hammer in the car (evidence!!!). He asks what my husband does for a living. I say he just sold a company and he is a mechanical engineer. He asks me if this is why the tools are in front of the backseat. I am like "What tools?" I turn around and see a hammer and a saw. I want to tell them "Ohhhhh, those tools! Noooo, I used them to cut my husband's body so I could transport it to the nearest trash cans!" In reality I want to ask them half-seriously, half-jokingly: "Am I under a suspicion of committing a murder?" But I resist the temptation and just say: "I don't know what those tools are doing here. No, my husband doesn't use them for his work." He is like "Oh, OK." So now it's OK! If he doesn't use them for work, then who uses them for what?

Never mind. He asks me if I had some alcoholic beverages. I say NO (I lie). He asks "What do I smell?" I tell him it's cooking wine. He said he asked me... whatever. He goes somewhere and doesn't come back. I can't believe this is happening to me. They are checking my driver's license for a long time as if there is a lot to check there. I feel like getting out of the car and telling them "Give me the f*cking alcohol-test kit and let me go home, you scumbags, who had bad grades at school!" But I figure if I get out of the car, they will point a gun at me and I might actually die. These people seem waaaaaay off base and act as if I am a criminal. It would cost them nothing to kill me and say it was self-defense. I fear stupidity more than anything else.

He finally comes back and starts giving me some crap about how he could arrest me for operating a vehicle in a DWI, blah-blah...At this moment I figure that he can't arrest me for sh*t, because I am not operating a vehicle, I am parked. No one can prove that I didn't drive 100 yards up my street, had a few sips, and will leave the car there, and walk home. It's an extremely safe neighborhood. I want to smack him, but I change my mind. I tell him that I live right there and whatever and he seems like he lost his patience (although I barely speak at all) and tells me : "No, YOU listen to ME now!" I figure, this is the type that loses his patience that easily and probably beats his wife at home, then searches for another beaten women to arrest them for driving in a drunken state!!! But I am neither beaten nor drunk so I am not his prey tonight.

I blow, it comes way below the limit. They finally want to let me go home, but they want to talk to me and my husband separately. He goes into my house and asks hubby if our fight was physical, etc. At the same time, she gives me a lesson about drinking, saying I am in denial when I say I don't have a drinking problem, and I wanna tell her "Hey, bitch, I know I have a drinking problem, but I don't wanna tell YOU about it... Helllooooooo!" She asks about my personal and marriage problems, advises me to develop friends, seek help for my drinking, think of my kids... :rolleyes:

The male cop tells me that they have to check every case, it's their job, family violence happens.. I tell him: "Yes, while you're talking to me, it happens somewhere else!" But he is too stupid to get my message and says: "Correct!"

Finally I am free to go. I feel violated, abused, dirty... I get in the house and I can't wait to share this traumatic experience with hubby... he says: "I hope you learned your lesson!" cold as ice. I've never ever ever in my life felt so alone like last night when he said that to me. I needed a hug, I needed to cry, I needed someone... I called my dad later and felt better. But I still feel traumatized.

My question is: can I report them? Will they be punished or at least criticized for torturing an innocent person for nothing? I am afraid that they will see me again and torture me if I report them. Now I am afraid to get out of the house out of fear that if I just stand in the street I will be suspicious and be taken to jail for that. This is not how it's supposed to be in the United States. This is typical for some dictator's country, but not here. I shouldn't be afraid to walk or drive freely. I did nothing wrong and I was kept as a suspect in the street. They should have checked my license and my alcohol level, but not interrogate me about my personal things and give me sh*t about it. Can I report them to the authorities? What would I achieve by that? Any information is appreciated.

IfWishesWereHorses

Won't do you a bit of good to report them. They will however make trouble for you. Do you think your H called them? That's unbelievable, but I've been in a situation with the law even crazier that that! Best to let it go.

these cops who work in nice well-to-do cities have little to do so somethimes they do this to stave of boredom.

but there is nothing you can do RP

• Author
RecordProducer
Do you think your H called them?
Absolutely not! My husband might be insensitive about things, but he would never do something on purpose that would hurt me or anybody else. I think you didn't read m,y post, because they based the whole case on their assumption that my husband beat me.

So in the US the police is a dictator, huh? :mad:

I remember I was walking down the side walk at like 2am hanging out with two of my friends and I cut across a closed gas station to get to where I had parked my car and this sheriff swung his car into this dukes of hazard style screech stop and ordered me and my friends to show him our licenses then 2 other cop cars showed up and they were all interogating us and saying you know you were trespassing but were going to let you go and then my friend did it as we were walking to my car my black friend yelled "I got shotgun" luckily I wasnt killed they must have relized my friend just wanted to sit passanger seat.

• Author
RecordProducer
I remember I was walking down the side walk at like 2am hanging out with two of my friends and I cut across a closed gas station to get to where I had parked my car and this sheriff swung his car into this dukes of hazard style screech stop and ordered me and my friends to show him our licenses then 2 other cop cars showed up and they were all interogating us and saying you know you were trespassing but were going to let you go and then my friend did it as we were walking to my car my black friend yelled "I got shotgun" luckily I wasnt killed they must have relized my friend just wanted to sit passanger seat.
But I didn't break the law in any respect, do you realize that? They desperately wanted to catch me in something, but they couldn't. They even tried to prescribe me a murder. :laugh::mad:

He said himself that I have a right to be properly parked and be in the car, but they had to check. Bull! So your friend yelled that he had a shotgun? :confused: Did he? Why'd he say that?

So in the US the police is a dictator, huh? :mad:

pretty much...they can do whatever they want to whomever at any time.

Hey, RP. Maybe try to look on the bright side: They made sure you were ok. Under other circumstances you could have been thanking God for them. From their perspective, they can't tell the difference between someone who needs help and someone who doesn't until they dig a little deeper.

I'm not saying it's not embarrassing or annoying. But there's probably nothing you can do about it, except choose a point of view that gives you the least amount of stress.

I also understand that most drunk driving laws don't distinguish between whether the car is moving or not. Or whether the cop actually saw you drive the car. You need only be in the car with the keys. You could actually be asleep when they find you, and they can still arrest you. Having an open container in the car is often an offense of its own. They might actually have gone easy on you.

Anyway, I understand how you feel. Hang in there!

StaringContest
But I didn't break the law in any respect, do you realize that?

I've been told that if you're in the driver's seat with the keys in the ignition, they can arrest your for DWI even if you're parked. But they should've just given you a breathalyzer and been done with it like you said.

Not much you can do about it. Cops are d*cks and they're allowed to get away with it.

Bull! So your friend yelled that he had a shotgun? :confused: Did he? Why'd he say that?
"I've got shotgun" means you've got dibs on the passenger seat.
burning 4 revenge

Not much you can do about it. Cops are d*cks and they're allowed to get away with it.

I wonder if you'd survive one day in this jungle of a nation if the cops got sick of the disrespect and all just went home.
StaringContest
I wonder if you'd survive one day in this jungle of a nation if the cops got sick of the disrespect and all just went home.

I'd rather they got sick of the disrespect and stopped being d*cks.

Everyone loves the police when they need them. That's not to say some aren't d*cks. I just wouldn't paint them all with the same brush.

RP depending on the laws in your jurisdiction they might very well have arrested you for a number of things. They were going easy on you and trying to find out what was going on, if there was a physical assault and etc. They treat you like krap so that you think they are mean SOB's that would just as soon beat you up as talk to you. It's their way of maintaining control...they don't know who you are or what your state of mind is. Nothing personal it's just cop business. :lmao:

Your best bet is to put it all behind you and forget about it.

StaringContest

Besides, the number of chicks they get just for wearing the uniform makes up for any disrespect they get. Except the lady cops... well the straight lady cops anyway. Dum deal for them.

• Author
RecordProducer
Did you feel like an Albanian in Serbia?
Asking a Slavic-Jewish woman if I felt like a dirty, f*cking, stinky Muslim Albanian with whom I would never even talk is like asking an American if he felt like an Arab in Irag? Burning... you're not very smart, although Touche thinks you are. And you're very ignorant.

RP depending on the laws in your jurisdiction they might very well have arrested you for a number of things.
Craig, I did absolutely nothign wrong. I was parked, I was respectful of them, my alcohol test turned out way below the legal limit. What could they arest me for that could be legal?

Question:

Craig, I did absolutely nothign wrong. I was parked, I was respectful of them, my alcohol test turned out way below the legal limit. What could they arest me for that could be legal?

Answer:

I also understand that most drunk driving laws don't distinguish between whether the car is moving or not. Or whether the cop actually saw you drive the car. You need only be in the car with the keys. You could actually be asleep when they find you, and they can still arrest you. Having an open container in the car is often an offense of its own. They might actually have gone easy on you.
Trialbyfire

While I understand the need to stop drunk drivers, once you blew below the allowable limit, I find the continued line of questioning overboard. Most cops wouldn't have bothered beyond that because they have better things to do.

The veteran cops that I know would rather put their hands into a vat of boiling oil rather than get involved in a domestic situation. It must have been a rookie or new cop attempting to handle the situation with little to no experience.

when I covered the police beat, nearly every officer I rode with explained that domestic situations were the worst because they never knew what to expect. For that reason, they're supposed to have back-up officers at the scene.

factor in an upset woman whose had a few chugs of alcohol who admits having left home because of a domestic confrontation ... well, I don't imagine any cop would have put on kid gloves to handle the situation, regardless of how nice you really are or how upscale the neighborhood is. Much better to piss off an innocent civilian every time than encounter their worst fear of a violent domestic call or traffic stop ...

I'm sorry this has happened to you, because not all cops are *ssholes – there are a good number of genuinely decent folks who walk the blue line. You weren't expecting the treatment they gave because YOU know that you weren't drunk, but they are trained to be prepared for the worst ... that you were under the influence and potentially a threat to yourself and the general public. It wasn't anything personal, just them responding to training.

best thing to do is chalk it up to experience, and not stew over it. You knew you didn't do anything criminal, and they walked away knowing that things weren't as bad as they were prepared to deal with.

• Author
RecordProducer
Question:

Answer:

Johan, please read again what you said and quoted for the second time and NOTE that MY ALCOHOL LEVEL WAS WAY BELOW THE LIMIT!!!!!

Now tel me about driving or being parked in a drunken state! can they arrest you for NOT being drunk? Is that part of the drinking driving laws?

While I understand the need to stop drunk drivers, once you blew below the allowable limit, I find the continued line of questioning overboard. Most cops wouldn't have bothered beyond that because they have better things to do.

The veteran cops that I know would rather put their hands into a vat of boiling oil rather than get involved in a domestic situation. It must have been a rookie or new cop attempting to handle the situation with little to no experience.

Yoy're right on the money, T. Three dirty_harry-wannabes in a quiet neighborhood with nothing to do will harras anyone who stands in their way. I still don't believe there is nothing I can do about it and that they can waste their time torturing a clearly innocent person with no problems instead of looking for the real bad guys, which the society is overwhelmed with.

Back in 1998 I was driving my dad's Audi A6 down the freeway at nite. It was brand new and had the blue hi-discharge headlight (which were fairly new at the time). I am driving the speed limit. Lites come on behind me. State trooper pulls me over. This clown was like 24 and right out of academy.

He says he pulled me over for possible illegal headlights. So he looks at them for 15 minutes and makes some calls over radio. I tell him these are factory headlights and car came like that. He lets me go. Does not even say sorry or anything.

Weird!

I wouldn't like it one bit either, RP.

But remember they are trained to gather data and make generalizations and assumptions about a situation, based on their training and past experience. In general, what they saw may often add up to trouble, even if it didn't in your case.

You would be surprised at how many cases of domestic violence crop up in well to do neighborhoods.

That is why I don't think you can report them for anything because they were just trying to be on the safe side. That doesn't mean they have good people skills or that they couldn't have handled it better.

However, they can't know your alcohol level until after they test you, so until they do, they will assume the worst case scenario, if nothing else than for their own safety.

Some of their questions, like about the tools in your back seat, do seem extreme. It is more likely that they would be looking for drugs and alcohol, or a more typical weapon, like a knife or a handgun.

Back in 1998 I was driving my dad's Audi A6 down the freeway at nite. It was brand new and had the blue hi-discharge headlight (which were fairly new at the time). I am driving the speed limit. Lites come on behind me. State trooper pulls me over. This clown was like 24 and right out of academy.

He says he pulled me over for possible illegal headlights. So he looks at them for 15 minutes and makes some calls over radio. I tell him these are factory headlights and car came like that. He lets me go. Does not even say sorry or anything.

Weird!

There is a lot of evidence for racial profiling in traffic stops. Maybe he thought you looked like Eric Estrada.

Trialbyfire

Blue headlights are illegal unless they're HIDs. All he had to do was to put a white piece of paper in front of them fairly close to the headlight and if the light reflects mostly white on the paper, they are HIDs. If the light is blue, they are just blue bulbs on a standard Halogen headlight and you're busted.