LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Keeping yourself anonymous means keeping your mouth shut!!!

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2005, 8:31 PM   #1
LoveShack.org Director
LoveShack.org Director

Keeping yourself anonymous means keeping your mouth shut!!!

Lately, we have had a rash of members beseeching us to edit or erase one, several or EVERY post they've ever made on LoveShack because they gave someone close to them their anonymous and private username, the one they use here. Needless to say, once you open your mouth you can't take it back. People are curious and they will come to the site and look at your every post if they have time.

Why people find it so hard to keep their private business private simply escapes me. However, it is NOT the policy of LoveShack.org to delete posts just because someone gave out their username UNLESS their life is in danger or there is a direct threat to the security of the free world. Exceptions are made on a case by case basis but deletions rarely occur. Doing so simply isn't fair to the numerous members and guests who took the time to give advice on the thread or threads in question.

Moderators are way too busy keeping up with day-to-day work without having to manually delete posts. Please be careful in all you do. It's so very easy to keep your username and password to yourself. There's no work to it at all. If you feel compelled to compromise your personal identification information, go outside and tell the neighbor's dog....unless, of course, your username is bow wow.

I hope everyone here will consider making it a policy to keep their mouth closed when it comes to personal information about themselves, or anybody else. There are sometimes embarassing consequences that can be had as a result of not following this policy.
Old 1st June 2005, 8:55 PM   #2
Unconfirmed Account

So....you mean to tell me people actually tell other people what their handle is here?

Brilliant!!!
ConfusedInOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 9:23 PM   #3
Established Member

I don't even tell my friends about this forum. It's 'a relationship forum' and that's it. After all, if they need advice they have me in person
moimeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 5:16 AM   #4
Established Member

I'm one of these people who recently asked for editing of posts. It was not because I went around telling people that I'm participating in this relationship forum. I've also never told anybody what my username is. Sometimes you write so much, because you don't realize you're going to stay for such a long time on this messageboard. I also recently realized how many people surf this website.

So situations change, you acquire more knowledge and you decide that some harmless information you had provided before in your posts should maybe better not float around in the internet.

I am sorry, you had so much work (well, actually it was Paul who edited my posts), but if it had been possible I would have done it myself.

One thing I can assure you though, Tony, I've posted some things that needed to be deleted, but I'm not going to disclose my real name or real address here on LS, not even to you.
tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 5:29 AM   #5
Established Member

Well if you never give anyone your username what's the point of asking to have stuff deleted? Who cares if it's on the internet if it can't be tied to you?
moimeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 5:37 AM   #6
Established Member

Other posters and a couple of other anonymous people who are not even registered can read it. If you have a crazy friend who decides to google your name or some other interesting keywords he may end up with your posts. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Could be, because I'm so horribly curious sometimes and therefore assume that everybody else suffers the same degree of curiosity.

Last edited by tokyo; 2nd June 2005 at 5:39 AM..
tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 6:58 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kooky
If you have a crazy friend who decides to google your name or some other interesting keywords he may end up with your posts.
It's a good tip to avoid unusual keywords or personal details in your posts. For example, if you own a Wildebeest farm in Alaska (I don't - this is just an example) this is eminently googlable. When local enthusiasts (in their thousands!) key in these words they'll find all the details of your sex life too. This may or may not make them keener to visit the farm, but will certainly put a smile on the face of those that do

Another user actually did do something like this.

Confused, I'm fairly sure I could work out who you are too without too much effort - you've given out some rather specific personal details.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 10th June 2005 at 1:57 AM.. Reason: User request.
ReluctantRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 8:00 AM   #8
Established Member

Yes withgout giving your handle, sometimes ppl can find out, like recently there was thread saying " What do you do for living ?" Sometimes answers to threads like this can in some way reveal something about you, like I produced the film which won the prize at the just concluded Cannes film festival.

easy guess for anyone who are you ?
Old 2nd June 2005, 8:26 AM   #9
Established Member

Ah, yes... That's why I'm not really a girl, nor not really getting a divorce. Uhh, I'm just here because I need some friends
dgiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 1:21 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kooky
I'm one of these people who recently asked for editing of posts. It was not because I went around telling people that I'm participating in this relationship forum. I've also never told anybody what my username is. Sometimes you write so much, because you don't realize you're going to stay for such a long time on this messageboard. I also recently realized how many people surf this website.

So situations change, you acquire more knowledge and you decide that some harmless information you had provided before in your posts should maybe better not float around in the internet.

I am sorry, you had so much work (well, actually it was Paul who edited my posts), but if it had been possible I would have done it myself.

One thing I can assure you though, Tony, I've posted some things that needed to be deleted, but I'm not going to disclose my real name or real address here on LS, not even to you.
You're extremely lucky then to have them edit down your previous posts Kooky. I recently asked for one thread to disappear and one comment I made on another post and was told no, couldn't be done.

That's OK and I understand the rules and all. I know now not to put down anything really stupid and insane that could come back and bite me in the ass.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 1:26 PM   #11
Established Member

'noid

u guys and gals are gettin' waaaay too paranoid here
Old 2nd June 2005, 1:35 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
OK the more I think of this, it's now kinda bothering me...All I asked for was one thread to disappear (only 2 people replied to it and only one is still here active on LS) and a comment I made on somebody else's thread.

Maybe I should dump whichwayisup and start a new alias. Sorry, I don't want to make a big deal of this but it's kinda unfair that one person can have their posts edited down and others can't. Either do it for everbody or don't do it at all. (No, I'm not getting pissy about this ALPHA, cuz I know you're gonna come up with some smart ass reply! ) I just think being fair and equal to everybody is the right way to go.

*WWIU runs and hides incase she gets into ***** for saying what I said...*
Old 2nd June 2005, 1:47 PM   #13
Established Member

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if my ex has found out about this site somehow. I've seen people I know looking at it on my computer when they were on it (without asking ) because they found it in the history. I don't care, really, if they read my posts anymore. I just have to be aware that it's possible, and be ready to tell a person to **** off for snooping. Just because somebody can look doesn't mean that they have the right to, and I'm willing to bet that, with the right words, you can make them a lot more embarassed for knowing things they read off a message board then they can make you.

There is no art to lying. Telling a fib is easy. To make the truth interesting is magical.

I tend not to err on the side of caution
BrotherAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 2:00 PM   #14
Established Member

Cant we edit our own posts? If someone feels they revealed too much of themselves cant we use the edit button on the bottom of the message? Just wondering.
RoxStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 2:01 PM   #15
Established Member

We can edit our own posts, but it's timed for like 20 mins or so. After 20 mins you're basically screwed.