LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Spam Posts - For Mods

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2017, 6:09 PM   #1
Established Member

mass spammers

Forgive me if this has already been asked...

The appearance of a mass spammer today makes me wonder if you've ever looked at limiting how many posts a new poster can do on one day.

Also, do I only have to report one or two for you to find and delete all of them?
S2B likes this.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 6:12 PM   #2
Established Member

Journal Entries: 3
Not that I know of. Anyone can post 20 times a day if he wants to, unless it's blatant spam or trolling.

I don't think the mods have a 'right' solution. Report and they get booted out for now.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 6:17 AM   #3
Established Member

Spam bots are out of control
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 7:03 AM   #4
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Only Paul the owner of the forum can control those things, has he looked into them.. I don't know, he hasn't spoken to moderation in a couple of years now.

We as moderators only have the power to do what we are doing now, moderation rather than changing the forum or the forum software.

I do remember a few years ago.. or longer for all I know that it was discussed but it was felt that limiting a new account would limit the help the new members could get.
Many of the LoveShack membership come here to get a few answers and only post 1-20 times.

The mass spammers get caught when we as moderators login and ban them and trust me, we don't like it anymore than you do.
If it were up to me they would be pulled into court and sued for what they are doing but it isn't my place.

Thanks for your suggestion, it would probably help but we have no way to implement it.
basil67 likes this.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 7:05 AM   #5
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

BTW, all of your spam alerts are appreciated and it helps make LoveShack a better place.
basil67 likes this.
Old 9th October 2017, 7:12 AM   #6
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
Also, do I only have to report one or two for you to find and delete all of them?

Yes, when a mass spammer is reported we go back and delete all of their posts so if you notice the same username popping up over and over there is no need to write an alert for each post to have them removed ~T
basil67 likes this.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 8:59 PM   #7
Established Member

Spam Posts - For Mods

Mods there are a ton of spam post recently.
I just went on a ton of threads that I get notifications on and all the replies were spam posts.

Please look into this.
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 10:52 PM   #8
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Well, we have and do delete spam, some days hundreds of spam posts but as volunteers here we also have lives and at times step away from moderation here to spend time with our families.

For example, tonight I am normally on in the early evening but my Son had a Baseball tournament game to play and I am just getting on now, they won BTW.

Please report the spam and when moderation (4 active moderators at this time) login they will delete it and ban the offenders.

Thanks

~Robert
Old 11th October 2017, 11:12 PM   #9
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I just deleted over 500 spams, 220 users who had spammed the forum.

This is not typical for LoveShack.

Keep reporting the posters and hopefully we will keep them at bay and they will go away
Old 12th October 2017, 12:26 AM   #10
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Yeah, I got sidetracked after doing about 48, all of which came from the same IP. Thanks ~R for taking care of that. When I logged on there were at least 30 spam reports and all I took care of weren't threads, rather inserted posts. I did the Indian spam early this morning where there were phone numbers in the title line. Echo that this is unusual but spam does come in cycles generally so not surprising.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:35 AM   #11
Established Member

I hope all of this activity isn't because I posted that link on the witch thread. Right after that there was all kinds of spell casting spam showing up.

I'm very sorry if that's why. I was just trying to help out the OP not turn this place into Hogwarts.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:44 AM   #12
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Spam is generally robotic and impersonal and related to site security measures and web ranking. It's nothing you or any other member did or posted. Definitely do limit the publication of commercial links but not because of spam rather because Paul wants it that way. Thanks!
Old 12th October 2017, 7:43 AM   #13
Established Member

Thank you mods! I really appreciate it!
Robert likes this.
Old 12th October 2017, 7:47 AM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
I hope all of this activity isn't because I posted that link on the witch thread. Right after that there was all kinds of spell casting spam showing up.

I'm very sorry if that's why. I was just trying to help out the OP not turn this place into Hogwarts.
Don’t think so. All the spam I saw as related to “texting hot girls in your area”
Old 12th October 2017, 6:06 PM   #15
Established Member

Spam attack!

Wow, that is a lot of spam.
viatori patuit is offline   Reply With Quote