LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Editing posts, time before the edit flag appears

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JuneL
  • 2 Post By JamesM
  • 1 Post By pureinheart
  • 1 Post By JamesM
  • 1 Post By Mrs. John Adams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2017, 7:23 AM   #1
Established Member

Editing posts, time before the edit flag appears

I often post and then as I read the post in the forum discover small errors such as spelling, grammar and omitted or extra words. For some reason they are much easier to proof in the post than in the composition box. The time we have before it's flagged as an edited post seems short, like a minute or two. I know it's a small thing, but I'd really like to have more time to make small corrections. I suspect many others may feel the same. Is there a reason why the time is set as it is, and is there any possibility of allowing more time to do simple edits?

Edit: looks like it's set for two minutes. Wouldn't it be nice to have 4-5?

Last edited by salparadise; 2nd February 2017 at 7:25 AM..
salparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 8:33 AM   #2
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
How are posts/threads edited/deleted? How is a username changed/deleted?

Q. Why can't I edit my post/thread?

The person who owns the forum and constructed it set it up to only allow a brief period of user-controlled editing. That period varies depending upon the post and any responses.

1. If the post has no responses, it can be user-edited for a short period of time without any notation of that edit and a longer period of time, from my experience up to a couple of hours, with a notated edit (readers can see the post was edited). After that period, no user edits are available.

2. If the post has responses, user edits are disallowed. The only editing allowed at that point is by moderation.

*******At this point in time, there is no change possible to our forum because the person responsible for that change has not been in contact with the forum for a long time. Hence, suggestions for changes will not be responded to because, well, moderation can't change anything.********

ETA, I agree the editing stuff could be more like other forums where a longer time for unnotated editing exists but, in a way, the owner is smart because notated edits can be read by moderation and the owner and people often use such tactics to publish and redact inflammatory content. Another example of how the few bad apples can affect the freedoms for the many. I don't particular like it but it is what it is.

Last edited by carhill; 2nd February 2017 at 8:39 AM.. Reason: Add opinion
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 8:40 AM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salparadise View Post
I often post and then as I read the post in the forum discover small errors such as spelling, grammar and omitted or extra words. For some reason they are much easier to proof in the post than in the composition box. The time we have before it's flagged as an edited post seems short, like a minute or two. I know it's a small thing, but I'd really like to have more time to make small corrections. I suspect many others may feel the same. Is there a reason why the time is set as it is, and is there any possibility of allowing more time to do simple edits?

You may preview your entry (which would be in the "post" format) before submitting it. From my experience, it seems that once someone has liked or quoted your post, then it can't be further edited.
JamesM likes this.
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 9:34 AM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
You may preview your entry (which would be in the "post" format) before submitting it. From my experience, it seems that once someone has liked or quoted your post, then it can't be further edited.
I asked the same question myself many moons ago and although this is supposed to be the case, I can tell you from my own personal experience that it's not necessarily consistent.

Some posts will let me edit numerous times and after people have commented/liked the thread even days later and other posts will shut me out immediately despite no thread traffic at all.

It's just one of those funny little online mysteries.

I agree with JuneL that it might help to preview your posts before submitting them to avoid further frustrations. And if you still find your submissions filled with errors, just know we've all been there and will not hold it against you
Old 2nd February 2017, 9:49 AM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salparadise View Post

I assume you preview your post before submitting? This gives you all of the time needed to edit.

However, if you are like me, then for some reason, little typos evade my eyes and spell check (ie "son" instead of "soon") and to leave them would indicate my stupidity.

From my few years of experience here, you usually have until the next person posts on the same thread or likes yours as was said. In a heated debate, this could mean literally seconds. In a thread filled with crickets, it could be an hour or two.

I always figured that the reason editing was not allowed after someone else posted is to avoid posters editing after seeing someone's response to their post.
Old 4th February 2017, 1:14 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
I assume you preview your post before submitting? This gives you all of the time needed to edit.

However, if you are like me, then for some reason, little typos evade my eyes and spell check (ie "son" instead of "soon") and to leave them would indicate my stupidity.

From my few years of experience here, you usually have until the next person posts on the same thread or likes yours as was said. In a heated debate, this could mean literally seconds. In a thread filled with crickets, it could be an hour or two.

I always figured that the reason editing was not allowed after someone else posted is to avoid posters editing after seeing someone's response to their post.
This is my experience too... hey BTW ((((((hugs James))))) hoping all is well with you!
JamesM likes this.
Old 4th February 2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureinheart View Post
This is my experience too... hey BTW ((((((hugs James))))) hoping all is well with you!
Thanks, pureinheart! Good to see you too...and everything is okay. Def could be worse.

And yes...Experience taught me to preview before hitting submit for not only spelling and grammatical reasons, but also to avoid saying things I may regret.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 4:04 PM   #8
Established Member

Journal Entries: 3
Ive been on LS for well over a years and this grind my gears too. Every time. I cannot edit my typos because someone so quickly posted another message.

Sadly, the mods @William and @Robert have no control on this. Only Paul (Fouders) could modify the edit time. Ideally 30 minutes and that include if one or several posters have contributed below your own posts.

The bad news is: The Mods havent seem Paul log in in months.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 7:38 AM   #9
Established Member

As far as I have worked out, there's 3 phases to the editability of your posts:

1) You can edit it without the edited message appearing. This seems to last for 1-2 minutes on some forums but longer on others. Sometimes you can make multiple changes but sometimes it goes to phase 2 after the first edit.

2) You can still edit it but it will show the edited message. You can make as many edits as you like but after 15 minutes from the original post it will move to phase 3.

3) You can't edit your post.

If anyone else posts on the thread then your post jumps to phase 3 immediately, even if you're halfway through editing it. You must press "save changes" before anyone else posts.

Personally I think this scheme makes sense. You can correct typos if you're quick and no-one is any the wiser. If you're making bigger edits which probably change the meaning or add content then there's a message to tell others that what they are reading might not be what was originally written. And if someone else has posted, which could possibly involve responding to what you wrote or even quoting it, then you shouldn't be able to go back and retrospectively make changes, since allowing that would be a troll's dream come true.
Old 13th February 2017, 8:44 PM   #10
Established Member

I wish we had the power to not only edit but to delete our own posts.
Mrs. John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote