LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

reporting spam threads

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By bluefeather
  • 1 Post By Robert
  • 1 Post By basil67
  • 1 Post By bluefeather
  • 2 Post By Robert
  • 1 Post By basil67
  • 1 Post By William
  • 3 Post By Robert
  • 1 Post By Shanex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2017, 3:27 PM   #1
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
reporting spam threads

helpful or not? I can do it if I see one, but sometimes I wonder, "what if lots of people already reported it, and then the moderator gets 20 reports on the same post that he/she was already about to delete?"
Downtown likes this.
bluefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 3:39 PM   #2
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
helpful or not? I can do it if I see one, but sometimes I wonder, "what if lots of people already reported it, and then the moderator gets 20 reports on the same post that he/she was already about to delete?"
Very helpful and we highly encourage members to report spam, trolls, or other violations of our community guidelines by using the "Alert Us" button.

Receiving 20 reports on the same post would be extremely rare. Most of the spam goes unreported although there are certain members that report it often and a special thanks goes out to them.

We appreciate all the reports even if we can't get to everything.

Thank you!

~6
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 3:41 PM   #3
Established Member

I tend to look at the number of views/posts on a thread. If it's got no posts and one view, I assume that the single view was someone reporting the thread.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 3:54 PM   #4
Established Member

good to know, ty
Old 29th January 2017, 4:02 PM   #5
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
I tend to look at the number of views/posts on a thread. If it's got no posts and one view, I assume that the single view was someone reporting the thread.
Unfortunately that is not a safe assumption to make. We regularly see spam posts and threads with 20-30 views and no reports.

We appreciate all reports even if there are multiple reports for a single post.

~6
Old 29th January 2017, 4:42 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Unfortunately that is not a safe assumption to make. We regularly see spam posts and threads with 20-30 views and no reports.

We appreciate all reports even if there are multiple reports for a single post.

~6
Thanks for the clarification
Old 29th January 2017, 5:35 PM   #7
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Basically, moderation will never complain and always compliment members for reporting any sightings of spam here, and spammers can be exceedingly clever, with the most clever inserting links into text responses to posts that others start. There's also the signature or profile spammers who post links or URL's in their signature line or profile.

With the recent spate of spam we often get multiple reports if we don't catch it right away, generally the most on the overnight US time period, but that's OK. Report away. The multiple reports end up as responses in a thread to the first report, in a forum which basically looks like this one except not viewable by members.

Thanks for your reports and keep them coming!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 3:30 PM   #8
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Thanks for your reports and keep them coming!
Bumping this thread because I found a spam post from last month with 141 views and no reports. Also found 4 spam posts more recently with 50+ views and no reports.

We do appreciate the reports when they come in. Thanks! ~6
Old 30th April 2017, 7:30 PM   #9
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

We've had a lot of thread title spam in the last month, though it is quiet this weekend so far, and today we added another weapon in the battle against spam, a new female moderator, hereafter known as ~JC, who's been a LoveShack member for many years and so graciously accepted our invitation to help out. We thank her for that and the first area of training will be that of nuking the spammers here so please keep those reports coming. Thanks!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 8:34 PM   #10
Established Member

Journal Entries: 3
Welcome JC, and I have my own flamethrower (Alert us button) in case the russians spammers or the Burger King troll shows up.
Shanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 1:30 AM   #11
Established Member

Congrats ~JC
Old 1st May 2017, 1:45 AM   #12
Established Member

Welcome JC. And yeah - I haven't seen the russian spammers for a week or so. Fingers crossed they're giving it a break.