LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Using the "Ignore List" aka blocking another member

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By William

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2015, 2:14 PM   #1
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Using the "Ignore List" aka blocking another member

Let's face it folks, on a forum such as this there will be no shortage of differences of opinion.

Posts that cross the line are always eligible for alert, but what do you do when you just can't agree to disagree with a certain member?

That's where the "Ignore List" comes in and it is available free of charge to all members. Below is a step by step walk through of adding someone (or several someones) to the list. ~T

1.Go to your Control Panel by clicking My Profile/CP in the pink bar at the top of the screen

2. Going down the list that pops up, under the section labeled Settings & Options you will see Edit Ignore List at the very bottom.

3. After clicking Edit Ignore List you will be prompted to add a name to the list, just type the name of the member you wish to ignore and click Okay (no you cannot choose to ignore the moderators )

4. Once a member is added to the list, you will see that they posted, but instead of seeing the post, you will see the message...
This message is hidden because >username< is on your ignore list.

There will also be an option to view the post if you so choose or remove the user from the list at the right where the post number would typically be.

Back at the ignore list in the control panel you can remove someone from the list by unchecking the box next to their name and clicking Save Changes.

Last edited by William; 22nd November 2015 at 2:22 PM..
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 4:24 PM   #2
Established Member

A question about 'ignore.' I don't think I am grasping the 'ignore' concept. If a person is a troll or seeking to antagonize a poster, then they are moderated.

So, if a person is placed on 'ignore' that means that the person on ignore has not been specifically offensive but has posted an opinion another poster disagrees with or simply does not like. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of an open forum? If a poster is not insulting, derogatory or inflammatory.....but stating a difference of opinion/perspective....then how is it beneficial to be able to flippantly place a person on ignore on a forum that values a multitude of advice?

On the flip of this, if I have been put on ignore by a thread starter, then I would not want to waste my time responding to such thread. I mean, if the thread starter has decided that my post/opinion is of no value.....there is no reason for me to respond. I don't know that I am on ignore so stupidly reply and waste my time.

Is there a way a poster can bypass threads that they are on 'ignore?'
Btw- I have never put anyone on ignore, not once, ever.

Thanks William(s)/Robert.
Timshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 4:31 PM   #3
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I'll avoid forum politics but will state that the ignore feature is the single best way to kill private messages from other members that one doesn't want to have contact with.

This thread is meant to describe how our system works rather than to discuss the politics of its use. Members are free to use it in any way they choose. If members have questions about how the system works please post them here. Thank you
Old 30th November 2015, 4:38 PM   #4
Established Member

Ok, forgot about PM.

Thank you.
Timshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 4:49 PM   #5
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Some quick ignore list facts from my experience and advice to members:

If you have ignored a member you can not like their posts but they can like yours

If you have a member on your ignore list you won't see the content of their posts and won't be notified of their responses to threads you would otherwise be notified of but you will see the content of their post if it is quoted by a member who is not being ignored.

If you have a member on your ignore list they can form and send private messages but they will disappear into the database and you'll never receive them.

You won't be able to send them private messages as long as they are on your ignore list

Any messages from an ignored member will be automatically selected for deletion in your message list so if you delete private messages and don't deselect their message it will be deleted along with any other messages selected for deletion

Last edited by William; 30th November 2015 at 4:54 PM..
Old 30th November 2015, 5:06 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I'll avoid forum politics but will state that the ignore feature is the single best way to kill private messages from other members that one doesn't want to have contact with.

This thread is meant to describe how our system works rather than to discuss the politics of its use. Members are free to use it in any way they choose. If members have questions about how the system works please post them here. Thank you
Oh wow, I didn't know this....
Old 30th November 2015, 8:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
A question about 'ignore.' I don't think I am grasping the 'ignore' concept. If a person is a troll or seeking to antagonize a poster, then they are moderated.

So, if a person is placed on 'ignore' that means that the person on ignore has not been specifically offensive but has posted an opinion another poster disagrees with or simply does not like. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of an open forum? If a poster is not insulting, derogatory or inflammatory.....but stating a difference of opinion/perspective....then how is it beneficial to be able to flippantly place a person on ignore on a forum that values a multitude of advice?

On the flip of this, if I have been put on ignore by a thread starter, then I would not want to waste my time responding to such thread. I mean, if the thread starter has decided that my post/opinion is of no value.....there is no reason for me to respond. I don't know that I am on ignore so stupidly reply and waste my time.

Is there a way a poster can bypass threads that they are on 'ignore?'
Btw- I have never put anyone on ignore, not once, ever.

Thanks William(s)/Robert.
The ignore function is a non-intrusive way to block out commentary from someone that people find offensive. The other person, nor anyone else knows that someone is being ignored.

Its no different than simply scrolling past person's post.
Wewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 6:41 PM   #8
Established Member

blocking some one

How do you block some one on here?...thanks
Poe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 6:44 PM   #9
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/gene...ng-ignore-list
Old 22nd January 2017, 6:46 PM   #10
Established Member

I see thank you
Poe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 6:50 PM   #11
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Recent question merged to reopen thread to any further clarifications regarding the ignore list
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:08 PM   #12
Established Member

Thanks William,
I'll use this block someone from PMing me again.
Will this ignore feature prevent PMs from someone who changes their screen name?

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 23rd January 2017 at 12:11 PM..
Gold Pile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:13 PM   #13
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

No member can change their screen name. Members can re-register with a different account entirely, starting from scratch, which means one month and 50 posts to PM privileges. Established members such as yourself are allowed duplicate accounts as long as they remain in good standing. Any abuse and all are subject to ban without recourse.