LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

I have no active infractions; why do my posts require moderation?

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2014, 6:34 PM   #1
Established Member

I have no active infractions; why do my posts require moderation?

Robert I know you addressed this the other day and it was fine.....but now it's requiring approval again?

Apologies that this continues to be a problem and I feel bad it keeps taking up your attention.....
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 8:07 PM   #2
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

That's a really pertinent question, and one we addressed with the site owner at our last conference.

As Robert shared with you privately, but I will out there for more general public consumption in a specific thread, if you're not suspended or moderated, meaning you've had interactions with moderation regarding your forum postings and/or demeanor, and your postings still go to moderation for review, then it's overwhelmingly one or more of three things:

1. You're posting from in internet protocol address which LoveShack's servers have identified on internet black lists as a 'bad' IP. That could have nothing to do with you. Blacklist clearinghouses take reports from reporters like internet forums and create databases of 'bad' internet address, usually where spam comes from, but also known abuse/disruption/trolling, and then publishes their results to forum software which controls access to our forum. If you get on a list and the forum software processes it as bad and sees it, your post gets shunted to moderation for review.

2. Our software also looks for datastream anomalies, comparing what is sent to your computer to what comes back. If the system detects stuff which may be harmful to the server or forum software, again something you may not be aware of or have control over, it could cause your postings to be sent to moderation, or it could block them completely and you'll get an error message. A really common example of datastream stuff would be posting a commercial hyperlink. Those often get sent to moderation because the site owner generally prohibits such links.

3. I've heard rumors, unsubstantiated, that the software is set to reject certain word combinations for publishing, but have been unable to verify that with the site owner. The office joke is the software rejects 'bad advice', but in my opinion that's highly unlikely. However, the site owner does have the software set to reject/change certain words and phrases, so I guess anything is possible.

To my knowledge, and we've asked, the site owner *does not* block internet protocol addresses. However, if he did, you'd get an error when trying to access the site and that is nothing like the typical complaint. You wouldn't be able to even read anything here.

When will this moderation review stop? Possibly never! It's out of our control. Out of thousands of posting members, I regularly handle less than ten members who have this issue. Generally, daily, it amounts to one or two members. Practically a zero problem. However, it is a problem for any member who experiences it.

The easiest and best solution moderation can find is to add more moderators to more quickly process any posts in the moderation queue. That's precisely what we're working on right now.

Thanks for your patience and I hope this has been explained, for general consumption, adequately. Members who experience this issue are welcomed to post in this thread and we'll pass their specifics along to the site owner.

Oh, one last thing. As it is possible to become suspended without any specific 'friendly reminder' (FR), generally as a fast measure of stopping a disruptive poster, it is possible to see the moderator approval window without any infractions in one's account. This is very rare and usually only used when there's a huge number of postings to process and we need to stop members from posting in a couple of keystrokes. We can simply hit 'ban member' and choose whether they're moderated or banned and for how long, anywhere from a day to a couple of years. It takes less than ten seconds and is completely undoable once the immediate issues have been resolved. Again, very rare, maybe a couple times a month at most, out of hundreds of FR's.
Satu likes this.

Last edited by William; 5th February 2014 at 8:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot about hyperlinks
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 6:19 AM   #3
Established Member

again my posts have to be moderated?

Is there anything I can do to help fix this? I don't understand why it keeps happening.
Satu likes this.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 7:09 AM   #4
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Abandon this username, have your ISP assign you a new IP address and re-register with a completely different, and innocuous ('Danger' may be a 'bad' word) name.

Edited to add that the merged posting immediately above, which was auto-moderated, did originate from a location which is on two large internet blacklists, spamhaus and zorbs. I'm seeing multiple listings on the differently focused lists, so that could be one possibility. Also, and I've had this issue myself, Time Warner apparently gets itself onto blacklists routinely. I have a static IP on a VPN with them and have had similar issues in the past on other forums.

In my experience, with certain providers, if one is running a hardware firewall and/or VPN (virtual private network), I've had more problems with forums, either auto-moderation like here on LoveShack, or rejection (blocking) of posts or views, depending on forum.

Hope that helps.
Iguanna likes this.

Last edited by William; 7th February 2014 at 8:22 AM.. Reason: Added blacklist info
Old 20th February 2014, 9:18 AM   #5
Established Member

Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved i

Hi,

Just trying to work out why all my new posts say "Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting." as an established member?

Thanks.
Satu likes this.
notthathard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 9:34 AM   #6
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Hello,

I merged your question into the consolidated thread on this issue.

My read is two-fold. One is your location. Two is your IP is listed on two of the big internet blacklists, like the previous poster. The combination of international location and blacklisting is likely tripping our software. No fix from this end by moderation as we have no access to such functionalities.
Old 21st February 2014, 8:15 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
A really common example of datastream stuff would be posting a commercial hyperlink.
Is a link to a book on Amazon considered a commercial link? My posts are getting moderated now, and the only guess I can make as to why is because I recently posted a link to a book of soup recipes on Amazon. And only some of them get moderated - this one did not.
Satu likes this.
Ruby Slippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 10:54 PM   #8
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Any link which ends in '.com' or '.biz' or '.tv', etc, etc, runs the risk of auto-moderation. Additionally, detected commercial content from other countries can be subject to auto-moderation, depending on IP detection.

The site owner would prefer people not directly link to commercial sites, at all. That's why we have a 'friendly reminder' for commercial links, as well as a ban for people who post them regularly.

The approved method of directing a potential reader of a book would be to state 'check out xxx (title of book) book on Amazon', focusing on the content of the book being relevant to the topic. Generally, refrain from making a commercial product the topic of a thread, as commercial products have nothing to do with the intended purpose of this site, which is discussing interpersonal relationships.
Old 2nd March 2014, 2:36 PM   #9
Established Member

Thanks for the clarification! Makes sense.
Satu likes this.
Ruby Slippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 2:45 PM   #10
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I should direct readers to our published guidelines and forgot to do so; I'll do that now:

"External links and fair use

During the course of discussion, participants may wish to share relevant external sites to support an argument. External links must be non-commercial, provide empirical data relevant to the thread of discussion, be sponsored by an accredited educational institution, or link to a peer-reviewed publication. Commercial sites are those which stand to benefit financially either directly or indirectly from traffic directed to them from our site, including those designed to acquire user connection-specific data. All external links must point to text-based (HTML, ASCII) or graphical material (JPEG, GIF, PDF) viewable within the context of a standard web browser. Direct links to file archives, executable programs, screen savers, and other binary files are generally prohibited.

Should it be necessary to quote directly from any source, electronic or otherwise, a proper, full citation must be included. If the resource is located on the web, a direct link should appear with the content. Quotes may not be longer than 250 words.

You may include your personal homepage in the "homepage" field of your profile, however the other fields of your personal profile, including your signature, may not link to or contain a commercial web site as defined above, regardless of whether or not you are the owner."

LoveShack.org: Community Guidelines

Prior to the institution of stronger anti-spam software, it was commonplace for commercial links to show on LoveShack and go unnoticed by moderation, as there are hundreds to thousands of postings here every day and moderation reads practically none of them in any detail (no time!) but the software catches more of them now and directs them to our private queue to read and process. Member reports cover some of the rest but links still do get through.

If the site owner changes his rules on this aspect, we'll definitely announce that.
Satu likes this.

Last edited by William; 2nd March 2014 at 3:59 PM.. Reason: Redacted some horrific grammar
Old 26th March 2014, 5:18 PM   #11
Established Member

Why are my post not instant?

Is this a new feature that I have to get my post reviewed by a moderator before it being posted? It has never happened until a day ago.
Satu likes this.
Stay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014, 6:24 PM   #12
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

You should find some answers in this thread. Reviewing your account, no moderation from our end is required, so it must be a software interaction with your service provider.

Last edited by William; 26th March 2014 at 6:28 PM..
Old 8th April 2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Established Member

One of my posts this morning must have inadvertently contained some troublesome phrase, as I got the message that it needed to be reviewed. I have a guess what it was. Is there any way for me to go in and edit the message? I've posted in one other thread today without a problem.
Waverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:46 AM   #14
Established Member

That has happened to me once, and only once, very recently. I continued posting as usual without a recurrence. I believe it's a server glitch? It may not be that it's anything too troublesome in your post.

I forgot all about mine, matter of fact. Until now, LOL!
MidwestUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:54 AM   #15
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

As content appeared to the human eye to be conforming, posting was approved. That said, I noted that some symbols were turned into odd characters in the quotation, as well as the use of the words 'business', 'hotel' and 'restaurant' one or more times in the body of the post, so it could have been those words in combination tripped the software, which does look for advertising for such entities.

Lastly, the IP posted from appears on three discrete anti-spam lists and on repetitive iterations of one of them which focus on different aspects of spam.

Not much you can do about any of that stuff. Historically, we generally process such postings in under three hours except in the middle of the night since we're sleeping!
Waverly likes this.