LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > LoveShack.org Questions and Comments

Posting to engage rather than preach

LoveShack.org Questions and Comments The place to post any questions or comments you may have regarding LoveShack.org or the LoveShack.org Community Forums. Please Contact Us privately with any inquiries related to your personal account.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2005, 4:34 AM   #16
LoveShack.org
Founder & Director
LoveShack.org Director

Hi XNemesisX,

Quote:
Originally posted by XNemesisX
I don't understand why some posts are deleted to be honest but I guess to some people they might seem offensive. I am a hard person to offend though, I really don't take much offense to anything so maybe I am not the person to be saying this.
Please see our Community Guidelines, which outline the framework for how we decide what is and what is not appropriate for the forums. If a message, comment, or thread fails to meet the criteria in those guidelines, we will likely delete it. See a bit further down for more on this....

Quote:
I have personally never reported a post. I don't see how some people can be so hurt/offended just by someone's opinion on a message board.
Posts should be reported to us to make sure we see them--the idea that the report post mechanism should be used as a retaliatory measure is a concept we're trying to better understand and debunk. We just discussed this in a previous thread. Rather than reiterate, I'll point you to my comments therein.

Quote:
I also do not understand why posts complimenting people or telling them they are good looking are deleted. I have noticed this and I was thinking -

Are we also not allowed to flirt with other members or comment about their appearance in a good way? I was just wondering....sometimes these kinds of posts are deleted and sometimes they aren't.
Our site is meant to be as inclusive as possible and invite all who may come upon it to participate in the discussion. Comments related to a person's appearance as depicted in the member's avatar would be considered a personal message to the member and should be sent privately. It is wholly inappropriate in this community to comment on or rate an individual's avatar anywhere on the public forums.

Avatars are meant to be a form of personal expression and identification and were not intended as a means to share photographs. We highly discourage the use of photographs in avatars and have had numerous instances where individuals posting with a photograph in their avatar have contacted us in a state of panic because a friend, colleague, neighbor, etc. recognized them while viewing the site. There are far, far more people viewing our site then there are posting and posting a picture, in my opinion, is an unnecessary risk that may place members in a position where their privacy and identity might be compromised. It's happened before and will likely happen again.

Any sort of flirtatious messages or other exchanges between a small, select group of people should be conducted in private and have no place on our forums, as highlighted in Community participation and inclusion.

Now you bring up another key point--why do some of the messages stay and some get deleted? The simple fact is that at the present time, there are hundreds of posts made each day and a very small group of moderators attempting to ensure we're maintaining an appropriate environment for collaborative peer-to-peer exchanges. It's not that we feel some personal messages are okay while others aren't--rather it's just that we haven't actually seen the posts that appear to have been left behind. Simply put: We need more moderators and more people reporting posts!

Right now, we're working with a group of individuals who have expressed an interest in taking on the challenge of becoming a moderator and we're developing a new approach to better ensure that we're not only acting consistently and fairly, but that our moderators are not so overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts that appear here each day (not to mention the e-mails we receive and other tasks). I encourage anyone that may be interested in having a hand in that effort to Contact Us for more information and to let us know of your interest. LoveShack.org is constantly evolving and relies heavily on the input of all the people who have committed themselves to volunteering behind-the-scenes. We're particularly interested in hearing from those of you that have been around for a while and have actively participated in the community to ensure that you have an opportunity to express your opinions during those discussions and help steer us toward the future of the community.

Best wishes,
Paul
Old 6th May 2005, 10:26 PM   #17
Established Member

I guess say what you're gonna say advice/thoughts wise, but add in either at the start of the reply or near the end, "Please don't take this personally, I'm not attacking you, I just totally disagree with what you're saying..." That way the original poster can actually read that...And hopefully understand too.

Just my thoughts on this...
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 11:06 PM   #18
Established Member

You know, all of this "reporting crap" is truly childlike and smacks of emotional insecurity to me. If I say something that others think is stupid and they tell me so, that's their right in my opinion. All of this policing of language, tone, attitudes, and so on is just more proof of how our society is heading toward some candy-coated fascist destination where evryone has to follow the rules of the state. And the trouble is, people are really trying to avoid that sort of thing but with every measure of control, aimed at making sure everyone plays nicely, the framework of is being built.

I understand that LS has rules and the founders want it that way. And I can even see how some rules realy do help out like preventing some idiot from posting 99 FuG You's just to bug people. But complaining because, someone says they hate you, or thinks your opinions aren't worth squat just displays insecurity, defensiveness, and ultimately...weakness.
Fester Lungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 11:45 PM   #19
LoveShack.org
Founder & Director
LoveShack.org Director

Hi Fester Lungblood,

Quote:
Originally posted by Fester Lungblood
You know, all of this "reporting crap" is truly childlike and smacks of emotional insecurity to me. If I say something that others think is stupid and they tell me so, that's their right in my opinion. All of this policing of language, tone, attitudes, and so on is just more proof of how our society is heading toward some candy-coated fascist destination where evryone has to follow the rules of the state. And the trouble is, people are really trying to avoid that sort of thing but with every measure of control, aimed at making sure everyone plays nicely, the framework of is being built.
LoveShack.org is not a state-run organization. We're a private organization founded by individuals with a goal of providing a framework best suited to productive collaboration and self-discovery. Our guidelines are not intended as a means of oppression, but rather to prevent the opinions of a less vocal minority from being repressed and encouraging scholarly debate. While the site is open to anyone who would like to participate, when doing so you're guests in our private home and are subject to the boundaries we set. Posting here is a privilege, not a right.

The report post feature is very useful as we deal with an ever increasing number of posts. You touch upon our current concern--that the report tool has been conceptualized as a means of tattling or retaliation. It's really just a flagging system that identifies posts others feel may jeopardize our standards and the environment we hope to maintain.

Quote:
I understand that LS has rules and the founders want it that way. And I can even see how some rules realy do help out like preventing some idiot from posting 99 FuG You's just to bug people. But complaining because, someone says they hate you, or thinks your opinions aren't worth squat just displays insecurity, defensiveness, and ultimately...weakness.
The overwhelming majority of reported posts we receive are valid concerns. We have not had a problem with people reporting posts because they disagree with the viewpoint expressed. Those instances can probably be counted on one hand and were almost always made by individuals that were otherwise abusive while using the site. This may be a feature that we'll rename in the future as the term "report" has a certain connotation which we're trying to avoid. While the developers of this forum software chose that particular name, we don't feel it accurately reflects how we use it and we have significantly modified the reporting system to address our particular needs.

Reporting posts can't be used to squelch the opinions of others as we manually review each report we receive. Posts are not removed or edited automatically. Rather, they're put in a queue for review by the moderation team.

I hope this helps clarify some misconceptions and allay any concerns over the use of the report post feature as a means of censorship.

Best wishes,
Paul
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 11:28 PM   #20
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Post Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

LoveShack.org is not a state-run organization. We're a private organization founded by individuals with a goal of providing a framework best suited to productive collaboration and self-discovery. Our guidelines are not intended as a means of oppression, but rather to prevent the opinions of a less vocal minority from being repressed and encouraging scholarly debate. While the site is open to anyone who would like to participate, when doing so you're guests in our private home and are subject to the boundaries we set. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. <snip>

While published many years ago, and this thread lying undisturbed at the top of our Questions and Comments forum during those interceding years, I'm brought back to these words from the site owner as one of the guiding principles for moderation. Opinions vary, both on the subject matter on these forums, as well as how the forums are constructed and operated and moderated, but the bottom line is as the site owner so succinctly put, LoveShack is 'our home' and guests enjoy a privilege of visiting here and, while here, abiding by house rules. The vast majority do so without any interaction with the owner and his agents and we appreciate that.

I added this posting to mark the point in time where a change in moderation style has taken place, in that question and comment threads will be left open to topical posting in accordance with our guidelines. Thanks for your participation
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 10:50 AM   #21
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Bumped to re-open thread for topical comments and questions
Old 13th October 2014, 12:42 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Bumped to re-open thread for topical comments and questions
Tough call, William. I get that you feel a responsibility and/or obligation to not just allow some sub-forums to become platforms through which to spread negative stereotypical views and unadulterated hatred against one or another group...yet without coming off as self-righteous, a censorious parent or repressive or oppressive "Big Brother"-type.

Perhaps you'll need to determine, "What would CNN do?" Would they allow this person to keep ranting...er, I mean, keep exercising his right to freedom of speech...or would they shut it down as not contributing anything positive, beneficial, helpful, useful to the greater good of the greater good?

There is an ongoing thread right now, that I wish you would shut down; or to which I wish people would just STOP posting. I have been SO tempted to just hit the 'alert us' on that one. If I was in position to, I would lock it because it just does not seem to be supporting anything positive. But that is also my own bias towards what *I* think and believe is "positive" and "beneficial" to humanity as a whole. And who am I to make such a determination?

What would Jesus do? What would CNN do? What would the average intelligent, reasonable person do? Whatever it is that YOU value and stand for (whatever it is that Loveshack values and wants to stand for), perhaps you ought just be guided by that?

With some power comes great responsibility. I guess.

Last edited by Ronni_W; 13th October 2014 at 12:45 AM..
Ronni_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 2:06 AM   #23
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

I took a quick look at the most controversial topics of the day over at CNN and the result was that I read CNN's perspective on those topics without regard to, or consideration of, the opinions of their readers and they appear to control the content entirely and for commercial profit. I'm sure their staff reads reader's opinions privately but I saw nothing on any of the pages I viewed to indicate there's any discussion, moderated or otherwise, permitted regarding the content of their articles or the biases they present.

OTOH, the site owner of LoveShack provides a venue where a wide range of content and opinions are permitted, as long as they are presented in a tone consistent with our guidelines. If he wants the tone to change, or the content to be more comprehensive or more limited, then he can say the word and we'll do our best to implement his wishes.

Until then, we're tasked with implementing what exists as to his policies, since he's Ted Turner here and we work for him, for free, and do things his way, with the main difference being that we actively solicit reader feedback and discussion and accept a wide range of opinions on topics, as long as they're presented in a manner which complies with our published guidelines, and that analysis always occurs reactively. Members control completely what they choose to publish, whether that be engaging or preaching. With those choices also comes responsibility and consequences. In general, moderation interacts with a very tiny amount of both content and members, compared to the amount of content published and members who post here so the site, largely, is as members publish it. Hence, the site owner's suggestion to report postings which members would like us to look at is encouraged. I'll be happy to each Sunday.
Old 1st January 2016, 11:49 AM   #24
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

Moderation New Year's Bump to update that I've personally been here more often than just on Sundays but still a lot more limited than in the past and that LoveShack.org has gained four new moderators since the last post made here so there are more eyes looking at more threads and more diverse opinions about content moderating any biases moderation has with regards to members or content.

The site owner, Paul, has not tasked us to make any changes so what members read in this thread and in our Guidelines linked at the top of every page is the current perspective of the site on interaction here.
Old 8th August 2017, 7:28 PM   #25
Established Member

What is going on here (at loveshack)?

So .... I'm new here. I joined a couple of days ago because I had a relationship-related experience that I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings about. Rather than internalizing some emotions that could have easily festered, I just wanted to have someone or someones "listen" to me. Did that, felt like I got kind and friendly responses, all to the good.

Meanwhile, being "here", I've read a bunch of the other topics. At the risk of being brutal, I'm seeing some stuff that strikes me as describing self-destructive behaviors which are not getting really strong "don't do that again" feedback. Now, I've participated in enough "social media" to understand that there are unwritten rules: be nice to the other participants, be accepting, don't criticize, don't hurt people's feelings, we're all in this together so act that way. And again, I'm new enough to loveshack to not know to what extent those kind of unwritten rules are in play. (And I may be guilty of throwing rocks from inside my glass house because I don't see ME as being self-destructive at all.) So I'm curious. Is there a strong culture at loveshack of not being bluntly critical? If so, does that do a disservice to some of the participants who are not hearing that it looks to others that they are hurting themselves?
nospam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 7:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam99 View Post
So .... I'm new here. I joined a couple of days ago because I had a relationship-related experience that I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings about. Rather than internalizing some emotions that could have easily festered, I just wanted to have someone or someones "listen" to me. Did that, felt like I got kind and friendly responses, all to the good.

Meanwhile, being "here", I've read a bunch of the other topics. At the risk of being brutal, I'm seeing some stuff that strikes me as describing self-destructive behaviors which are not getting really strong "don't do that again" feedback. Now, I've participated in enough "social media" to understand that there are unwritten rules: be nice to the other participants, be accepting, don't criticize, don't hurt people's feelings, we're all in this together so act that way. And again, I'm new enough to loveshack to not know to what extent those kind of unwritten rules are in play. (And I may be guilty of throwing rocks from inside my glass house because I don't see ME as being self-destructive at all.) So I'm curious. Is there a strong culture at loveshack of not being bluntly critical? If so, does that do a disservice to some of the participants who are not hearing that it looks to others that they are hurting themselves?
Are you looking for more bluntness or less? lol I think everyone is pretty on point here.
Slowlydrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 7:32 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam99 View Post
Is there a strong culture at loveshack of not being bluntly critical? If so, does that do a disservice to some of the participants who are not hearing that it looks to others that they are hurting themselves?
No, there is no strong culture of not being bluntly critical. If a poster sees that a person is behaving in a dysfunctional manner, they will have no hesitation in pointing it out.

Perhaps you haven't read enough threads
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 7:35 PM   #28
Established Member

I can be pretty blunt, and quite critical.....

But I have also had my hands slapped by moderation numerous times for being a bit too direct.

It's a fine line, this is not an anything goes place, and is heavily moderated.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 7:35 PM   #29
Established Member

I've seen people bluntly be told that they're addicted to drama, but that was after endless angsty threads, I guess. But people do try to be nice.
Robratory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 7:41 PM   #30
Established Member

I've been here for a few years and I do think there is a general tendency to be understanding, kind, and helpful. Some people are consistently kind. However, that doesn't mean people won't call you out when necessary. I think most people here are straightforward. They call it as they see it ... in an attempt to be helpful.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote