My girlfriend's birthday is coming up in a couple of days. A few weeks ago she mentioned that she wanted to get one of those foot massage things you put water in so she could soak her feet and float away in blissful comfort. So, I am going to get her one.

I also want to get her a book to go along with it, to sort of complete the package, if you will. But I have no idea what book to get her! I read non-fiction almost exclusively, and the ficition I read isn't really her style.

I am thinking of something well-written but escapist, I think. I am running out of time, and I want everything to be perfect.

Help!

• Author

She just moved and all her books are still packed! She liked "The Knock-out Artist" a lot, but she has read all of that guy's stuff.

In addition to moving the book cases help her unpack, you get to be a good bf AND see her library. ;)

Of course that is after you move the bookcases left 2 inches then right 3 inches, then left 1 inch, before she said it is good. :rolleyes::D

Those foot machines, are great, they also need accessories like salt, cleaners, scrubs, etc... How about a massage book? Something you two can use together?

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up in a couple of days. A few weeks ago she mentioned that she wanted to get one of those foot massage things you put water in so she could soak her feet and float away in blissful comfort. So, I am going to get her one.

um...bad idea MOAI. She is testing you. What she really wants is a romantic gift and not a practical one. Flowers and Godiva chocolates will do just fine.

• Author
um...bad idea MOAI. She is testing you. What she really wants is a romantic gift and not a practical one. Flowers and Godiva chocolates will do just fine.

Ordinarily I would agree 100%, but she mentioned the foot massage thing weeks ago, and not as a gift but as something she really wanted, and was going to get for herself. She just hasn't gotten it yet, and I thought it would be cool to show her that I remembered what she said and that she wanted one. It's all about her alone time, when she can relax and forget everything.

The flowers and chocolates thing lacks a certain creativity, too. She has come to expect a pretty high level of creativity from me in being thoughtful, and I want to keep that going, for sure.

She isn't really a "flowers and chocolates" kind of girl, either. She isn't butch by any means, but she likes heavy music, skulls, etc. You'd never know it to look at her, either--which is awesome. She looks so innocent and "girl-next-door" and then rocks out to the Melvins or Witch. Rules.

I can't get her music because she knows more about than I do. She works in the coolest record store in town.

There is nothing finer than a fellow who pays attention when you idly say you'd like something and who then goes and gets it for you. It means that he cares enough to pay attention and to notice and remember what you like. I say major kudos to Moai for planning this - and the reason he wants to add another gift is so that it won't be a completely practical gift, right, M?

Ordinarily I would agree 100%, but she mentioned the foot massage thing weeks ago, and not as a gift but as something she really wanted, and was going to get for herself.

You can surprise her with that gift at any time except on her b-day.

The flowers and chocolates thing lacks a certain creativity, too. She has come to expect a pretty high level of creativity from me in being thoughtful, and I want to keep that going, for sure.

well why not be a bit unpredictable and be less creative this time? you will NEVER go wrong with flowers and candy. Trust me...:)

She isn't really a "flowers and chocolates" kind of girl, either. She isn't butch by any means, but she likes heavy music, skulls, etc..

this is totally irrelevant in this situation

Flowers and candy for birthdays are tired old cliches. The man has a lady who appreciates creativity. If he had himself a 'traditional' woman who listens to JLo and watches soaps, maybe the flowers and candy thing would work but she's different and he's smart enough to figure that out. Now, if she's a major chocaholic and has flowers all over her house he could maybe add flowers and chocolate, but paying attention to what a woman likes is MUCH sexier than doing a relationship by rote. Maybe she's one of those ladies who'd rather eat a carrot than a KitKat and who is allergic to all blossoms (like my boss).

...How about a gift certificate to her favorite book store?

BORING!!!....and lame. :laugh:

BareGoddess
BORING!!!....and lame. :laugh:

Look, I'm a woman and I'd rather get a gift certificate to a bookstore than flowers and chocolate. To me THAT'S boring and VERY lame!

BareGoddess

No, but he thinks he knows EXACTLY what women want. (I guess that's why he has so many women clamoring for his attention!:laugh:)

No, but he thinks he knows EXACTLY what women want. (I guess that's why he has so many women clamoring for his attention!:laugh:)

for special occasions women prefer romantic gifts and not practical ones....a b-day is considered a special occassion.

I learned this the hard way.

BareGoddess
for special occasions women prefer romantic gifts and not practical ones....a b-day is considered a special occassion.

I learned this the hard way.

That may have applied to ONE woman...or maybe a few but not to ALL. I love getting practical gifts. I once even told H to never buy me flowers again. BIG waste of money as far as I'm concerned!

One event in your life does not make for common experience. What you learned is that with one particular woman, it was a mistake to give a practical gift. Which probably means you didn't know her very well. I know plenty of females who are more than happy to get practical gifts because they won't spend that money on themselves even though they want the things. And I know others who want to believe in Prince Charming and Snow White and want the movie version of 'romance'.

Still others will appreciate whatever you got because they think you're great and appreciate that you at least tried.

Hopefully next time you'll spend time finding out which sort of lady you have before you go gift shopping.

HokeyReligions

How about asking her family or a friend what she likes to read? Maybe a totally pampering gift would include a lumbar pillow, a book light, some oils or salts to put in the foot bath, a special towel, and then the gift certificate wrapped in a note that sez "I agonized over what book to get you and just didn't know! This gift certificate includes a ride to the bookstore, coffee on the patio (or some favorite place to get dessert) and a loving kiss before I leave you alone to enjoy your foot soak" something like that ;)

I love gifts like that - shows creativity and that you listen and want her to be happy even when you didn't know exactly what book to get her.

I also want to get her a book to go along with it, to sort of complete the package, if you will. But I have no idea what book to get her! I read non-fiction almost exclusively, and the ficition I read isn't really her style.

I am thinking of something well-written but escapist, I think. I am running out of time, and I want everything to be perfect.

Help!

I have never tried one of those foot massage things. Let me know how she likes it. Good idea for a gift though. Can't go wrong with something that she asked for.

As far as a book goes, what does she like? Get her something that you know she enjoys reading.

I love getting practical gifts.

well BG...I hope your husband gets you a blender or electric can opener for your next anniversary....you know, something to keep you in the kitchen :lmao:

BareGoddess
well BG...I hope your husband gets you a blender or electric can opener for your next anniversary....you know, something to keep you in the kitchen :lmao:

Actually I REALLY wanted a rotisserie one year for my birthday and he DID get me one. I was thrilled!

Following alpha's and BG; does she like kitchen gadgets?

How about a pannini maker? :laugh: :laugh:

How about a pannini maker? :laugh: :laugh:

or one of those George Foreman grills :lmao:

or one of those George Foreman grills :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I agree with you Alpha but flowers and chocolate are not imaginative enough to get the gift giver a gold star........ so here is what I think...... and I am by far one picky ass gift reciever :lmao:

Get her a camel......... :lmao: :lmao: just kidding.

Get the foot massage thing because she did mention : shows you are paying attention.

With that gift get her a new set of lounge wear.... not lingerie....but lounge wear, google it if you don't know what that is........

Along with that give her the gift cert to the book store with a note that gives her a evening of relaxation.... includes you cooking dinner and letting her sit back in her new clothing, soaking her feet, while you cook dinner.

And on your way to cook this dinner pick up those flowers and chocolates. Prepare a very good and romantic dinner....... or pick up gourmet take out.

If some joker just handed me a foot massage thing... well I would be grateful but certainly not amazed. :lmao: "oh that is nice, thank you" :lmao:

Effort and creativity people....... and planning...