Reading a girl's mind...how do guys 'make the move?'

Throughout my life, I see so many girls that I wish I could talk to...most of the time, when I notice a girl, and she notices me, I really begin to think that I should go say something to her, but am afraid of freaking her out and of being too 'up front'. If I am getting occasional looks from girls, should I take this as that particular girl being somewhat interested in me, and should I make a stab at saying something?

To sum up this thread: A lot of times, I am in a good situation and environment to meet girls, but when the opportunity presents itself (ala decent amount of attention and eye contact from one another), I chicken out for fear of:

1) Scaring them...being too pushy and upfront.

2) Misinterpreting their feelings or thoughts, and making myself look like a desperate guy.

If you all have any suggestions for being able to get past myself when the opporunities present themselves and have the guts to 'pull the trigger', and give advice on how to 'know what she's thinking', I'd be one hampy camper.

Thanks for the help.

Well, you know my brother once explained his approach. It's quite complicated so you'll need to pay attention and maybe take notes....

try everything!

Go for it everytime because if nine turn you down, the tenth will say yes. Of course he was a lot younger, thicker skinned and hornier then. He's matured since. I think.

Still the thought 'nothing ventured' comes to mind. I mean, you don't want to 'scare them off' but when you do nothing they go off and you're left standin' anyway, so how are you better off?

Sure, ' desperate' is a turn off but you sound like an intelligent and insightful guy, so the signs you're picking up are probably more or less accurate. If we're flickin' our hair at you, and picking invisible bits of lint of your jacket lapels, we're doing it for a reason. Women are quite deliberate in that. We pick our prey and send the signals - believe me it's VERY frustrating when the guy doesn't come over and at least check the water.

Go fish!

• Author
Well, you know my brother once explained his approach. It's quite complicated so you'll need to pay attention and maybe take notes....

try everything!

Go for it everytime because if nine turn you down, the tenth will say yes. Of course he was a lot younger, thicker skinned and hornier then. He's matured since. I think.

Still the thought 'nothing ventured' comes to mind. I mean, you don't want to 'scare them off' but when you do nothing they go off and you're left standin' anyway, so how are you better off?

Sure, ' desperate' is a turn off but you sound like an intelligent and insightful guy, so the signs you're picking up are probably more or less accurate. If we're flickin' our hair at you, and picking invisible bits of lint of your jacket lapels, we're doing it for a reason. Women are quite deliberate in that. We pick our prey and send the signals - believe me it's VERY frustrating when the guy doesn't come over and at least check the water.

Go fish!

I feel motivated now...thanks a bunch. Would you deem something as simple as several short, abrupt looks from a girl as "her having interest in you?" It's just...there has to be another way of doing this type of thing properly, other than the

"Hey guys, I'm ______...what's up?"

That just doesn't feel or sound right...I might as well go "I'll pay you to be me friend."

I'm overanalyzing this, aren't I?