I think this is depression

I was talking to my boyfriend over the weekend and he admitted to me that he has not ever been happy. He asked me what makes me happy and I told him that I like to feel wanted and needed. That’s what makes me feel happy. He said that he has not been happy a day in his life. He has felt content, but nothing has really made him happy. He also said that if we ever broke up that he would feel devastated.

I don’t know what to think of this. I don’t feel like I could ever be fulfilled as a person and his girlfriend if I feel like nothing makes him happy. Any comments on the subject.

It certainly sounds like depression bluebubbles. Is he receptive to talking to a therapist or even his general practitioner that diagnose him?

Well how do you feel about this relationship? Do you guys fight at all? Do you feel happy with things, does he treat you well ? Do you feel "wanted and needed" ?

Aw babe, don't start doubting the relationship because of this just yet :( It sounds like depression to me, and if you can convince him to see his doctor about it, he can get on medication to treat it. Depression is a disease like any other. When treated appropriatly, there's a great chance that he will feel better about life and he'll be happy. If you're happy with your current relationship, don't consider leaving him just because of this. Know that he confided A LOT in you when he told you that he's never been happy a day in his life.

• Author

I am so confused. I love him. We have been together for 2 ½ years and we only fought twice. He is a good guy but I don’t understand how a person can feel completely satisfied and fulfilled in a relationship when they have never been happy a day in their life.

It makes me feel like I am not doing the job as a good girlfriend.

He won’t see a doctor or a therapist. He says, “I can deal with it.” My b/f also said during the conversation, “My dad told me that a lot of people don’t find happiness until they are 30 or 40 and sometimes never.” I don’t get that. A lot of things make me happy. The smallest things tickle me.

I just don’t get it.

• Author

As far as the relationship, it is good but I feel the lack of something missing. We are great together. I feel like I am needed and wanted more and more everyday. He treats me pretty good. As time goes by, he learns more and more on how a guy in a real relationship should be.

How did you approach him about seeing a therapyst? What are his parents like? What are yours like ?

• Author

He won’t see a therapist. He said there is nothing wrong with him.

He dad died about 5 years ago and from what I heard his dad was a great guy. His mother is wonderful but every since his dad passed away she hasn’t gotten past it.