Her friend (ex-bf) still calls her "baby"

My girlfriend's best friend is a former boyfriend. They dated off and on between many other relationships over the course of like 10 years, so at this point it’s just like "yo, he's got my back." I'm not around when she hangs out with him, and I have no doubt that the both of them are very respectful of my relationship with her, so frankly I don't feel threatened in any way.

The problem is that last night she relayed a comment of his in which he called her "baby". Apparently this happens often enough, probably whenever natural. She says that it is merely friendly, just like dude or fella. But I'm pretty sure that changes things from platonic to intimate.

So while I don't believe she ever has or ever would cheat on me, it feels like she's letting him live a fantasy of them being together every time he says that word. When I said, "But at some point, that would be pretty inappropriate (like years from now if we ended up married)", she said that it wouldn't ever change and that I was taking it the wrong way.

I maintained the fact that it bothered me and that for that reason alone they should both respect me enough to stop using that word. Eventually she got pissed off and said, "Fine, I promise you that it will never happen again."

Am I out of line in any way here? Can anyone think of any exemplary relationship where something like this would be permissible?

Her best friend is an ex BF? And they dated off and on? And he calls her baby? "We are getting word from the astronauts on the ISS that they see what appears to be a large flashing neon red flag!"

Yes, it should bother you that this is going on. Were they intimate while they dated?

She seems reluctant to place boundaries on what is appropriate with this "friendship". She might be one of those women who likes to keep ex's around to make her feel good about herself. An ego boost from having reminders that this guy still wants her. She seems more reluctant to lose having him call her "baby" and who knows what other terms of affection. She should be more concerned with how you feel. I don't think you are being unreasonable in asking that he stop using pet names or terms of endearment. Alot of guys would be concerned about their girlfriend spending alone time with an ex BF.