Church answer / fail

mortensorchid

I went to a church nearby tonight for a fish fry for Lent. I brought a female friend with me, we went because the food is good and this fish fry actually has decent food. I was thinking about recently Googling / YouTubing that eternal question "Where does one go to meet men"? (Or women depending on your preference.) And one answer is always church.

Really? Church? I had posted on this before, but all the churches around me are populated by old people and kids. This was the case in point tonight - I was there with nothing but old people who were sitting down to eat (as in they all had walkers and canes and grey hair) and kids were serving the food.

I guess others have better experiences than me with this. I think when they make these suggestions they do this because they are trying to say "get out and be in community gathering places". Well, this one isn't happening. I only went for the food anyway. And I did bump into a buddy of mine who is a youth minister there and we said hello but he's married and has a little kid.

LivingWaterPlease

Go to an event at a church that meets in a warehouse or someplace besides a typical church building if you're going for the purpose of meeting men...

Have met plenty of eligible men (divorced or widowed) at my own church (regular looking church building) but couldn't date them as I'd known them with their wives and had friend-zoned them because of that.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

You're going to the wrong kind of church. There are huge "box" churches in every community that are not typical churches with wooden pews. They are contemporary churches with sanctuaries that double as gyms and have worship teams that "rock it out." These are the churches that attract a very diverse group of people.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i always suggest church as a place to meet a guy.....and its not like when i suggest church, i feel its going to happen on the spot.....i say it for the values that i feel single men should have, and the married men should have as examples of good morals and high standards and values they will have........... men who are church goers should have good solid foundations in respecting women and being more about forming a relationship than casual sex.....so yes ...out of care for women and who they are or could possibly be with i suggest church to any singles who ask me....where do i go...especially ones who are after marriage and children....

most churches have single activities and firesides i was a single rep at my church for a little while.......and yep still single.... but what i also suggest church for is ...support for women ...especially my church the sisters also have activities and we support each other....comfort...encouragement...friendship.....because even if a woman gets into a relationship with a man.....a lonely woman would benefit from still having her own friends and peeps to laugh with us women are sisters ...and we need to be there for each other...married or single .....to develop.....good solid friendships sometimes lifelong ones...so suggesting church is also a duality almost in triplicate...knowing god ..celebrating god and jesus...making life long friends,,fellowshipping....volunteering and service work for others....reaching out ..being out in the community and visible ............. having fun and giving our thoughts and love to our creator for all he does for us.....getting personal revelations and feeling inspired for a whole week........aint such a bad thing...in fact...its a really good thing.....and something that can provide you with hectares of hope and faith which goes beyond...and above ...simply meeting a guy and having a relationship...although...smilin.....its wonderful if it happens..liek a slice or preview of heaven...be it the right guy...........deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 2

I'm agnostic, and one of my neighbors is a pastor. He's a friendly guy, and we're keeping an eye on each other's houses. So, I get invited to a lot of his social events.

Those who I meet there are great people, a lot of them families with kids. Which is not surprising, because I would consider them mainly social conservatives. Now, I'm not saying that all fall into that category, but there is certainty a bias.

I'm just a little surprised the OP would look at a church group to find somebody, as I don't remember her as a social conservative based on what she wrote in the forum, so far.

• Like 2

Attending church just to meet men/women is the wrong reason to go. However, church is a great place to meet someone but more than likely that person is going to want your faith to be as strong as theirs. They do not want to be unequally yoked.

• Like 2

I met my wife at church. I was not looking for a girlfriend at the time, it just happened. Many churches have single activities and events where meeting someone is relatively easy, safe and without pressure.

• Like 1
somanymistakes

One's own church is a good place to look for people who share your values.

If you never go to church, though, or you just pick some place at random, then it's probably not going to work as well!

• Like 2
todreaminblue
Attending church just to meet men/women is the wrong reason to go. However, church is a great place to meet someone but more than likely that person is going to want your faith to be as strong as theirs. They do not want to be unequally yoked.

i agree a person who believed in god and jesus wouldnt want to be with someone who didnt believe in god...bit faith is unseen and in the heart of the believer...levels of faith and hope aren't measured by man......they cant be ...only our creator can determine what our hearts and unseen thoughts contain....there are people who go to church to find and have faith....good people....church isnt fro perfect people its for the seekers.......the ones who want to learn of god....and marriage is...of god....so i feel if you want to marry and settle down you go to the place where marriage...is sanctified....and treasured......

people who dont go to church ro go regularly.... still get married in churches....adn there a whole heap of people who have more faith in their little finger sitting at home than in the pews of a packed church........maybe some of those people...just need an invite ....i dont think you can judge faith by how many times a person attends a church..life happens......i would be disappointed if men or women did that...judge and declare a person lacking in faith...how do they know....theres a scripture about that ..the contents of a persons heart and mind and who is to judge.....ill try and find it.........its gods right to judge...or jesus...thats my opinion anyway..my truth......deb

I met a previous boyfriend at church. It didn't last he was a big drinker and used to lose the plot when he drank, pity because other than that he was a really lovely guy.

I agree with going to a modern type church, that's where all the young ones hang out.

CrazyKatLady

My pastor gave me some advice after he saw the last guy I brought to church with me last year. He told me I should find a man who loves God more than the man loves me. I agreed with his wisdom.

• Like 2