Would you cosign a loan for someone you have dated 6 months?

So my GF is attending Nurse Practitioner school, and apparently it's hard for her to qualify for certain loans because she is not a U.S. citizen and her residency is pending. Her credit supposedly isn't bad. She just bought a house in June, but because of her status, she needs a cosigner for certain student loans. We've dated 6 months and are somewhat serious. What would you do?

littleblackheart

What does 'somewhat serious' mean?

I wouldn't do it so early in a relationship; are you her only option? Can you afford to pay off the loan should it come to it?

• Like 1

The house wasn't a problem but student loans are? Hmm...

Since there is no assignable collateral, nah, pass. Now if she wanted to cross-collateralize the house ;)

• Like 3

Not in a million years. If you truly have enough money to gift her the entire amount she needs & you can live your life without blinking if you never got one cent back, go ahead. Otherwise, keep finances separate from romance. While she might not qualify for that particular loan, if she was able to get a mortgage she must be credit worthy. Her problem is that she may not be able to support a loan for school and the mortgage. Suggest she get a paying roommate in the house & list that person as a source of income. That ought to improve her credit worthiness for some lender even if not the preferred student loan she wants which is tied to citizenship.

• Like 2

No, I mean, I don't know where to start, just no. If she was your wife and the mother of your children and your finances are merged, anyhow. Until then... NO!

• Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic

I did it. Actually I took it out entirely in my name, and we are no longer together. There's still quite a bit of money he owes me, and it hasn't been a problem at all. He pays me every month.

Overall, it's probably not a good idea, though. I just knew without any doubt that he was an honorable person, regardless of whether we lived happily ever after or not. His ex-wife had just destroyed his credit, and I have near perfect credit, so I helped him out.

OP, what does this mean?

"her residency is pending"

She's not a citizen and her residency is pending. To me that means there's a visa involved or she's a member of a specific class like the 'Dreamers'. Does she have a work/student visa or green card?

Are you living with her in the house she bought?

• Like 1
  • Author
OP, what does this mean?

"her residency is pending"

She's not a citizen and her residency is pending. To me that means there's a visa involved or she's a member of a specific class like the 'Dreamers'. Does she have a work/student visa or green card?

Are you living with her in the house she bought?

So basically, she's been approved for her green card, but she hasn't gotten the actual documents yet. She is here legally in the U.S. on a work permit. She's been here in the U.S. for about 15 years.

I don't live with her. She has her place and I have mine. I've never gotten the "mooch" vibe from this woman. In fact, when we go out, she insists on paying alot of the time. She's also employed as an RN.

CautiouslyOptimistic
So basically, she's been approved for her green card, but she hasn't gotten the actual documents yet. She is here legally in the U.S. on a work permit. She's been here in the U.S. for about 15 years.

I don't live with her. She has her place and I have mine. I've never gotten the "mooch" vibe from this woman. In fact, when we go out, she insists on paying alot of the time. She's also employed as an RN.

If you do it, make sure you draw up a document that you both sign. You can find templates on the Web. That's what we did.

*To qualify for federal student aid, certain eligible noncitizens must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that they are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibility/non-us-citizens

Her long residency, ties to the community through home ownership and pending permanent resident application should be sufficient. Maybe find a facilitator to assist? Given her focus on health care, her prospective school and/or employer could also be of assistance as health care workers are in great demand.

I'll align with the others in the thread on 'no' but that wouldn't preclude offering assistance in finding third party lending solutions.

• Like 6

Absolutely not.

If she can buy a house then she doesn't need student loans.

Also this relationship is like a roller-coaster, she doesn't always treat you with respect. Do not co-sign anything.

• Like 3
So my GF is attending Nurse Practitioner school, and apparently it's hard for her to qualify for certain loans because she is not a U.S. citizen and her residency is pending. Her credit supposedly isn't bad. She just bought a house in June, but because of her status, she needs a cosigner for certain student loans. We've dated 6 months and are somewhat serious. What would you do?

Hell no! Wayyy to early to trust her.

Every time I 'borrowed' money to a bf, this was the last time to see the money :D So... never again, unless we have established relationship of year(s).

Haven't you ever seen Judge Judy?

If you need to cosign then a lender wouldn't give her a loan on her own. If she has bad credit, then her history tells you that it's likely she will fail to repay it. So why would YOU agree to cover her if she fails to pay, and put your own credit on the line?

• Like 1

You need a good credit to buy a house AND you need a cash down.

How can she have a good credit enough to buy a house but not good enough to get a student loan.

How could she get credit AT ALL for a house while not an American citizen??

Also why is she looking to take a student loan if she had enough cash to put on a house?

Her story doesn't hold together.

• Like 2
You need a good credit to buy a house AND you need a cash down.

How can she have a good credit enough to buy a house but not good enough to get a student loan.

How could she get credit AT ALL for a house while not an American citizen??

Also why is she looking to take a student loan if she had enough cash to put on a house?

Her story doesn't hold together.

She can get a student loan. She just can't get the particular student loan she wants because that requires citizenship she doesn't have. It's not about her creditworthiness but her immigration status.

• Like 1
She can get a student loan. She just can't get the particular student loan she wants because that requires citizenship she doesn't have. It's not about her creditworthiness but her immigration status.

You mean you can get a mortgage from an American Bank if you are not a permanent citizen or a citizen? What is the percentage of cash you need to put down on a house there to be approved for a mortgage?

Here it's 20%. If I want a mortgage to buy a house of 300K, I then need 60K cash, not borrowed. If I am a student why wouldn't I use that cash to live instead?