New Zealand Prime Minister announces pregnancy

Every so often, I hear people prioritising their professional lives over their personal ones and even I struggle with managing my time. But if a person can run a country and also have their first child then there’s really no excuse for putting off the things that are important to us. Quite inspiring.

• Like 2

As much as I am a supporter of gender equality, I am really not a fan of what Ardern did. She teamed up with the far-right leader, made him her deputy KNOWING she was pregnant, and now is going to take 6 weeks of maternity leave and put the country in his hands for that period of time. IMO that's not "inspiring", that's irresponsible. By all means be the Prime Minister and be pregnant, but don't expect to take the full 6 weeks of maternity leave if you do. And if you absolutely must do so, don't make a lunatic your deputy. (Granted there isn't much damage anyone can do as acting PM in 6 weeks, but the principle of the whole thing is appalling).

But of course, Winston was the kingmaker in the election, so if she didn't agree to it, he would've gone with National. Very selfish decision on her part though IMO.

• Author

Hi Elswyth,

I don’t have the slightest idea of New Zealand politics and the first I heard of her was from a few hours ago. What I found inspiring was that she didn’t let her job come in the way of her personal life, even if that job is to run a country for the next 4-5 years. I think that’s admirable regardless of her political leanings.

Hi Elswyth,

I don’t have the slightest idea of New Zealand politics and the first I heard of her was from a few hours ago. What I found inspiring was that she didn’t let her job come in the way of her personal life, even if that job is to run a country for the next 4-5 years. I think that’s admirable regardless of her political leanings.

Indeed she did not let her job interfere with her personal life. Unfortunately the reverse cannot be said.

Brief history of the politics: Jacinda Ardern is in the Labor (left wing) party. They are one of the two main parties in New Zealand, with the other being National (centre right). Winston Peters, whom she appointed deputy, is the leader of a small far right party and an extreme bigot (think Nigel Farage). In the last election, there was a hung parliament with National winning more votes but unable to form parliament without the support of Winston Peters. He cut a deal with Jacinda instead - she made him deputy in exchange for his support.

She says she had known she was pregnant before Winston made his choice. Which means she knowingly appointed someone who goes against everything her party stands for (and frankly everything most New Zealanders stand for), intending to give him control of the country for 6 weeks, all so she could have her cake and eat it too.

She is no example to aspire to IMO. I would be disgusted with myself if I did such a thing.

• Like 1