Do men like compliments on their appearance?

Cookiesandough

Do men like being complimented on their appearance, especially from a woman they have started dating? I don’t know. I seem to be getting the impression that it makes them feel uncomfortable and they just tolerate it. I like to comment on a man’s appearance if it is appealing to me. I’m not saying “hnnngh dat azz” as he walks away from our table on our first date or anything. Just after we’ve been on a date or two and he looks nice I might be inclined to extend a compliment on his form or the way he’s dressed. Or if he sends me a selfie I’ll say “That face”

Do men really not like physical compliments? It’s emasculating? They’d rather be complimented on their bowhunting or computer hacking skills?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Edit title, remove reference and clean up some extraneous characters

IME, unexpected compliments were always welcomed. The only time I felt differently was when it was part of what I sensed as 'buttering up' for wanting something. This was most common with MW's. However, in practice, most of such compliments have come from friend's wives, generally because they usually see me covered in sawdust or sweating or with grease on me. When I dress up for social occasions, it's a reaction to 'different'.

So, on the off-chance I get such a compliment, even if welcomed, from someone I don't know well and know the dynamic, my first thought is..... ruh roh, she's married :D

• Like 2
Do men like being complimented on their appearance, especially from a woman they have started dating? I don’t know. I seem to be getting the impression that it makes them feel uncomfortable and they just tolerate it. I like to comment on a man’s appearance if it is appealing to me. I’m not saying “hnnngh dat azz” as he walks away from our table on our first date or anything.

This may be another question where the answer depends on the age of the man. IIRC, Cookies, you are most likely dating 20 and 30 somethings. As a 'considerably more mature gentleman', I am flattered and appreciative when a date compliments my looks and fumble about for a way to reciprocate since I usually haven't been tacky enough to have already told her what a hottie I think she is (I've been conditioned to act like guys are 'supposed' to value women for their minds instead of their bodies :laugh:).

• Like 2

Hell yeah. It's not only just nice but it really helps me feel she's into me , like ya gotta feel that stuff you know.

But sometimes l do get a bit embarrassed .

• Like 1

My response is, generally "Thank you. I really appreciate that"

My funniest recollection was being approached at the gas station and hearing "I really have to compliment you" then she walks around me and.... 'on this beautiful (one of my vintage cars)'. Heh.

Still, IMO nice to be noticed. I guess folks who are noticed all the time may have a different perspective on that. I got a taste of it in the car/racing culture where strangers who knew me but I was clueless as to who they were would approach me. Funniest comment I remember: You looked a lot younger with your hat on :D

That's life!

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
My response is, generally "Thank you. I really appreciate that"

My funniest recollection was being approached at the gas station and hearing "I really have to compliment you" then she walks around me and.... 'on this beautiful (one of my vintage cars)'. Heh.

Still, IMO nice to be noticed. I guess folks who are noticed all the time may have a different perspective on that. I got a taste of it in the car/racing culture where strangers who knew me but I was clueless as to who they were would approach me. Funniest comment I remember: You looked a lot younger with your hat on :D

That's life!

Hahaha! I saw Hugh Grant being interviewed the other day and he said someone once came up to him on the street and said, "No offense, but you look a lot like Hugh Grant." :lmao:

• Like 1

As a general rule, yes. Especially if it's a particularly masculine feature (muscles, beards, etc.), or about what they're wearing. I certainly appreciate compliments, although to a certain extent...

Unequivocally yes. It doesn't happen often enough for the novelty to wear off.

...I actually differ on this. When it's a less masculine feature (usually my a$$ or my eyelashes according to my GF) I'm not sure what to think! OTOH I get a lot of compliments from elsewhere about my beard though, to the point where friends of friends will start grabbing it after a few drinks...

• Like 2

This is a good question. When I've complimented men on their appearance, it's hard to tell if they like it or not. They definitely seem uncomfortable. I can't help it sometimes though. A wise old male friend I had once told me that men want compliments like "You're so manly" or something like that. I think they like that kind of stuff more than compliments about their looks.

• Like 1

I'm a 45 year old male.

confident, date, perceptive, intelligent, introverted, and social.

I always say thank you, but I don't like it

• Like 1

Woman: You look good!

Me: I know, I know ....

Woman: *rolls eyes*

:D

Seriously, if you’re dating or in a relationship, compliment your man. Everybody likes being complimented.

• Like 2
This is a good question. When I've complimented men on their appearance, it's hard to tell if they like it or not. They definitely seem uncomfortable. I can't help it sometimes though. A wise old male friend I had once told me that men want compliments like "You're so manly" or something like that. I think they like that kind of stuff more than compliments about their looks.

I think it happens so infrequently to average guys they are not sure how to take it.

Women are used to getting compliments on their looks (and the appreciation varies depending on how attractive they find the guy).

Most men realize they will never have beauty/looks in the way a woman does so they often don't focus on them (look at the way most guys dress).

For me, I've got more compliments on my sexual performance than my looks. I appreciate both though :laugh:

• Like 1

Absolutely. I was watching Tom Ford makeover some dude on YouTube and he is such an astute observer and he said the most insightful thing ever which is men in today’s society rarely get the attention that they paid the guys during the makeover and women are very used to having men say “Wow, you look so beautiful.” So if you’re a woman reading this; say something nice about the guy in your life *wink*

todreaminblue

i dont think theres ever been a guy when i have said have you been working out who hasn't appreciated that.....normally if i know them well enough ill tell them they look good.....i think its harder to throw out compliments to married men...but ill compliment them on their actions ....their thoughts their help....their patience..married men have their wives to make them feel good which im glad.........everyone should feel appreciated ...men just as much.....married or unmarried.....deb

• Like 1

In my experience, yes. Doesn't everyone?

I don't do it very often though. Apparently I'm a very flirty individual (even though that's not what I intend) so I try to be careful about giving off the wrong impression to people and like I'm hitting on them. I also don't want it to get awkward if they aren't sure how to respond. It's much easier at more formal events when guys are in suits. I usually throw a few compliments around then!

My ex also mentioned to me he liked compliments. I was concerned about it being a more feminine thing to receive. I thought he looked good, but didn't necessarily say it. Once I knew he liked it, I said it more and it was the truth. No worries about sending the wrong impression there!!

• Like 1

I enjoy compliments like anyone, as long as they don't dwell on it after the initial compliment. I worked with a guy who like three different times made comments about my upper arm size in front of others and while it's certainly flattering to get noticed, it gets redundant and then you feel stupid. If a women compliments me, I'm flattered by it, but again, I don't want to sit and talk about it. I just smile and say thanks. :)

• Like 1