Would it be offensive to send someone who is Jewish a card with some X'mas theme?

The holiday cards I've ordered have some X'mas theme, even though I have carefully chosen "happy holidays" as the greetings. I have a number of Jewish friends, some practicing while others are more secular. Would it be offensive if they receive such a holiday card? If yes, it's not to late to choose a different card for them.

I doubt many people would be offended at a card sent with goodwill...

...but having said that, while I wouldn't remotely be offended I'd think it pretty odd if somebody of a faith I do not share sent me a card related to one of their holidays. I'm atheist and if a Muslim friend send me a happy Ramadan card I'd accept graciously, but wonder what led them to send it.

I'd ask them if they're happy to be on your xmas card list and listen to their response. As so few people send proper physical cards these days I suspect it'll be something of a surprise, Jewish or not! I wouldn't like to presume how somebody will feel about a card related to a faith other than theirs without asking but I doubt it'll be a huge deal if you just go ahead and send a card.

• Like 1
PhillyLibertyBelle

Can you elaborate on “Xmas theme”?

I think if it doesn’t say anything overtly religious it’s fine.

Personally I get all kinds of holiday cards and I’m just pleased my friends and loved ones think enough of me to send me a card.

• Like 2
  • Author
Can you elaborate on “Xmas theme”?

I think if it doesn’t say anything overtly religious it’s fine.

Personally I get all kinds of holiday cards and I’m just pleased my friends and loved ones think enough of me to send me a card.

It's not religious at all. But there is a "Merry X'mas" in small fonts with some X'mas tree shapes inside the card. But the main greetings on the cover were "Happy Holidays".

• Author

Thanks for your response. I am not religious at all, but do celebrate the holiday season in a secular manner. Just curious: would you feel odd if someone sends you a X'mas card with a Christian theme?

I doubt many people would be offended at a card sent with goodwill...

...but having said that, while I wouldn't remotely be offended I'd think it pretty odd if somebody of a faith I do not share sent me a card related to one of their holidays. I'm atheist and if a Muslim friend send me a happy Ramadan card I'd accept graciously, but wonder what led them to send it.

I'd ask them if they're happy to be on your xmas card list and listen to their response. As so few people send proper physical cards these days I suspect it'll be something of a surprise, Jewish or not! I wouldn't like to presume how somebody will feel about a card related to a faith other than theirs without asking but I doubt it'll be a huge deal if you just go ahead and send a card.

CautiouslyOptimistic

I only have a few Jewish friends, and I know they would not be offended by it, but I can't speak for yours. I'm always sure to wish them "Happy Hanukkah" or whatever the case may be, also. I think it's mostly about the sentiment, and the card does say "Happy Holidays."

• Like 1