How do you deal with a partners mood swings?

So today my GF called me about 5 times from work until she got home. Each call alternated from sweet and loving to cold, smart a--, short rude comments. When she gets like this I try not to feed in to it, because in past relationships it would just lead to huge blowouts over stupid things. Shes on her period and was having stomach pains. I'm a bit oversensitive at times, so I was just curious as to how those of you deal with moody SO's? Ignore them? Hang up?

The thing you're describing isn't mood swings. You haven't given any context, so I'm only guessing here, but they sound like the actions of someone who doesn't know how to deal with the current situation and is oscillating back and forth trying to work out the right approach.

Why was she calling and what was she saying?

• Like 1
todreaminblue

it depends on the mood swing.......if nastiness or rudeness is the issue then say so...discuss issues when both of you are calm...as far as rudeness and nastiness goes....even saints have limits..theres only so many insults or put downs a person can take before the need to walk away...my best defense for rudeness and nastiness is to walk away.or to stand still in silent protest

..make myself and my heart inaccessible....harden a few walls and involve myself with people and activities who arent rude or nasty to me.....people and activities that bring me joy...retaliation to m e....makes me feel worse.can actually spiral me into depression..i suggest non communication when a person decides to be nasty or rude not ignorance....just dont respond to negativity.....it doesnt do you any good at all ....my grandpa told me that silent protests throughout history achieve the greater good....a silent protest is not ignorance...its strength in silence..i suggest you try it.

alternating between phone calls sounds more like a personality disorder and when women have periods......throw chocolate as a distraction and leave them to eat it as you run away.......deb

Edited by todreaminblue

I'd tell her that you aren't going to put up with her temper tantrum and to call you back once she's calmed down.

If she can't do that because she'll just become more infuriated by you setting boundaries then get rid of her.

No sex is worth crazy.