Bread Crumbs & Roller Coasters

There's an individual that I see at a public place that we both frequent. Several months after I started going to this place I ran into a mutual acquaintance and we had one of those catch up conversations. When this individual noticed, he immediately came over and introduced himself. We shook hands and he held my hand to his chest and continued talking. Now it was a 3-way conversation with me standing there while this guy held my hand to his chest. I wasn't quite sure what to do with this. Eventually, the conversation took a rather opinionated turn where we were on opposing side of the issue and he eventually let my hand go and exited. Over the next several months he begin initiating conversation. Here is where I probably flunk indirect communication. I interpreted it as him just "being nice." I've been told that somewhere in here I missed some sort of hint of dating but I figure if a guy wants to ask you out he will. My friends tell me that I'm wrong--he tossed out a bread crumb and I was supposed to pick it up.

He eventually started ignoring me and I got the impression that he was pretty frosty. Several weeks would go by and he would initiate conversation again; only to turn frosty and ignore my attempts at conversation. Finally, I said enough already, either you are talking to me or not--pick one! He picked not talking to me. Ok. So we went months of ignoring one another. Then one day out of the blue, he decides to say hello. What sort of game is this?

A new guy who holds my hand to his chest while talking is just weird. That's a No from the start. Follow with all the drama, and it would be a NO NO NO

Are you actually interested in dating him?

• Author
A new guy who holds my hand to his chest while talking is just weird. That's a No from the start. Follow with all the drama, and it would be a NO NO NO

Are you actually interested in dating him?

NO. On some levels, now that I know some things about him, he could be interesting and we have things in common. Other than that-too many red flags. I thought I'd toss it out to the forum because I've been told that I was misreading it. I thought the hand holding was weird too. One, he never felt the need to introduce him self to me until I started talking to someone else. Two, after I thought about it, it seemed mine/possessive which is even more weird for someone you have NEVER had a conversation with; let alone anything else. And then there is the roller coaster silent treatment drama thing. Definitely a no, no. So my friends have said I'm misjudging him. Maybe this. Maybe that.