LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

Straight male catching feelings for lesbian housemate?


General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2017, 10:37 AM   #1
New Member
 
RafikiDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Question Straight male catching feelings for lesbian housemate?

Title sounded a bit like a bad porno but this is a lot deeper than that so please stick with me:

I'm Dash, I'm 26, I'm half Canadian, half British but my family moved from Canada to Australia when I was 13 so I spent all my teen years there.
I then did quite a bit of travelling before settling down with a "proper job" in Southern England.

Dating has never been a problem for me in the sense that I've always done well with the ladies, they've always considered me good looking and i guess that maybe my only problem is that i haven't always dealt with female attention very well.... I'm not a bad guy but I didn't know how to deal with it at 16, hell, i didn't know how at 24! So i guess you could say that I've maybe been a bit of a womaniser in the past, definitely not good 'relationship material'.

My longest relationship was for a year when i was 21, i told her i loved her, but i don't think i did, i just felt like i should say it. People always say that you'll 'just know' if you love someone but i don't feel like I've ever felt that!

I had a son two years ago, and he is without a doubt the love of my life!! To be his dad is the most amazing thing I've ever got to be! He is why I've settled where i did because i have total 50% custody and while hes so young its just easier to be near where his mum lives.

So I bought a barn conversion that needed a bit of work because i wanted to put some money in bricks and water for my son, but in order to afford to do that I have to have a house mate on a rent a room type bases. Anyway about 4 months ago my old housemate moved out and i needed a new one, this girl i worked with was looking for a place to live and was super keen.

We'd worked together for about 6 months and we got on well, maybe even better than 'well', but like, we only spoke in passing or a team events, never any more than that, we didn't even really hang out with the same people, but she seemed like a solid girl so we went for it.

Now she's 23 (24 in Jan) and here's the kicker - she's gay!! Came out as gay at about 19, and when she moved in with me she had a gf who she'd been seeing for about 6 months.
We used to joke (ironically now) that we were the perfect roommates because we could go out and get smashed and there was like no chance of us ending up in bed together!

Anyway we've been living together about 4 months ago and everythings changed!
I never dreamed we'd get on this well! I never dreamed the gal would become like my best friend! Her sense of humour is so right up my street, she has me in stitches! She split up with her ex gf a month after she moved in and I got a new job a couple of months ago but we spend so much of our free time together now its insane, she's my gym buddy, and she helped me decorate my sons bedroom, I taught her to kitesurf, and she even convinced me to go dancing with her at her favourite gay bar a few times I even went on holiday with her last month to her families holiday home in Portugal with my little boy and her sister & sisters fiance, which was all her idea

I don't know when exactly i started to feel something more than, what i feel for my other friends, than what i feel for anyone else, i just know that i do!
She's not my type, not at all, there girls I've really fancied have always been the same kinda gal tall, blonde, dark eyes, size 0, very feminine! Where she's like the opposite 5"3, chocolate colour hair, blue eyes, not overweight at all but average build, super sporty, a strange kind of fashion sense, very down to earth, a bit of a petrolhead. Just not what i would go for at all but.. i fancyyyy her! Like I do! Objectively she probably would catch your gaze as the most attractive girl in the room but she's got the hands down most beautiful smile I've ever seen, big but without being cheesy or goofy, and great teeth.

For a while i just ignored the whole thing because, well because we're 'just friends' and because shes gay!! But you cant lie to yourself can you, i don't know quite what i feel but i know I've never felt like it before...... I'm turning down hot dates because i'm going to go to the supermarket with this girl (i've kind of lost interest in other girls), i'm mad excited to see her name flash up on my phone, and when i see like a weird like green pigeon on my way home shes the person that i cant wait to tell! I feel like weirdly protective as well, she was on crutches the other week for an ankle injury and she told me off for fussing to much, which is like, so not me!

I guess the logical thing to do would be to chalk it up to something that just can't happen except I'm no stranger to being around women and to reading signals and I swear she's throwing signals that weren't there before!
I'm quite a flirty guy, with everyone really, i just find it fun, and she used to just roll her eyes but if i jokey-flirt, or throw like an unexpected super serious compliment, she'll obviously blush! Which in normal circumstances would be like a green light for me
Particularly recently theres been a few 'moments', you know when you just look at someone and you have like a spark, a moment, and any other girl I'd of leaned in and kissed!
But i've held back because..... she's my housemate, she's my best friend, and she's gay!
I'm just really confused by all this
RafikiDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,040
Has she ever been with a guy before?
Shepp likes this.
__________________
“Never trust a woman you are lying to."
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Cookiesandough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 4,193
Lesbian means not into dudes. Sorry dude
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 1:27 PM   #4
New Member
 
RafikiDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Has she ever been with a guy before?
Dunno man, I know she came out at about 19, so fairlyyy young, I've never asked her about before that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
Lesbian means not into dudes. Sorry dude
Yeah i know that, but if people can come out as gay at any point in there lives then can it not go the other way too?
It sounds mad doesn't it, it sounds a bit mad to me too, I can't even sort out what it is i feel in my own head but I for sure pick up vibes from her I never did before!
RafikiDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 2:35 PM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafikiDash View Post
Yeah i know that, but if people can come out as gay at any point in there lives then can it not go the other way too?
Likely she wasn't straight, then "turned" gay as you seem to think -- she was always gay, realized it at some point, and just let it be known. The concept of "going back the other way" is not something I would hold your breath over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafikiDash View Post
It sounds mad doesn't it, it sounds a bit mad to me too, I can't even sort out what it is i feel in my own head but I for sure pick up vibes from her I never did before!
But her sexual orientation doesn't hinge on your attraction to her or what you feel. It's independent. You almost sound like you're about to say "I really like her, so maybe she'll be straight for me?" It's just illogical. I know the feeling, I've been attracted to a lesbian before. But you've got to think about things rationally. Think about this: if there was a gay guy who was really attracted to you and you got along great with, would you come out as gay based on that alone? Doubtful. Best of luck, but I'd say take a step back.
normal person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 3:30 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,254
You can't control finding her attractive, just like she can't control being gay. There's nothing horrible or crazy about finding a great girl attractive. But no....if she is gay, she is gay. Elaine tried this on Seinfeld and even she couldn't get him to change teams
Shepp likes this.
knabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 4:48 PM   #7
New Member
 
RafikiDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by normal person View Post
But her sexual orientation doesn't hinge on your attraction to her or what you feel. It's independent. You almost sound like you're about to say "I really like her, so maybe she'll be straight for me?" It's just illogical. I know the feeling, I've been attracted to a lesbian before. But you've got to think about things rationally. Think about this: if there was a gay guy who was really attracted to you and you got along great with, would you come out as gay based on that alone? Doubtful. Best of luck, but I'd say take a step back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knabe View Post
You can't control finding her attractive, just like she can't control being gay. There's nothging horrible or crazy about finding a great girl attractive. But no....if she is gay, she is gay. Elaine tried this on Seinfeld and even she couldn't get him to change teams
Yeah i get that, like if she's gay she's gay. A guy could be Brad Pitt and i still wouldn't fancy him because its not my sexual orientation, i get that, i do.

BUT the relationship we had 2 months ago to the one we have now has changed a lot, (i mean its probably one of the deepest relationships I've ever had, weirdly!) but the way she is with me has changed, i get signals off her... lots of eye contact, more touchy, actively invites me into her personal space, more flirty tone of voice, good body language... all those signs i'd usually take as a green light, plus the fact that she texts me all the time (despite the fact we live together), plans stuff for us to do together next month, or next summer, and is doing what im doing in the sense she is spending much less time with her friends (particularly the sort of LGBT friends shes got) in preference of doing more mundane things with me, like putting up flat pack furniture.
I feel like thats got to mean something but then i dont want to be a complete idiot if it, doesnt.
RafikiDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 6:03 PM   #8
Established Member
 
Shepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: England
Posts: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafikiDash View Post
Particularly recently theres been a few 'moments', you know when you just look at someone and you have like a spark, a moment, and any other girl I'd of leaned in and kissed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafikiDash View Post
but the way she is with me has changed, i get signals off her... lots of eye contact, more touchy, actively invites me into her personal space, more flirty tone of voice, good body language... all those signs i'd usually take as a green light, plus the fact that she texts me all the time (despite the fact we live together), plans stuff for us to do together next month, or next summer, and is doing what im doing in the sense she is spending much less time with her friends (particularly the sort of LGBT friends shes got) in preference of doing more mundane things with me, like putting up flat pack furniture.
I feel like thats got to mean something but then i dont want to be a complete idiot if it, doesnt.
If it's like you say she's got to be noticing these moments and changes too, she's gay not blind after all - so she's either liking you or the attention.

Though I guess you've got to think of your confused and she has even slightly similar feelings then she must be 100x as confused!

Can't you just casually ask her a leading question along the lines of 'has she ever considered dating a guy yada yada'? What she says might give you a strong lead one way or the other.
__________________
I've fallen in love many times.... always with you!
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 6:17 PM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafikiDash View Post
I feel like thats got to mean something but then i dont want to be a complete idiot if it, doesnt.
Well if you don't think the advice here is based on an accurate assessment of the situation, and you're convinced that she's into you, eventually you're just going to have to find out for yourself. You might as well just ask her what's going on. If you're right, you're right. If you're wrong, she'll probably just laugh it off if she's as good of a friend as you say.
normal person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 2:20 AM   #10
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 57,523
Quote:
She's not my type, not at all,
And you're not her type either, not at all!

Look, she's a close friend and you've become emotionally attached to her. And you care about her. Keep your heart guarded and look at her as a friend/like a sister. Kill the 'lovey dovey crush feelings' you have for her because she isn't into you that way. she's gay. It won't work so don't let your mind travel there and convince you otherwise.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 4:16 AM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 71
Sounds kinda sucky, but unfortunately it ain't gonna happen, she's not into dudes. Twisted logic - could you be with someone who isn't into you?

The signals sound like friend flirting which is a little weird but it happens... it just gets really hard to untangle when one friend feels a little more than the other.
snowboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 5:19 AM   #12
Established Member
 
Woggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Santa Monica California
Posts: 28,171
Let it be. She isn't into guys and never will be. Be happy to have a good friend in your life.
knabe likes this.
__________________
You know people have completely lost it when you can no longer tell the difference between real headlines and Onion headlines.
Woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 6:42 AM   #13
Established Member
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,040
I have found that some gay women are actually be bi. It's not our of bounds of possibility.

Ask her a bit more about her life. You say you are close, ask her if she only dated women and how/when did she know she was gay. If she has any interest in you at all, you will know then and without losing face if she isn't interested.
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 6:52 AM   #14
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 778
I think she digs you.
grays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 3:34 PM   #15
New Member
 
RafikiDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwayisup View Post
And you're not her type either, not at all!
Hahahaha Yeah, fair fair!

Quote:
Look, she's a close friend and you've become emotionally attached to her. And you care about her. Keep your heart guarded and look at her as a friend/like a sister.
Yeah and even if that is all it is then im still bloody glad we met and got the oppertunity to get as close as we have because what we've got is pretty special, at least to me, its pretty special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboy91 View Post
Twisted logic - could you be with someone who isn't into you?
Nah nah obviously not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woggle View Post
Let it be. She isn't into guys and never will be.
Do you think?
It's not that im saying 'she might turn straight for me' or anything, im not. Im just thinking that people have revelations about there sexuality at all different ages and life stages (don't they?). She's 23 not 43, is it totally ludicrous of me to think that maybe she might just meet the right guy (not that im saying that is what I am) discover that she might have feel differently to what she expected, be that bi or whatever.
Like im not saying that that IS the case!!! Im just saying...
RafikiDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lesbian dating a straight girl RIley131 Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy 10 10th April 2016 6:08 AM
Advice to lesbian from straight women. Velvetvenus Friends and Lovers 8 6th April 2008 7:52 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:47 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.