How has Facebook/social media affected your relationship?

Has it negatively impacted current or past relationships you have been in? I saw a survey by divorce lawyers that claimed that 1/3 of divorces they have handled have a social media component that ruined the marriage. Thoughts? Opinions?

• Like 1
Adding a bunch of females.

For what ?.

I understand this point. Now, it's even worse when the man start liking bikinis pics of other women friends. Hell, men can also be jealous, so vice versa.

I cannot speak for my current relationship, but 7 years ago during a LTR, I was indeed getting more annoyed by her status updates, by the fact she was openly flirting with some of my friends (I'm not paranoid, she ended up dumping me for a friend) etc.

Facebook is a tool/mirror regarding the personality of someone, unless your FB profile is empty and you choose not to participate in the discussions and gossips.

In conclusion, you cannot blame FB but your partner, or yourself or both if things went wrong.

However I also miss the times when we were less ''connected''. Even if you don't have a Fb account, you own a smartphone like everyone and an email adress..

Has it negatively impacted current or past relationships you have been in? I saw a survey by divorce lawyers that claimed that 1/3 of divorces they have handled have a social media component that ruined the marriage. Thoughts? Opinions?

It is a very interesting question.

Yes I heard of the statistics.

Social media have often helped me discover I was dating the wrong person. Luckily early enough in the relationship.

My current boyfriend is not on any social media so it's not affecting our relationship and I am super glad of it. I am only on FB and probably blood related to my 72 friends so it's not a matter to worry.

I think someone with integrity handles himself with respect in real life AND on social media. If he's a pig on social media he's probably one at work and around him. It's a good indicator of who a person is deep down.

• Like 1

Yeah but the thing is, there are billions of adults out there 30s 40s even 60s , that do act 13 with all that stuff.

It's ruining kids , they're more stressed and under pressure than ever, in history, fact. Matter of fact my own daughter only a few wks ago told me she wishes it was never invented. The fuss and crap on things like FB for kids even causes suicides.

And it's ruined god knows how many marriages too and has made even my life hell and l'm not even on it. Don't ask how because l don't wanna go there.

But in the divorce forum l was in for two yrs during my own , you wouldn't believe how many marriages and families had been destroyed by FB and the like and how many were still suffering ongoing,years after the fact, due to the exposure and crap all over it for all to see later, for yrs.

Hate it all with a passion.

Edited by Chilli
  • Like 1
Cookiesandough

I deleted my Facebook a year ago. One of the better decisions in my life. I have Instagram, however, but I'm thinking of getting rid of that. I don't get much out of it.

Social media is probably implicated in divorces so much because it is so much part of most people's lives and now. If you're ratchet in real life, you'll probably be no different or worse on the internet. It's all documented so it's easier to see.

Edited by Cookiesandough