8 to 10...what does the reply mean though?

Springsummer

so I watched the video a guy mentioned in his profile. It's about the crazy vs hot matrix of women.

the guy seems indeed a 9.5 in both look and brain on paper. I usually hide all my pics, having disappointed with OLD. so I unhide my pics and sent a msg. and got a reply(surprise!). I am wondering what the reply imply though. Is that a rejection?

Me:

An analytical and funny video:) but, seems too simplistic though, because people are multidimensional. 8 to 10? wow...I am not...too bad:(

Him:

Good morning, I believe the video is intended as more of a sarcastic and funny look at modern dating than any type of serious generalization. :) 8 - 10 seems reasonable to me and while beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder I am aware of what I bring to the table and prefer a partner who is the same. You may call me a narcissist if it makes you feel better. :)

• Author
Springsummer

yup...I know I should kick myself for even msg a 10, that's craziness right there.

oh, btw, he mentioned he wants a 5-7 in craziness and 8-10 in hotness. crazy starts at 4.

Edited by Springsummer
  • Author
Springsummer
I am familiar with the video in question and a lot of guys half jokingly think it's pretty much spot on. A woman that is a little bit crazy is kinda fun as long as she isn't too far gone. And for some reason, the hotter girls always seem to have some crazy issues. So, the point is, you go for the hottest girl you can, all while making sure she is somewhat sane. That is what he says he wants. A super hot girl that is just crazy enough to be fun, but not bats**t whacko.

yes. I got what he wants. but how do you define crazy and hot?

but what I am wondering though is what he says about me in his reply?

Cookiesandough

Ewww he sounds so full of himself!!! It'd be one thing if he was joking but his reply indicates he's serious. "I'll settle for no less than an 8 in looks because I know I am so great and deserve nothing less" Gross. And all the condescending smiley faces :sick:

• Like 4
Cookiesandough
Can't fault someone for their preferences. At least this guy is being honest, something most people refuse to do. If this guy has movie star-esque looks, why should he even consider women who don't? Most ladies are just as picky.

It's not that...preferences are fine...and I get it's a joke, but just think his auto fellating is unnecessary and tacky. Who even puts they are looking for a 8-10 on their profile unless theyre being sarcastic? Him...because he brings it to the table... :rolleyes:

Edited by Cookiesandough

What's with all the numbers? Just message guys you like, and if they message back, arrange a meeting. If you like each other then arrange another. And so on and so forth. You're WAY over-thinking it.

But I agree with Cookies, this particular one does sound pretty full of himself and patronising. May just be first message showing off. I would give him another message, moving on from this topic onto another more getting to know you type. See if he replies in a more friendly or at least conversation-starting manner. If not, move on.

Edited by PegNosePete
  • Like 1
  • Author
Springsummer

He doesn't say anything about you in his reply. Not that I saw.

Yes. that's why I started this thread. So is that means a NO? but why even bother to reply?

• Author
Springsummer
I would give him another message, moving on from this topic onto another more getting to know you type. See if he replies in a more friendly or at least conversation-starting manner. If not, move on.

I guess I will just leave it at that. I really don't think I am up to 8-10

• Author
Springsummer
Can't fault someone for their preferences. At least this guy is being honest, something most people refuse to do. If this guy has movie star-esque looks, why should he even consider women who don't? Most ladies are just as picky.

Granted, the guy does look like 9-10

The "call me a narcissist if you would like" phrase turned me off. Because when someone says that, it is not usually a good sign in regards to their view and treatment of others.

Then again, if someone is dating based purely on looks, they can't really complain about how they get treated I suppose.

• Author
Springsummer
This thread is useless without a link to

the video.

google is your best friend. just highlight the "crazy vs hot women' in this thread and right click and then google, if you are using Chrome. otherwise just copy and paste and search.

You insulted him and his profile and he responded. He didn't say anything about you or your looks.

Me:

An analytical and funny video:) but, seems too simplistic though, because people are multidimensional. 8 to 10? wow...I am not...too bad:(

I understand your "8 to 10?" as questioning his own perception of himself, and insinuating that he is not an "8 to 10" and shouldn't be trying to get an "8 to 10." You may not have meant it that way, but that is how it comes across.

Your "wow...I am not...too bad" took you out of the running immediately, without him even having to reject you. I don't understand what the point of this message to him was, other than that you were hoping he would come back and tell you what a catch you are and ask you out. If that was your hope, your approach was really bad.

Him:

Good morning, I believe the video is intended as more of a sarcastic and funny look at modern dating than any type of serious generalization. :) 8 - 10 seems reasonable to me and while beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder I am aware of what I bring to the table and prefer a partner who is the same. You may call me a narcissist if it makes you feel better. :)

He's telling you:

1. The video is somewhat of a joke.

2. You may think that he is not an 8 to 10, but he thinks that reasonable for himself, although he recognizes that it is subjective.

3. He thinks he brings a lot to the table and wants a partner who is the same. He doesn't care if you think this makes him sound like a narcissist.

He didn't say anything about you or your looks. He just responded to your somewhat rude comment about him.

I guess I will just leave it at that. I really don't think I am up to 8-10

So why did you even bother to message him if you've already decided that you are not up to him?

One thing this does bring to light, OP, is how our perceptions are colored by our view of the opposite sex. For example, someone who isn't sure they are an 8-10 might be put off by his response, and someone who doesn't have a great view of women might assume you were being rude. Neither of these are necessary true, but they tell us a lot about the person reacting.

I don't know what you look like, but I would bet you are someone's 8-10. maybe not his...but someone's.

• Like 1
  • Author
Springsummer
One thing this does bring to light, OP, is how our perceptions are colored by our view of the opposite sex. For example, someone who isn't sure they are an 8-10 might be put off by his response, and someone who doesn't have a great view of women might assume you were being rude. Neither of these are necessary true, but they tell us a lot about the person reacting.

I don't know what you look like, but I would bet you are someone's 8-10. maybe not his...but someone's.

True. Great answers! always have to keep these in mind.

He is seeing looks in terms of status. A good-looking guy should have a good-looking girl and no less than that. What a lot of rubbish! Being good-looking does not make you interesting or super-worthy in some way. He has a sense of entitlement, that's for sure, but is seriously lacking in common sense and personality.

Yes, I think he was saying no as well. He is not interested or he would have expressed some kind of interest in you. Instead he sounds quite cold and entitled. What a creep!

• Like 1
  • Author
Springsummer
He is seeing looks in terms of status. A good-looking guy should have a good-looking girl and no less than that. What a lot of rubbish! Being good-looking does not make you interesting or super-worthy in some way. He has a sense of entitlement, that's for sure, but is seriously lacking in common sense and personality.

Yes, I think he was saying no as well. He is not interested or he would have expressed some kind of interest in you. Instead he sounds quite cold and entitled. What a creep!

I have not reply back.

but honestly he does have what it takes to be entitled though. but I can only be with someone who respect and cherish me.

since he is not interested, why did he has the need to reply?

Cookiesandough
People may not openly admit it, but this is exactly what many people are looking for. I mean, this whole thread started because the OP messaged a guy who is a 9.9 on her looks scale. Do you think she messaged him because of shared interests? :laugh: This guy is being honest about what he is looking for, nothing more. Most people can't even manage that much.

I can't say I admire his honesty at all. I feel the same about women who put a huge list of requirements in their profile. Here's what the smart 9s do in my opinion: They keep their profile light, humorous, and self-descriptive. They message and respond to messages from people they're physically attracted to and they politely reject or ignore the ones they aren't. That's honest and keepin' it classy. I mean is there a reason why he's mentioning a 'numbers' he requires if it's all subjective anyway("beauty is in the eye of the beholder"....)

A lot of people, including myself, take more than looks into consideration for attraction. OP is different and that is her prerogative, but there still, there are a ton of good looking men out there who don't feel entitled.

• Author
Springsummer
People may not openly admit it, but this is exactly what many people are looking for. I mean, this whole thread started because the OP messaged a guy who is a 9.9 on her looks scale. Do you think she messaged him because of shared interests? :laugh: This guy is being honest about what he is looking for, nothing more. Most people can't even manage that much.

oh, look matter, but not all that matters. The guy actually has a brain matching his look as well. Highly educated and passionate in what he does. we are in the same field. and he surf (from CA) and I snowboard(the true north).

I am actually not the kind of person who only attracted to look. The person has to turn on my brain as well.

Edited by Springsummer

since he is not interested, why did he has the need to reply?

He probably replied because it seemed like a good idea at the time. There isn't a reason behind everything people do.

Sounds like he's been single a longgggg time or forever to me. Probably a few little half ass nothing relationships if you'd even call em that.

Too smooth , polished, down pat, got all the date world terms and Letters for every tiny thing ahh how cool am l , the online dating expert.

Just keep walkin.

When l was on them a lot of the women said stuff like that and even more off than that, way more off.

One, well , l won't say anything but she was insisting on a tall dark headed Irishman , never forget her, talk about out there though, in her 50s no less, over weight, nothing to look at but she says ohh , l think it's my time now.

Ahh sorry ,that was 25 years ago.

Edited by Chilli