I am looking to take my girlfriend somewhere nice next weekend but im not sure where would be best. I have asked her and she said she doesnt mind as they all sound good options. My options are blackpool, Lake district, York although im open to other ideas. Ive been to blackpool a few times and its got a lot to do there and is loads of fun. I would rather go somewhere more romantic like the lakes but if it rains im thinking it might ruin the time spent there. I also would like to add a little surprise in there for her like a pampering/massage session but not sure how to sort that out.

Has anyone got any suggestions on where is good these days and where to start looking for any information or deals on places?

Cheers for any suggestions :)

It all sounds lovely. Just have a plan B in case you get rained out. Romantic restaurant that has a patio but also inside for instance. Have fun!

York is gorgeous, have you been before? Are you traveling from abroad? York is a very 'ye olde english' place. Cute cobbled streets and streets with ramshackle buildings housing boutique, antique shops (the shambles). A stunning cathedral, a museum or two, good places to eat and drink and shop. Look it up. There's a fancy spa there too you can book an afternoon at.

Blackpool is for more of a fun, cheap British seaside holiday. The Blackpool tower is a must see, there's beaches, amusement arcades, a pleasure beach theme park, a ballroom, you should get fish and chips and sit on a bench looking out at the sea or spend a couple hours in an amusement arcade. It's very quick and dirty!

The Lake District is beautiful, but you're very dependent on the weather. It's more of a tourist destination whereas people visit York but they're also just going about their lives living there too. York has a lot of history and a cool dungeons you can visit and be taken round.

• Like 1
  • Author

I have never been to york but heard good things about it, ill be travelling from Liverpool. I want somewhere romantic but dont want the weather to ruin it. Cheers for the replies :)

What's your budget? The Lakes are expensive, overcrowded and it rains all the time (hint: that's why there are lakes). If you want somewhere hilly, outdoorsy and chocolate box pretty, like the Lakes, but a lot less expensive, with better weather generally, and fewer crowds, try the Yorkshire Dales. Or a forest holiday in a cute couples cottage with a hot tub, starlight forest rambles, etc.

York is cute. Leeds is nice too. Is Manchester too nearby? There are some lovely boutique hotels, loads to do. Much better than Blackpool, IMO. If you're going to do Blackpool you may as well go the whole hog and go to Morecambe instead. Extra cheesy.

Or spend a little longer on the train and go to Edinburgh. Plenty of options for all budgets. Or one of the pretty towns in the Scottish Borders. Or go southwest, into Wales. Lovely cottages to rent in quaint little villages, or pretty B&Bs in stunning locations, and some lovely beaches if you get good weather.