500 days of summer

Not sure if this is in the right thread.

But i watched a film yesterday. It seemed very similar to my situation. Felt.sorry for the guy.

Wanted to know peoples thoughts on the film and about whether you thought the girl was wrong or not?

It's a great movie, actually. The girl is neither right nor wrong, it is what it is, not every love lasts forever. That doesn't mean the it means any less, the ephemeral may make it even more intense.

Edited by CptInsano
  • Like 2
GoodOnPaper

Agree - great movie. A lot of lessons for those of us with "nice guy" issues. Whether the girl was "wrong" depends on your perspective. I think she was but like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, I was very much a relationship-minded young man. That is an uphill battle even if you don't have "nice-guy" issues. Young women are simply in a kid-in-a-candy-store period of their lives when it comes to dating. Options are too irresistible for most of them to commit to something exclusive or long-term.

Young women are simply in a kid-in-a-candy-store period of their lives when it comes to dating. Options are too irresistible for most of them to commit to something exclusive or long-term.

Were we any different? I mean, I wasn't able to commit at that point, either.

GoodOnPaper

If I had had options, I'm sure I would have felt the same way but I never did. I had to try and make a go at a relationship with whomever showed a little interest or else face long dry spells that just made me feel like a loser. In the movie, I don't think JGL's character had that kind of insecurity but the way he holds on like grim death to a relationship that's past its shelf life is all too familiar.

JuneJulySeptember

I didn't like Summer. I think she led Tom on at various points in the movie.

Yes, Tom overextended himself emotionally and that was his fault, but she didn't help the cause.

I definitely felt like it was a movie written by men and ... just checking ... it was. :p

The funny thing about this movie is I watched it for the first time as I got rejected by a female friend I had become infatuated with and Tom's feelings of dejection resonated strongly with me.

Looking back now, it was just silly infatuation...

• Like 1
If I had had options, I'm sure I would have felt the same way but I never did. I had to try and make a go at a relationship with whomever showed a little interest or else face long dry spells that just made me feel like a loser. In the movie, I don't think JGL's character had that kind of insecurity but the way he holds on like grim death to a relationship that's past its shelf life is all too familiar.

The feeling of the dying relationship is what the movie captures perfectly. I don't think that is limited to people who don't have options, meaning that when you actually love somebody you don't want that person to go, and you hold on even though you know better than that.

• Author

well apparently a few months later she did commit....