Going on a date with my professor

ullahayesha1994

I posted a thread a week ago about actually asking out my professor and I ended up deciding to send an email saying I understand that its an awkward position for him so I get that he might not respond or reciprocate, but that I found him attractive the entire semester. He actually responded saying that it would be more awkward if he was still grading my final and that it was easy to reciprocate because I am "gorgeous" and he that my confidence was very attractive. So I took that as him being interested and started slowly trying to shift towards going for a drink, he said that was very flattering and we actually made plans and everything. I had to end up cancelling because one of my family members are going into surgery so I let him know and asked him when he would be back in town because he's leaving the country for a good week. He said he would be back next week and that I could come into his office on Friday to pick up my assignment. I actually already got my grade for his class I just never picked up my assignment, but I mean... I just got kind of confused because he sort of changed the tone. I was asking when he was back to reschedule a drink and he shifted towards assignments and his office..like thats not the setting I was hoping for. Initially I was surprised how quickly he reciprocated but when it came to actually making plans he seemed like he wanted to, but also obviously hesitant. It was a third year course so I'm assuming he doesn't even know I'm done school now. He also mentioned he was really shy at one point. Anyway I sent him an email saying "I can't tell if you're just really shy and not used to making plans with girls or if you're just not interested" (I know its kind of mean but his emails were confusing me lol) and he replied with this:

"Well yeah, but shy has nothing to do with it. I know what I can and cannot do and what I want and don't want.

Let's agree this messaging is confusing, which is why i agreed to grab a drink with you."

I find his emails hard to decipher but I mean when he says lets agree this messaging is confusing, he sounds like he kind of wants to stop. I don't know what he meant because he says he knows what he wants he's just a bit unclear with me..should I stop pursuing? I actually really enjoyed talking with this professor, he's not the generically "hot teacher", my crush isn't out of lust, I actually like him, him being my prof in the past has nothing to do with my attraction for him, I'm just not amused with guys my own age, he is much more mature and intelligent and so it would've been nice to get a drink and see where it goes. but at this point I'm not sure what he really wants. what should I do?

what should I do?

To me he is double talking. Doesn't that annoy you? If he's so mature why is he doing it. I'd drop him and move on.

He's having to be careful I think what he writes. But he called your gorgeous and for men, that is pretty much what they want, right? But you stood him up so he's not uber happy with you about that. So just reschedule and stop sending him messages because you don't know him well enough for that and he doesn't even really know what to do with it.

"Well yeah, but shy has nothing to do with it. I know what I can and cannot do and what I want and don't want.

Let's agree this messaging is confusing, which is why i agreed to grab a drink with you."

What's wrong with the email? He's saying you make no sense via messaging so its best to meet in person so he does not misinterpret what you're trying to say. Except he was being nice about it by suggesting you both agree that messaging is confusing instead of blaming you for being confusing. Looks like your messages are hard to decipher.

Edited by S_A