Last night it was hammered home

mortensorchid

I have been rather reclusive lately. I have been very consumed by work to even think about going out all that much, plus it was winter and now we are at last going into summer. As I am a professional substitute teacher, I had been working in multiple districts and driving all over the place, leaving me worn out and not thinking about doing much in terms of fun. Last night, having finally had a break in the action, I decided to go out to a bar for a Star Wars trivia night since yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the release of New Hope. I met a few new people and we had a good time (yes, quite nerdy but it's what it is).

And what did I learn from this? I learned something that I think we are starting to loose, which is that in order to meet people you have to leave the house and go out and DO things. We are relying too much on technology as the medium of forming relationships with people nowadays. Always see technology as a means of communication, to be sure, but if you want something to actually happen, you have to put yourself out there and actually do something with yourself. Otherwise you will sit at home and continue to sit at home and get all wrapped up in yourself.

• Like 6

There is too much digital entertainment to consume and some of us can't balance it.

I go out every weekend. I meet people and run into aquinatnaces. For me its more music venues I frequent.

I mean, Ohio is still a relatively friendly place. I also went out last night with a group I haven't gone out with before and got to know a number of people.

The Midwest is rather easy when it comes to just chatting up somebody anywhere. Okay, some people are primarily focused on online, but you do have the advantage of living in a part of the world where it is completely normal to talk to strangers. And you are right that you should take advantage of it, IMHO.

I agree with this. You need to see the real person IRL. You need to be near them physically to see what they are like. You need to hear the voice and look at body language. There are so many people online and most of them are all bull****ters in their online profiles. Online is a needle in a haystack.

Eternal Sunshine

Isn't it nice though to sometimes have a complete break from forcing things? Be it dating or a social life, it's so refreshing to just do whatever happens/feels naturally. No OLD, meet-ups, random goings out alone in the hope of meeting new people......just peace :)

• Like 1