Opposite Sex Friends/Friends With Exes FAQs: Is It Possible? Can/Should I Do It?

ZayKayWill

Hey all. I decided to make this guide to help people who are struggling with this question. When it comes to relationships, a lot of the time people will find that people remaining friends with their ex or simply just their opposite sex friends causes a lot of problems to the person you are currently with in the relationship. So...here it goes!

Q: Is it okay to be friends with opposite sex friends while I'm in a monogamous relationship with someone else?

A: A lot of people will say no. I don't want to say that the majority will say no, but there definitely is no doubt that there are a lot of people who do indeed have a problem with it. That doesn't mean it's not okay, though! Everybody is different in this regard. Some people will say yes, some people will say no.

Q: How about my ex?

A: It depends. How long ago did you guys break up? Are you both clearly over each other? Has your partner met this person and seen how you both interact with each other in order to ease any insecurities that may arise within your partner? Pretty sure the majority of people will say no that it's not a good idea simply because it makes your partner uncomfortable. But again, there are people that do believe that it is possible. Again just depends on the individual.

Q: I'm still friends with my ex. What should I do when I get into a relationship with somebody else?

A: Communication is everything. You can't have trust without proper communication. If you get into a new relationship with someone else but still consider your ex a person of value in terms of friendship/different viewpoints in life, then you need to make that loud and clear to your partner. And if you can communicate that before you guys even get into a serious relationship with each other, that's even better!

Q: I told them and they're not okay with it. What should I do now?

A: Ask them what makes them not okay with it. Listen to whatever causes and concerns they have about it and go from there. Again, communication is everything.

Q: They're still not okay with it.

A: Then perhaps it's best that you guys don't continue a relationship with each other. Find somebody more compatible in this manner. You'd be surprised at how many like minded people you'll unexpectedly find in this world.

Q: But I really like this person and don't want to lose them!

A: Then perhaps some compromise and discussion of boundaries may be necessary.

Q: What kind of boundaries should be made?

A: That is completely between you and your partner. Everyone's boundaries will be different no matter what. Will provide some more specific examples on that later.

Q: Can I hang out with them one on one?

A: If you do this, it's always a good idea to invite your significant other along with you so they can at least be reassured that you're not trying to go behind their back. Think about it. If you decide to hang out with someone and 'intentionally' do it without your partner, your partner is gonna start raising questions such as, "Why does my partner want to hang out with this person and not bring me along...?". With time, they may or may not be comfortable with you hanging out with them 1 on 1 once they see how the interaction between you 2 truly is. Also always best to hang out with them in a group setting if you can so your partner doesn't worry about what you guys may be doing when you both are alone.

Q: Well why would my partner even WANT to hang out with them 1 on 1?

A: Let's be realistic. Everyone has different hobbies. Say Bob likes to go hiking, but Susan doesn't like to go hiking. In this scenario, Bob can either go alone or decide to bring a friend/group of friends. No 2 partners have ALL THE EXACT SAME HOBBIES AS THEM NO MATTER WHAT. Ok, perhaps there are couples that are like this, but for the most part, no 2 people are literally EXACTLY alike. Again, the best thing to do in this scenario is to invite your significant other along with you so they at least don't wonder if there will be anything shady going down. Even if you think they'll decline your offer, ASK ANYWAY! Give your partner the respect that they deserve. For all you know perhaps it's inevitable that your partner end up hanging out with the opposite sex friend because they're both part of a common hiking group that gets together once a week/month or so (Meetup.com anyone?).

Q: How much time can I spend with them?

A: Again this is strictly between you and your partner. Some people are cool with however much time their partner wants to spend with them, some people are cool with their partner only spending a very little amount of time with them, and some people aren't cool at all with them spending time with them.

Q: If I let my partner spend a large amount of time with them, won't they inevitably start to fall for that person?

A: Not always. It could or it could not happen. Two people hanging out with each other a lot 1 on 1 doesn't always mean that they'll start falling for each other. If that were true, then people wouldn't be getting divorced. They spent a lot of time together and eventually one (or both) realized that they weren't right for each other, so they go their separate ways and accept whatever fate that came to be.

I have a friend who completely blew my mind with this logic: There are 2 kinds of mindsets. A Starvation Mindset and an Abundance Mindset. A starvation mindset is the idea that opportunities for love and/or sex are rare and hard to find. Such folks tend to live in a world where they believe nobody wants them or where they will seldom have a chance at a relationship, which can lead to a desperation that creates a tendency to fall for anyone who pays attention to them. An Abundance Mindset is the belief that opportunities for sex, love and companionship are all around, that there are more chances for connection and intimacy than you could ever hope to take advantage of, and that you can afford to be choosy. People with an abundance mindset don't feel desperate, so they aren't prone to falling for everyone who pays attention to them.

If 2 people aren't compatible relationship wise, then it doesn't matter how much time they spend together. They may develop some attraction to the person. They may find the person physically attractive, but maybe not emotionally attractive in the sense that they want to start a relationship with that person for whatever reasons that may be. If you're the person with the opposite sex friend and you notice yourself starting to get serious feelings for this person, then at this point you can either dump your current S.O. for this other person or sadly you may have to stop hanging out with this person as much or completely.

Q: Sorry, but I can't do it. I'm too worried that my partner will leave me for the other person if I allow them to have a friendship.

A: Look, when it all comes down to it, you can *never* be 100% sure whether or not your partner is cheating on you. Even if you do order your partner not be friends with this opposite sex friend they still have every opportunity to get with them if that's ultimately what they want. They could be going behind your back hanging out with this person knowing that you're not okay with it. They still could be communicating via Facebook or text message. Even if you do want to control who they can be friends with they still have *every* opportunity to leave you if that's what they want. Controlling who they can or can't hang out with won't stop them from leaving you. If them doing this worries you so much, you have 2 options: Leave them and find someone with a more compatible attitude OR....you can simply learn to trust your partner and address your concerns to them. This is when you discuss what your boundaries are and what you are/are not okay with and are willing to put up with. Either they'll reciprocate and respect what you have to say or they'll continue to do whatever they want regardless. At this point, you can decide if you want to carry on with this relationship or not.

Q: Trust isn't just blindly given to people. How can I trust my partner if he/she is doing all these things with their friend?

A: Believe it or not, trust IS blindly given to people in some aspects of life. Think about it. You trust them enough to go outside, go to work and not constantly spying on them to see if they're not cheating on you, right? You trust and respect them enough to not be constantly checking their Facebook or their phone for any signs of infidelity. Sounds like a form of blind trust to me. Blind trust is essential in many aspects of life. Who you choose to hire/work with, who you choose to be your partner, who you choose to be your friend, your teacher etc. You can trust them until they give you a reason not to, or you can not trust them until they've proven without a doubt that they are trustworthy (if you already have trust issues, this is going to be a problem regardless. I had a friend who was with a girl for 6 years, and literally NOTHING he did made her trust him in regards to this topic. She would keep trying to control control control what he did and it was never good enough no matter what he did). Why did you get with this person in the first place if you're still questioning whether or not you can trust them anyway? In that case, maybe you jumped into the relationship too soon?

Q: What if they do end up leaving me, though?

A: They have every right to do that. Relationships aren't prisons. If your partner ends up leaving you for someone more compatible, that is their choice they have every right to make. If you want to ensure that your partner won't leave you, then be the best person that you can for that person and hope that you're enough for them to want to stay with you. Your partner is a human being, too. They're allowed to make choices, too, regardless if you like/agree with them or not. You can be the perfect partner but they still decide to leave you for someone simply because they feel they are more compatible.

Q: So after reading all this, I'm still not okay with my S.O. being friends with someone of the opposite sex or an ex. Does that mean that I'm wrong/a bad person and that I should automatically be okay with it?

A: No. You have every right to implement whatever boundaries you want while in a relationship, and most of all, you have a right to be 'wrong'. If you're not okay with your partner having opposite sex friends, then you can very easily find someone else with the same views as you that make you guys compatible. Some people simply aren't comfortable with it, and that is okay. It's sad, but there are a huge # of people in this world who will find an opportunity to cheat simply because they can get away with it or simply just aren't capable of controlling their actions in regards to whatever attraction/temptation they may feel with this other person. And sadly, that probably isn't going to change for a very, very long time. Even people who swear up and down that they would never cheat do end up cheating when put in a tempting situation (Not everyone, though!). When it all comes down to it, regardless if someone is in a relationship, there will always be other people that your S.O. becomes attracted to physically and/or emotionally. Being attracted to someone, however, doesn't necessarily mean that they want/need to be with this person, though. If I was hanging out with a friend who was in a relationship, and I were to ask him, "Do you still think about other girls in terms of how pretty they are/how awesome of a person they are/how great of a partner they could POTENTIALLY be (not with you, but with anyone), and he said 'no', honestly I wouldn't believe him unless he just blatantly didn't interact with anyone else other than his significant other/family members. Feelings don't control actions unless you let them. Simple as that.

[]

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
member request ~6
  • Like 1

On the first one, friends with exes, I think it's fine if you're friends with exes, as long as two conditions are met while you're in a relationship. One is that neither you nor the ex is looking to rekindle. The other is, if he/she is a real friend, your new partner should be included and invited when you get together, just like your other friends. They shouldn't be excluded. If you care that much about them as a person, you would hope your partner does too.

• Like 3
  • Author
ZayKayWill
On the first one, friends with exes, I think it's fine if you're friends with exes, as long as two conditions are met while you're in a relationship. One is that neither you nor the ex is looking to rekindle. The other is, if he/she is a real friend, your new partner should be included and invited when you get together, just like your other friends. They shouldn't be excluded. If you care that much about them as a person, you would hope your partner does too.

*nod* I really only think it becomes a problem if they start hanging out without the partner. It might be okay to do every now and then, but probably not a good idea to do it often...at that point it would be kind of hard not to feel like you're in competition with that person.

I have no issue with opposite sex friends at all. But you do have to be more open about your relationship with that person to your partner. Like I could buy my mate a gift for his birthday without telling my wife, but I wouldn't buy a birthday gift for a female friend without discussing it with my wife. Just an example. That and I have strict rules for myself in place. Any relationship I have they need to respect my marriage or we are no longer friends. And I also wouldn't make friends with a girl who would allow me to disrespect my own marriage and still be my friend.

But I do think having friends of the opposite sex are good for you. If nothing else to get a different perspective on things that my Bros would never have. And for women, having a friend that is a guy does the same. Plus most women are just so vicious to one another. I've heard countless women say "I always get along with guys better then girls" women are just cruel and underhanded to one another.

• Like 1
*nod* I really only think it becomes a problem if they start hanging out without the partner. It might be okay to do every now and then, but probably not a good idea to do it often...at that point it would be kind of hard not to feel like you're in competition with that person.

Right, and you can't always be there if it's all the time.

I also will add I think a partner who tries to pick and choose who you can be friends with shows a fundamental lack of trust. If I were told I can't be friends witha co-worker because she is female I wouldn't enter into that relationship. I police myself, I don't need you doing it for me, and if you can't trust me, I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with you in the first place.

I forgot to add in my rule that I wouldn't ever hang out with an opposite sex friend alone. Not for lunch with a co-worker even. That would be crossing a boundary I have set for myself. Although I don't hold my wife to that same boundary. I've even let her stay at a friend of ours house out of town who is a guy. She had a convention in another city and we had a friend from school who lived there that let her stay in the spare room to save some cash on a hotel. Trust is a beautiful thing.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Haven't you posted a LOT about this topic already? ;)

Dude, it's totally fine to have opposite sex friends. I have plenty. But if they're occupying THIS much of your headspace, something is amiss and you might be deluding yourself if you think you truly feel platonic about them. If I spent as much time as you do thinking and writing about my platonic friends, I don't think I could call my relationship with them platonic.

Just my 2c. :shrug:

• Like 4
salparadise

Dude, it's totally fine to have opposite sex friends. I have plenty. But if they're occupying THIS much of your headspace, something is amiss and you might be deluding yourself if you think you truly feel platonic about them. If I spent as much time as you do thinking and writing about my platonic friends, I don't think I could call my relationship with them platonic.

Pretty much what I was thinking. He seems obsessed with this topic. Now he's trying to define a set of rules (FAQ) that we're all supposed to accept, as if this can be reduced to an instruction manual. I don't think it's possible, and even if the manual includes a number of variables, there's no way it's going to include/account for everyone's perspective.

I'd rather not have to deal with opposite sex "friends" with someone I'm in relationship with. It's just icky. I know damn well that if the dude has a penis he would bang her in a NY minute, there's a good chance she's confiding things about our relationship with him that I don't even know, he's functioning as an emotional outlet of some sort and whatever that part is, is energy he's siphoning off of our relationship.

In other words, any other significant relationship affects the primary relationship, and in the case of opposite sex friends.. it's seldom if ever a benefit; it comes at a cost. How much exactly, and the nature of it, depends entirely on the three personalities in the relationship.

• Like 1
  • Author
ZayKayWill

Just my 2c. :shrug:

It's a topic I'm super passionate about because so many people don't think it's possible and I find that crazy. It's true that the majority of guys will take any opportunity they can get but there are some guys out there that don't let that kind of thing control them. I personally have a couple of girls that I have no interest in banging not because they're unattractive but it would just be weird and for some reason people just think that's not possible. :/

Fine be friends with your exes, surround yourself with opposite sex friends but do not be surprised when most people you are in a relationship with won't tolerate that as it always impacts negatively on the primary relationship in some way eventually if not immediately.

[]

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Topical content
  • Like 3
somanymistakes
It's a topic I'm super passionate about because so many people don't think it's possible and I find that crazy. It's true that the majority of guys will take any opportunity they can get but there are some guys out there that don't let that kind of thing control them. I personally have a couple of girls that I have no interest in banging not because they're unattractive but it would just be weird and for some reason people just think that's not possible. :/

Don't expect people who are opposed to the idea to be won over by you posting about it a lot.

Most people are quite certain that whatever they think is true is what most other people think is true. Evidence often doesn't come into the picture at all.

• Like 1
  • Author
ZayKayWill
Pretty much what I was thinking. He seems obsessed with this topic. Now he's trying to define a set of rules (FAQ) that we're all supposed to accept, as if this can be reduced to an instruction manual. I don't think it's possible, and even if the manual includes a number of variables, there's no way it's going to include/account for everyone's perspective.

I'd rather not have to deal with opposite sex "friends" with someone I'm in relationship with. It's just icky. I know damn well that if the dude has a penis he would bang her in a NY minute, there's a good chance she's confiding things about our relationship with him that I don't even know, he's functioning as an emotional outlet of some sort and whatever that part is, is energy he's siphoning off of our relationship.

In other words, any other significant relationship affects the primary relationship, and in the case of opposite sex friends.. it's seldom if ever a benefit; it comes at a cost. How much exactly, and the nature of it, depends entirely on the three personalities in the relationship.

I don't expect you to accept anything my brother. You'd notice that if you read it and saw the very last bulletpoint. :)

I made this topic strictly for me and any other crazy oddballs that are like me. For my.own well being and my values in life. And well...sometimes it's good to put yourself out there, even if you 'fail'.

• Author
ZayKayWill
Fine be friends with your exes, surround yourself with opposite sex friends but do not be surprised when most people you are in a relationship with won't tolerate that as it always impacts negatively on the primary relationship in some way eventually if not immediately.

[]

See and that's precisely why I made this guide because for some reason people think that it's impossible for this to be a reality. There are plenty of monogamous couples who don't care one bit how many opposite gender friends their partner has, even exes. If that doesn't align with your belief system that is totally fine *points to last bullet* because the sad reality of this world is that so many people, maybe even the majority, can't be trusted, but just keep an open mind. For all you know you just might meet someone that completely changes how you view life. Perception is not reality even though Sigmund Freud says it is.

You can tell when it is a borderline platonic/relationship.

I have opposite sex friends and they will not take precedence over a partner.

Thing is , who is it writing these list everywhere and what sort of qualifications do they have to be saying this is right or you do that or this is not right .

How much life experience do they even have.It's ok if they're in a question and discussion form but if it's in an as in, this is what you do thing. People have to be careful doing things like this because there's a lot of people out there in net world talking crap all over the net written by God knows who , 20 yr olds half the time, and a lot of very naive people out there coming across it all and taking it as Gospel and acting on it it seems.

But anyway , on the general topic , l usually find apposite sex anything as friends or ex's ,usually gets awkward or weird in some way or another sooner or later.

There might be feelings from one underneath or husbands and wives or gf's or bf's that don't like it ir it just ends up feeling just plain old weird somehow.

l always like to think hell why not , what's wrong with that , but it just never seems to work out that way sooner or later.

Edited by Chilli
salparadise
I don't expect you to accept anything my brother. You'd notice that if you read it and saw the very last bulletpoint. :)

I made this topic strictly for me and any other crazy oddballs that are like me. For my.own well being and my values in life. And well...sometimes it's good to put yourself out there, even if you 'fail'.

You know ZKW, a good solution for you would be to just pack a bag and move out to Hilldale, Utah. You'd be with kindred spirits there, and there'd be no need to obfuscate the whole idea by calling it "friends." You could buy gifts galore for various women and nobody would even blink an eye. You'd just need to follow a few of their rules and have revelations from time to time. You might even be a hero.

• Like 2

My wife started working directly with the pulic as a cashier at a gas station. So far to this date I know of 4 guys that she has been texting and or hanging out with, she has admitted to sexting them many times and making out with one and feeling each other up. She told me she loves me and couldn't live without me and has now 2 police records on file for suicide watch. She gets caught and becomes the victim. She has stopped texting them but restarted 4 different times now,even a 3rd party app to give her another phone number. She obviously knows it's wrong or the sneaking and hiding would stop. There is ( I guess) just one guy now but she's obsessed with him kinda stalking. She tells me she wants US more so will stop with the guys. I've lost all trust in her cause it's happening over and over. My gut says 60/40 % she's had an affair, she'll never admit to it. Now she has talked about having a threesome MMF I played along with the idea getting her to open up to me. When I said ok She instantly texted someone to tell them. I said I get a FFM after yours and she dropped the whole idea, she's again talking about threesomes again.. she gets a lot of public attention from her job, gets asked out on dates .. I'm thinking my marriage is a lost cause but I worry about the kids.. all this is unhealthy for them .. sorry long story. That's the jist of my last 4 years

• Like 1

This poem reflects my own feelings:

To part now and parting now,

Never to meet again;

To have done for ever; I and thou,

With joy, and so with pain.

It is too hard, too hard to meet

If we trust love no more;

Those other meetings were too sweet

That went before.

And I would have, now love is over,

An end to all, an end:

I cannot, having been your lover,

Stoop to become your friend.

—ARTHUR SYMONS, “After Love.”

There is a reason why an ex is an ex. Forget about them.

Though many people break up, get back together, get married.

Though with no intent to rekindle the romance there is no

reason to be friends with an ex for is not worth it for it just

creates problems with one's new love interests.

I don't share my tools and I don't share my woman.

My woman (wife) is my opposite sex friend. The person

you are in a relationship is the only opposite sex friend

you needs.

• Author
You know ZKW, a good solution for you would be to just pack a bag and move out to Hilldale, Utah. You'd be with kindred spirits there, and there'd be no need to obfuscate the whole idea by calling it "friends." You could buy gifts galore for various women and nobody would even blink an eye. You'd just need to follow a few of their rules and have revelations from time to time. You might even be a hero.

What's different/special about that place?

• Author
My wife started working directly with the pulic as a cashier at a gas station. So far to this date I know of 4 guys that she has been texting and or hanging out with, she has admitted to sexting them many times and making out with one and feeling each other up. She told me she loves me and couldn't live without me and has now 2 police records on file for suicide watch. She gets caught and becomes the victim. She has stopped texting them but restarted 4 different times now,even a 3rd party app to give her another phone number. She obviously knows it's wrong or the sneaking and hiding would stop. There is ( I guess) just one guy now but she's obsessed with him kinda stalking. She tells me she wants US more so will stop with the guys. I've lost all trust in her cause it's happening over and over. My gut says 60/40 % she's had an affair, she'll never admit to it. Now she has talked about having a threesome MMF I played along with the idea getting her to open up to me. When I said ok She instantly texted someone to tell them. I said I get a FFM after yours and she dropped the whole idea, she's again talking about threesomes again.. she gets a lot of public attention from her job, gets asked out on dates .. I'm thinking my marriage is a lost cause but I worry about the kids.. all this is unhealthy for them .. sorry long story. That's the jist of my last 4 years

Sorry that's been happening to you. I wouldn't trust her anymore either and at that point you probably won't even allow your future gfs to have guy friends. I wouldn't blame you. Experience changes people for life.

• 3 months later...
  • Author
Do you know about google?

Sure but sometimes a human insight and perspective is better. Wouldn't you agree? That is, assuming that said human is a somewhat intelligent and decent human being ;). Also how are you doing since your most recent break up?

Edited by ZayKayWill