Creepy neighbor kid or what?? [UPDATE: 3 years later]

I'm not sure what category this belongs in so I put it here.

This situation is very odd. This kid is 15, maybe 16 by now, but this started right after we moved into our new house. We moved in about 9 months ago and this kid who just lives around the corner (we can see his house from our backyard)was going by on his bike one day and my husband was working in the garage and he stopped to talk to my husband because he was noticing the motorcycle in the garage. My husband thought the kid was just being friendly and they started talking about video games and he brought the kid inside to look at our video system. Well for the next 4 days this kid came and knocked on our door between 6 and 7 every night asking if we wanted to hang out. Each time we told him we were already making dinner or had other things to do. We have no idea who his parents are and quite honestly we are unsure of the family situation because there are always cars coming and going from that place. His dad works on cars, but there's lots of kids coming and going and adults are always hanging outside. It's just an odd dynamic. Also we have seen the cops show up there twice. Once was due to the neighbor calling them for all the cars they have and we don't know the other reason.

One night after the kid had knocked on our door and then left, our neighbor across the street came over and said to be careful of him because he has been known to have sticky fingers and that she has noticed him eyeing up stuff in their garage so they never leave their garage door open if they aren't outside. Our other neighbor said the same thing about him about how he stole something from him. Another thing our neighbor told us is that her uncle is a cop (they are renting the house from him) and he found out that the kid had 2 rape allegations against him as well. Now I don't know how true or untrue these accusations are, but I can say that whenever this kid came to our door he was looking around our living room more than he was looking at us.

This kid hasn't knocked on our door since last fall, but I passed him on his scooter as I was coming home from running errands this past Saturday and within 5 minutes he was at our door again and first asked me if my husband was home to which I said he was working. He then asked when he'd be home and I said he is working late and probably won't be until midnight or so. Standing in our doorway he certainly seemed to be eyeing up the living room! He then still proceeds to say that he wanted to see if we wanted to come over for dinner. Um...I just told you he won't be home until late so no. We have never even spoken to your parents! If they want to come over and introduce themselves and invite us over then we'll see but we aren't accepting an invitation from a 15 year old!

Do you find this behavior odd? I mean it's not like he doesn't have any friends because we always see tons of kids hanging out with him almost every night.

amaysngrace

He cased your house and wants you out of it so his friends can rob you.

Just say no.

• Like 4

I would probably NOT tell him my husband won't be home before later.

2 rape allegations? Sticky fingers?

Uh-oh

• Like 5
amaysngrace

I hope you have either a good security system, a gun or a German Shepard.

Or all of the above...

• Like 1

Tell him you and your husband are going out to dinner and then a movie.

Then, hide inside your house with baseball bats.

• Like 3
  • Author

Like I said, I don't know if any of the allegations of stealing and rape are true or if people around us just really hate that family. Regardless of any of that I just find it so odd that a 15 year old would come up to our door again and again even though every time we tell him no we can't hang out with you. And why are you asking a 40-something couple with no kids to hang out when you have friends that come by every night? Your parents have never introduced themselves to us. Something isn't right there.

• Like 3
blueskyday

You need to shut this situation down. If he comes by, answer the door one more time, but step outside and close the door. Tell him "no thanks. We're busy putting in our new security system. We'll have to meet your parents sometime." Don't ever let him see in your house again. Keep garage closed.

Don't tell him your husband isn't home--EVER! And never answer the door to him again after you inform him you are busy and will have to meet his parents sometime.

He's either lonely or dangerous, or both. Be nice when you see him outside your house in the neighborhood, but be brief. Also, if you have a dog, put the message out there that he/she is unpredictable and might bite.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well and then the weird thing is the next door neighbor who told us right after we moved in that this kid stole from him had him mowing his yard yesterday so either it was a lie or he just wants someone to mow his yard!

amaysngrace

Maybe the guy is trying to teach him how to earn money rather than steal things?

People can forgive you know. Maybe he feels bad for the kid or something. I might do the very same thing, try to help them out and not just write them off.

• Like 1
bubbaganoosh

Maybe you and your husband should go over to the kids house and talk to the parents just to say hi and you should get an idea of what his home life might be like.

snappytomcat

maybe he has such a dysfunctional family,that he see you and your husband as normal nice people.

like others said don't ever tell him your husband wont be home until late,next time kindly say you are busy,and hubby is in the shower or something,even if hes not home.

I had kids befriend us,and after meeting their families I know why

If you get the sense he's trying to "case" your home....just tell them that you have cameras installed because of some weird dream you had or some scare about people stealing stuff from before.

Usually, if they had any reason to steal things from you, you could very well scare them off with a simple thing such as that.

Or just tell them about the gun you have in your bedroom. =)

• 2 years later...
  • Author

This kid just won’t go away! So we moved into our house almost 4 years ago. Within just a few weeks of moving in, this kid, who lived around the corner from us, who was 14 or 15 at the time, was riding his bike by our house and stopped to talk to my husband who was in the garage. The kid was interested in motorcycles and my husband had a couple. Well after that night, I think he stopped by every night for the next 4-5 nights asking my husband if he wanted to hang out and when he said no he was busy he would then ask if we wanted to come over for dinner at his house? What??!! We have never met your parents and by what it looked like, there were so many people coming and going from that house I wasn’t sure who lived there. Finally it seemed he got the hint and stopped coming over. Then about 6 months later I was just coming home on a Saturday afternoon and he was riding his bike by again. 5 minutes later he was at the front door asking if my husband was home and when I said he was working, he asked when he’d be home and I told him not until late. He told me to tell him he stopped by. Our neighbor had come over one day after she had seen him at our front door and said to keep an eye on him because he’s known to have “sticky fingers” and even said that he had a couple of rape allegations against him. Her uncle is a cop and apparently he found this out somehow. That just added to the oddness of his behavior.

Then in the fall/winter of 2014 the family moved out because the rental was being sold. I was glad when that happened. Then in the summer of 2015 once again this kid showed up at our front door asking for my husband who was once again at work. I watched him leave and saw him go towards a cul-de-sac down the street so perhaps he was visiting someone there and decided to come over.

Then last night this was super weird. I had a seminar after work and didn’t get home until almost 10PM. My husband was still up and even had the front door open so the cats could go in and out. I notice as I’m pulling in the driveway that there’s a car with someone in it parked directly across the street from our house. I get out and go up to the front door where my husband is waiting for me and I greet him and then go into the kitchen to drop off some things and I hear the front door close. I thought he had shut it and come in but he had gone out. This SAME kid, who is now 18, was the one sitting in the car and came up to talk to him. What the hell? I get home and then this kid decides to come up to the front door?? Why is this kid seemingly stalking (strong word, I know) my husband years later?? My husband comes in and says that this kid said he was waiting for his girlfriend. I’d like to know who his girlfriend is because it certainly isn’t anyone who lives a few houses in either direction from us so why is he sitting in a dark car across the street from our house?? Then my husband said he thought 2 other cars pulled up behind his car at one point before I got home and he thought he saw someone hop a fence. My husband started wondering what was going on and then 10 minutes after I got home, looked out the window and the cars, including the kid’s, were gone.

I was so glad when this kid moved, but he is still showing up out of the blue. How odd is this??

He sounds weird alright. Not that this is any excuse, but when younger, he may have had a bad home life and looked for places to escape to. A 12-year-old once did that to me while his parents were preparing to divorce. They were dirt poor and she had him and a younger girl and then twin infants. It was a mess that social services got in the middle of and probably made worse by making the two older ones go live with their destitute unemployed father, who wasn't even trying.

Anyway, similar deal. The two kids came by wanting to pick up leaves for money . I felt sorry and let them. Then the boy heard my old Atari game going through the screen and he made himself right at home. He, unlike yours, was a very good kid and helpful, used to helping his mother cook, etc. I made him call his mom and talked to her more than once. I felt very bad for him. But it was an awkward situation.

Juvenile records are kept confidential or I'd suggest you go confirm with the cops about this kid. But if he's of age now, you might go down there and check his adult record, see if he's still in trouble. You might get ahold of an officer who wouldn't give you details about his juvie record but would at least let you know if you have cause for concern.

If you ever catch him getting into anything around your home or just walking in the door, or lurking outside, call the police. I hope your husband is supporting you on this and not just blowing it off because he's flattered by the boy.

One simple thing you ought to go ahead and do is put a sign on the porch that says "No visitors without appointment." In other words, he has to call and not just drop by. You might also consider "Police will be called on trespassers/loiterers." But then you also have to put up "No Trespassing" signs.

If you do the "No visitors without appointment," then you can ask your husband not to agree to meet him at your home if he calls but meet down the street or somewhere else.

I had a panhandler who I had also caught looking in my front door that my stupid neighbor used to hire to do lawn work. I knew something was wrong with him. He'd be there all way and just mow and not any weed-eating or anything. Anyway, I couldn't put my head outside while he was there all day or he'd try to corner me and talk and get on my good side. Then one day she wasn't home for him to ask for money so he came to my house. After that I put up a "No Solicitors - I will call the police if you disturb me" sign, and it worked great. But that isn't going to work on this kid who considers your husband a friend.

• Like 1

I second calling the police if he's lurking around the neighborhood again. Look into an outdoor wifi surveillance camera for both your front and back yards - both of the above are deterrents for any would be burglars.

• Like 1
tetrahedral

Maybe he's a dealer? Comes back to your neighborhood periodically to do "business" with old connects. Met some people at their cars, exchanged goods and they all left.

The fact that there were always a lot of people going in and out of the house he lived in, would make it plausible that he (or the person(s) whose example he follows) were dealing there.

Whatever it is, he sounds like trouble.

You need to confirm if that rumor about him having a record with the police is true or not, because he could just be a sad person without many friends or something. Seems like every neighborhood I've lived in had someone kind of out there. I remember my first shack, there was a young man who directed traffic at all hours for no reason and a young boy who carried a ventriloquist puppet around and said his parents were devil worshippers, and I believed him (in the days before CPS was around). We were concerned about him and tried to take the edge off this crap he was being brainwashed with and tried to tell him everyone had different beliefs and not everyone's were like his parents, just trying to minimize it for him a little. Very sad.

• Author
You need to confirm if that rumor about him having a record with the police is true or not, because he could just be a sad person without many friends or something. Seems like every neighborhood I've lived in had someone kind of out there. I remember my first shack, there was a young man who directed traffic at all hours for no reason and a young boy who carried a ventriloquist puppet around and said his parents were devil worshippers, and I believed him (in the days before CPS was around). We were concerned about him and tried to take the edge off this crap he was being brainwashed with and tried to tell him everyone had different beliefs and not everyone's were like his parents, just trying to minimize it for him a little. Very sad.

He had friends. The same 2-3 guys would always show up at the house and hang out. And the weird thing is when he did come over all those nights in a row a couple of years ago, he would say that his dad wanted us to come over for dinner! We didn't even know who his dad was!

Well, probably his dad just wanted to see who his son was talking to, but then why didn't he just come over there with him sometime.

If he has friends and stuff, it's not as complicated, but it is important to know if he could be a potential sex offender, for your safety.

• Like 2
  • Author

That kid was sitting in his car across the street from our house again last night! This time it wasn’t even totally dark yet, only a little after 8PM. He was there for at least 20 minutes (could have been longer before I saw him), headlights were on and everything. Last week he came up and talked to my husband the moment I got home at 10PM because my husband came to the door to greet me. My husband at that time told me he was waiting on his girlfriend. I’d like to know who that is, because it isn’t anyone in the vicinity. Then last night he corrects himself and tells me that last week the kid said he was waiting on his girlfriend to call. Even weirder then. Why is he sitting across the street in the car when he doesn’t live in the neighborhood anymore? Apparently he has a friend who lives in the cul-de-sac a few houses down, but then if that’s the case, why isn’t he in the cul-de-sac waiting? Why is he sitting on the street 2-3 houses away? 2nd time in a week, that we’ve noticed. My husband ended up calling the police last night while they were still sitting there, but of course within a few minutes of him getting off the phone, the car leaves so the cops can’t do anything and he called them back telling them he left. Yet when he left, he turned down into the cul-de-sac (at this point there may have been someone in the car with him) and then a minute or so later came out and left. I mean unless this friend’s family doesn’t like him or something and he waits down the street for whatever, but then why turn down the cul-de-sac anyways? We can’t ask the police about this kid because we only know his first name and nobody knows his last name.

That kid was sitting in his car across the street from our house again last night! This time it wasn’t even totally dark yet, only a little after 8PM. He was there for at least 20 minutes (could have been longer before I saw him), headlights were on and everything. Last week he came up and talked to my husband the moment I got home at 10PM because my husband came to the door to greet me. My husband at that time told me he was waiting on his girlfriend. I’d like to know who that is, because it isn’t anyone in the vicinity. Then last night he corrects himself and tells me that last week the kid said he was waiting on his girlfriend to call. Even weirder then. Why is he sitting across the street in the car when he doesn’t live in the neighborhood anymore? Apparently he has a friend who lives in the cul-de-sac a few houses down, but then if that’s the case, why isn’t he in the cul-de-sac waiting? Why is he sitting on the street 2-3 houses away? 2nd time in a week, that we’ve noticed. My husband ended up calling the police last night while they were still sitting there, but of course within a few minutes of him getting off the phone, the car leaves so the cops can’t do anything and he called them back telling them he left. Yet when he left, he turned down into the cul-de-sac (at this point there may have been someone in the car with him) and then a minute or so later came out and left. I mean unless this friend’s family doesn’t like him or something and he waits down the street for whatever, but then why turn down the cul-de-sac anyways? We can’t ask the police about this kid because we only know his first name and nobody knows his last name.

Get his license plate.

• Author
Get his license plate.

Ah, should have done that. It was getting dark and he was parked just so on the street so we couldn't see either his back or front plate unless we had actually walked up to the car. I'll remember that next time.

l don't think he's waiting all this time to knock off your house or that would've happened yrs ago by now.

When he was younger l'm thinking he liked your h, liked you , but being the streetie type also cased the house , couldn't help himself through habit or envied all the goodies around the house.

Probably would've grabbed a few things for sure if he had the chance but l think it was mainly about you and your h.

Sometimes these type of kids love being around a decent couple and nice clean homely house too. l've had that from feral type neighbour kids living in a ramshackle at home myself.

Probably a whole combo l think. Have had it before.

The parking now , we use to do that, park a few doors up , usually because the friends parents didn't want us hanging out so they'd meet us up the road or round the corner instead.

He's no saint , no worries there , but l think he probably just feels like he's got a familiarity or friendship thing goin on with you guys too from way back so he parks there while waiting for the friend, bit of a fascination thing so when he's back for the friend he kinda likes to see what you guys are upto while he's waiting.

He latched onto you guys from way way back.

l'll bet he's home life was totally fkd and the parents are a mess , probably dealing and the house is a junkyard inside, no food,nothing, the whole shebang .

He's weird , a touch messed up , but l don't think he's up to anything serious with you guys.

But hey, keep your eyes and ears open and don't encourage him or be too friendly

Edited by Chilli
  • Author
l don't think he's waiting all this time to knock off your house or that would've happened yrs ago by now.

When he was younger l'm thinking he liked your h, liked you , but being the streetie type also cased the house , couldn't help himself through habit or envied all the goodies around the house.

Probably would've grabbed a few things for sure if he had the chance but l think it was mainly about you and your h.

Sometimes these type of kids love being around a decent couple and nice clean homely house too. l've had that from feral type neighbour kids living in a ramshackle at home myself.

Probably a whole combo l think. Have had it before.

The parking now , we use to do that, park a few doors up , usually because the friends parents didn't want us hanging out so they'd meet us up the road or round the corner instead.

He's no saint , no worries there , but l think he probably just feels like he's got a familiarity or friendship thing goin on with you guys too from way back so he parks there while waiting for the friend, bit of a fascination thing so when he's back for the friend he kinda likes to see what you guys are upto while he's waiting.

He latched onto you guys from way way back.

l'll bet he's home life was totally fkd and the parents are a mess , probably dealing and the house is a junkyard inside, no food,nothing, the whole shebang .

He's weird , a touch messed up , but l don't think he's up to anything serious with you guys.

But hey, keep your eyes and ears open and don't encourage him or be too friendly

I've never said more than "No my husband isn't home" to the kid. We've never had more of a conversation than that because he just gives off a creepy vibe. My husband hasn't talked to him for more than a couple minutes at a time so it's not like he's given him that "oh come on over whenever you're around" vibe.

As for sitting in his car across the street from us, the first time he said he was waiting for his girlfriend to call at 10PM at night. Well his girlfriend doesn't live in the neighborhood so why is he sitting several houses away from his friend's house in front of our house (and where is his friend??). Then last week when he was out there again he was sitting by himself in the car. Then apparently someone got into the car with him later and then they drove up into the cul-de-sac and came out a minute later. Huh?? Add that to the fact my husband said he thought he saw someone hop over a fence while he was waiting.

My husband told our neighbor that the kid is hanging around again and the neighbor warned his family that he was in the neighborhood again so it doesn't sound like he's innocent. Add that to the fact that our previous neighbor said he had stolen stuff and had rape allegations against him.