What is your opinion on interracial dating or marriage?

So I'm a black guy and I'm 18 and recently I was in a relationship with a white girl and I know some of my family disagree with that because she's white. I just wanted to know what most people think about relationships like that. Tell me what race you are and gender and what you're opinion on it is.

lionlover1973

Female

classified as Caucasian

(parents are a mixture of Persian/Arab, Irish and German ethnicity).

I have no negative feelings and/or beliefs towards interracial dating/marriage.

I am not attracted to black men in general (with all do respect) and have not dated nor have I ever been romantically involved.

Strictly on a physical realm, perhaps the exception would be Usher Raymond (but I think I find him attractive because of his dancing ability:bunny:).

I do have interracial friendships, both female and male. One of my best friends' who I consider like a brother, is black, we have been friends for about 30 years. I've known him since childhood.

Hope that helps!

I'm also a white female and I don't really have an opinion on interracial dating. It's not for me because I'm just not sexually attracted to black men but that doesn't mean it isn't right for someone who is.

You love who you love.

I've been in an interracial relationship for the past 4 years, I'm a white female, my man is black. Personally I've never had any issues dating 'outside my race'.

Well. I knew for a number of years that sadly even in Black or whatever other ethnicities some families are against their offspring marrying or even dating someone's from a different culture (not even the right word), or background. Stereotypes are not always the prerogative of whites.

I'm also white, have dated a black girl before. Though never really mentioned my parents even though they wouldn't give a damn. That said, of course there are some other people in my family that may be slightly more narrow-minded but in the end. Who cares? Interracial marriage and breeding among different backgrounds have been going forever. Some people accept it better. But I know for a fact that it's not always pretty.

Never understood how someone could say they're not attracted to an entire race of people, then the normal I have friends....To each his/her own.

I'm a black man born and raised in South Central Los Angeles, my wife is an Italian born in Wales and raised in Orange county California. We met about your age and still together 25 years later.

There are advantages that same race couples don't have, but also struggles they don't have.

Great relationships are hard to come by, the best way to find one is have a open mind and embrace a good connection, don't allow anyone to discourage you.

My dad is white/jewish and my mom is black/ native American, so with pretty much every girl I date you could call it "interracial dating." I've mostly dated white girls, but I do live in Europe.

I've noticed that women who have a strong preference for white or black are usually not into me. Most of the time I seem to attract girls who specifically like biracial/"exotic looking" guys.

It's not an issue for me, probably because I'm* mixed race myself. I personally think the term interracial dating is kinda old fashioned, almost makes it seem like it's something special. I see it more as just a physical preference people might have.

I am a Caucasian female. I guess you could say I "support" inter-racial relationships.

I have dated men that weren't white, and never really thought twice about it. My parents always made it clear, gay or straight, race or creed, good people are welcomed in our family.

Growing up my father remarried when I was a teen - and I gained a new "step family" - and this included the niece (and her husband) of my step moms ex husband (follow that!?)

At first I thought it was a bit odd that she attended all the holiday events with her uncle's ex wife's family. It turns out that the ex husband's family had essentially disowned her because she married a black man. I was flabbergasted by this! They are the nicest people. Gracious and successful raising wonderful children.

Their loss our gain I suppose. It really shocked me that people behaved that way this day and age. Disowning a family member over nothing more than skin color :(

I am a Filipino female.

My first boyfriend is black. We started dating at age 17 and were together for about 10 years. We got a lot of looks and stupid teasing from others (people singing that stupid "Jungle Fever" song to us). Our families were both fine with us dating each other. When we did go visit his family out in Louisiana I did feel a bit uncomfortable in the area but only because I was the only non-white and non-black person there.

My ex-husband is Mexican and Korean. No real issues there.

My current boyfriend is white. The only thing regarding race is that sometimes he forgets to think about color since he's never had to worry about it for the most part so keep that in mind. (Example - he wanted to go to some metal show. I had to ask him if there would be other people of color there, because I am not comfortable in places that are exclusively white.)

I was born in Los Angeles and raised in Oakland California a racially and seriously economically divided city.

I grow up being the only kid of color in my elementary school the first several years I was there and we were the only family of color that lived in our particular neighborhood.

It took a while for us to be accepted and it took a while for the parents of white daughters to allow me to play with their daughters and to be invited into their homes.

While interracial dating is accepted more than it has ever been I clearly get if a white woman decides to date me that she is taking a pretty significant risk. I can be the most wonderful guy on the entire planet but the skin color is still all some people will ever see.

Because while she may assume that her family and maybe her friends might not have an issue with me there are just some people's racist tendencies that are buried very deep.

My second wife swore up and down that her parents could not possibly be racist but she certainly found out otherwise after we have been together for a while and me finally moving in.

They grew to accept me somewhat but you could always tell that many of her family members mostly were lukewarm to me. I will admit that wore on me emotionally the longer we were together. We were fine with each other but family gatherings we're just a little uncomfortable.

I think I would tell any young person going into this type of relationship is to talk and communicate thoroughly and get past being "color struck" a term my aunt used to use it's when people get together from different races only because the person is different or is unique to them and not the total person or the thrill of being with somebody because it's taboo in a sense.

Just make sure you're with any person for the right reasons and not simply because of the color of their skin.

Never understood how someone could say they're not attracted to an entire race of people, then the normal I have friends....To each his/her own.

Caucasian female.

Perhaps I can help explain. I grew up in very, very white 1970's, 1980's Australia. Pretty much everyone I knew was of English heritage. So when it came to attraction to boys, I was attracted to what was familiar.

It wasn't till we continued on our path of immigration and I got to know more people of different backgrounds that I also became familiar with them. And with that familiarity, my instincts of attraction became far broader.

2c

I'm an old whitish Native American lady.

Most young people are perfectly chill with all combinations of blended dating, at least for others (they may have their own personal preferences).

But having a family violently against it can make it very hard to keep going. You can't minimize that. So be sure you are mature enough to stand up to any resistance or don't do it. AND be sure it's worth it to you, because you could alienate your family and she could ghost you two weeks later.

Good luck. Find love!

lionlover1973

You don't have to find someone attractive in order to be friends.

I'm not attracted to gay men either, but certainly I can be friends with them.

:bunny:

Caucasian female.

Perhaps I can help explain. I grew up in very, very white 1970's, 1980's Australia. Pretty much everyone I knew was of English heritage. So when it came to attraction to boys, I was attracted to what was familiar.

It wasn't till we continued on our path of immigration and I got to know more people of different backgrounds that I also became familiar with them. And with that familiarity, my instincts of attraction became far broader.

2c

Without some type of bigotry it's physically impossible to state one isn't attracted to an entire race.

I once watched a film about the KKK where a member stated Hallie Berry is a pretty woman, very attractive but she is a N word so she isn't worthy of a good white man...Here is someone who has racism so deep, hatred so deep yet is still sexually attracted to what he hates.

I'm white and my Fiance is Brazilian (part black). My family isn't big on the whole idea of us getting married but they've accepted it. The issue in my family isn't so much that she's part black or anything like that though. Even if my wife were to be white, it would not be good enough unless my wife was also from the same country my family from. So they pretty much wouldn't be all for it even if she were French, English, or Irish etc.

There can be a number of reasons parents don't accept your romantic partner. It can be due to religion too (this one is extremely common).

Sure I'll play, I'm a "white" (Scottish, English, Welsh, Irish & a little bit German) British Australian dual national who grew up in Australia during the 70's and 80's with bright blue eyes and dark hair.

Unlike basil67, I grew up in a multicultural area and was/still am friends with kids/adults who were Anglo, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Turkish, Filipino, Russian, Israeli, Chinese, Indian, Lithuanian, Polish, Chilean, Maltese, Mexican and others.

I have also dated and or had sexual relationships with women of varying races, ethnicities and nationalities.

My first wife is a dark skinned English woman from London, whose parents were Mauritian of mostly black African and some French ancestry. My second (current) wife is an Australian woman who grew up in Australia and Italy, whose parents were from Sicily (according to DNA they're of Italian/Greek/Spanish/Middle Eastern/Central Asian and Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry).

I also have a few anglo male and female friends who are variously married to African and Asian partners.

I have no problem with multi cultural and multi racial sexual relationships. That said both of the families I married into (especially my first wife's family), had/have some issues with such things.

todreaminblue

caucasian female as logn as the guy respects me i can trust him he is honest compassionate caring...dont care about the skin the guy is in.....deb

todreaminblue

white female..... as long as the guy respects me i can trust him he is honest compassionate caring...dont care about the skin the guy is in.....deb

Something I forgot to add. Keep in mind that no matter who you choose to marry, that your parents are NOT obligated to accept them. I not only accept this fact, but respect it. They are their own people and, for the most part, don't owe you anything (cold hard truth). It's for this reason that my fiance and I get a long great with my family where other family members, who have married out, don't.

• Author

Thanks everyone for your response and advise. I have one more question though. So my dad was saying in interracial marriages there is problems that you usually won't have if you marry the same race. Is this true?

I'm a white man and most of relationships have been interracial. I've dated a few black and asian women as well as mix south american ladies. I think it's normal. Nature wants and needs for us to mix as it makes the gene pool stronger.

Do your thing and tell the people who disagree with you that it's none of their business. I went to a bit of the same thing as you do now. I had a girlfriend from india and some family members focused on her race and made disparaging comments. I told them that it was none of their concern.

Thanks everyone for your response and advise. I have one more question though. So my dad was saying in interracial marriages there is problems that you usually won't have if you marry the same race. Is this true?

This is true as best as I can tell. But I've never encountered any major issues because of it.

I've never been in a such a situation but have had people around me.

The challenges are usually from the people who are racist underneath but dont say it publicaly ( those whom you thought were open minded, werent actually so ), were trying to set you up with someone ( or themselves , lol ) or family. Families usually come around once you are hold your ground and they see you happy.

Its the 'friends ' and acquantences that give the most trouble. There is a inter racial blended family in my neighbourhood. The guy is black with a boy and his wife is a white with a girl and boy.They all live together. I've always seen them happy.

todreaminblue

i was staying at this place once ....i was with my ex and my pregnancy was in trouble....and there was this family downstairs......over time we got to know them...we all became friends used to go to each others houses for dinner.i babysat their kids........a while after (i have this thing where people decide to tell me everything they feel or have felt.i think its my empathy..)anyway.....

they informed me they were trying to work out why we were in the situation we were in when they first met us...truth is we moved interstate with no set address to move too.....so i found the place where we met them help us get on our feet while my ex found work ........ it was a hostel...just a huge split house......that they were also there....and he said to hsi partner...i know what their problem is... he is black and she is white.....they admitted they were racist to me...that is...until they got to know us.....and understand us......they wanted me to know that....after meeting us...they didnt feel the same as they used too....my ex wasnt too happy but he took it in his stride......i had a feeling anyway.......didnt surprise me....

i just think people who dont understand multi cultural.... were bought up that way to be in ignorance....to fear what they dont know .they just need time to see more blended families or couples.... and get to know cross/multi cultural relationships....that it really isnt anything at all or different from any other relationship.....it also tends to be less understood and or frowned upon..... in older generations.....i have met a few hard stares of disgust in my day.older ladies mainly.......i would smile back.....and say hello how are you...shocked their little faces off..they normally woudl say hello back and look a bit sheepish........deb

• Like 1

The problems are less about race as they are about culture. For example an interracial North American couple will encounter less challenges than a white European person being with someone from Nigeria or Botwana. Having said this, the bulk of the problems that a mixed couple will encounter will come from outside of the relationship. It's also important to underline that intercultural couples have their share of positive attributes not encountered in same race couples... It's incredibly enriching to learn about others.

• Like 2