rotiserie chicken lame V-day dinner ?

I had all these grand plans for a romantic dinner with hubby. Chicken is not fully defrosted.

Is it lame if I run out now & get a pre cooked rotisserie chicken as a substitute?

I do not want to go out to dinner.

Bear in mind I'm not a good cook so this has to be simple.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

donnivain you could make baked beans on toast and if you made those baked beans on toast with all your love all your best intentions.... then ...that is what ultimately makes the dinner......the fact that you say you had all thse high hopes and even though you feel you dont cook well you want it to be very special.....an di am bettin' perfect....

then buy that rotisserie chicken and plate it like a boss donnivain with your sides.....and know...you are a just a lovely soul who should be appreciated for who you are and the love you give...even if it baked beaned on toast shaped...;0)...........deb

• Like 5

hum.... well I take pride in cooking, so I have a different angle on this. (as I only buy rotisery chickens when in a real pinch, and my hubby tends to wrinkle his nose at them).

What is your husbands favorite thing to eat? If he is a steak man, those are quick and easy.

If you do get a rotissery chicken, you could simply plate it - or depending on what sorts of things you all like, you can use it as a base for something else.

You can make a quick and elegant pasta - add a jarred cream sauce, maybe some fresh basil and diced tomatoes, some shared Romano cheese, your favorite noodles.

Chicken dumplings can be easily made with canned soup base, frozen vegis, and canned biscuits.

Same with chicken enchiladas - simply combing ingredients and baking, no "cooking".

• Like 1
I had all these grand plans for a romantic dinner with hubby. Chicken is not fully defrosted.

Is it lame if I run out now & get a pre cooked rotisserie chicken as a substitute?

I do not want to go out to dinner.

Bear in mind I'm not a good cook so this has to be simple.

If you're running to the store, get a couple of nice steaks and baking potatoes -- T-bone or porterhouse. Not hard to grill and delicious . . . and a man's meal :)

• Like 3

And if it's not grilling season where you are, I can give you a stove plus hot oven method to cook steaks that come out wonderfully. (Aka restaurant style)

• Like 1

Same with chicken enchiladas - simply combing ingredients and baking, no "cooking".

That's what I made today! Well, turkey burger enchiladas :)

I think a rotisserie chicken is fine. I'd just grab something fancy/ready made at the store to make it more special. Get some antipasto from the salad bar, yum.

• Like 2

I am probably the biggest cooking dork on this thread---I can sous vide, roast, fry, spatchcock, braise and baste any bird in the world---but rotisserie chickens were made for exactly this type of emergency! You are fine. Fix your favorite sauce and a nice side or two (roasted vegetables?) to go with it. Focus on making one element of the meal absolutely kick-butt and everything will fall into place. Serve it with a nice wine too, just in case.

Bon appetit!

• Like 2

Go for it! Presentation is everything. Stick it on a fancy plate, with a little garnish and some nice sides, and he won't notice. A nice dessert and he'll be a happy camper!

• Like 2

Did you get that chicken? :D

Get the already done mash potatoes and salad at the same time.

I will sweat over my stove for his birthday but not so much on V Day, especially it's a week day.

It's no big deal, don't worry. What makes it special is not the fanciness of food, it's the moment you will share and how you will remind the other how much you love them.

• Like 1
  • Author

Got the chicken. Doing nice sides. Put out the fancy table cloth & good china.

I think it will be OK.

Let's just say I know my husband didn't marry me for my cooking.

Can't do steak. It's not grilling season here. Plus I had a dental procedure & can't chew a steak. Chicken will be tough enough.

• Like 3

What is this "not grilling season" people keep talking about? That's a completely foreign concept to me.

Plus I had a dental procedure & can't chew a steak. Chicken will be tough enough.
You may want to look into sous vide. It's probably one of the simplest cooking methods out there and you can make many tender dishes that are easy on the teeth.
  • Author
What is this "not grilling season" people keep talking about? That's a completely foreign concept to me.

There is 6 inches of snow atop the BBQ & nobody shoveled a path from the backdoor to it. Had it been an option I may have considered it.

• Like 2
todreaminblue
There is 6 inches of snow atop the BBQ & nobody shoveled a path from the backdoor to it. Had it been an option I may have considered it.

snow angel time yay for donnivain....:0)...deb

• Author
I have never met a man who cared where the chicken on his table came from.. :laugh:

My husband didn't even realize it was from the grocery store. Then again he was 2 hours late getting home. He didn't plan well & had to run all over town to get me flowers because every place was closed. He joked that it was my fault because I put a $20 spending cap on him & cheap nice flowers were hard to find.

It all worked out well but the chicken was a tad dry. lol

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear
My husband didn't even realize it was from the grocery store. Then again he was 2 hours late getting home. He didn't plan well & had to run all over town to get me flowers because every place was closed. He joked that it was my fault because I put a $20 spending cap on him & cheap nice flowers were hard to find.

Those damned things always are....Its a "choke it down" effort each time..:mad:

TFY

• Like 1

Just like the flowers if he was scrambling at night to find them. :lmao:

Call it even. I'm glad everything worked out.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

Next time if you have to get a rotisserie get the ones from Costco, they are much less dry.

But I don't get this not grilling season thing either. As a Canadian knocking afeet of snow off of the BBQ to grill is just a normal part of winter. :D

• Author

We're not Costco members. Since it's just the 2 of us, the membership doesn't make sense. We don't need the warehouse size of anything.

The store where I get the chicken usually does a great job -- juicy, tender & flavorful. However, I timed dinner for DH's usual return time. I had popped the chicken into the oven to keep warm & because he was delayed it became a little dry. No big thing. Just kind of funny. Had I known he was going to be late, I probably could have made the original chicken I started out to make that wasn't fully defrosted which is why I dashed out to the store in the first place. It gave me a chance to pick up some Hershey's Kisses candies as part of DH's gift. Because I'm on a diet I immediately demanded that they be packed into his brief case for transport to his office this morning.

Just for future reference, meats like steaks can be seared on the stove (one stainless or cast iron pans) and then cooked in the oven. That's how a lot of restaurants cook steak and other means.

We're not Costco members. Since it's just the 2 of us, the membership doesn't make sense. We don't need the warehouse size of anything.

Just as a FYI, they don't require the memberships if you shop with gift cards. Plus some of their services have to be open to the public. In my state they have to open the eye exams to non-members.

Chicken dumplings can be easily made with canned soup base, frozen vegis, and canned biscuits.

Haha, this didn't t even begin to translate.

When I thought of chicken dumplings, I envisaged Chinese dim sum. And what are canned biscuits?

Mr Google sorted it out for me, but I do love how two cultures so similar can also be so far apart