They say you should never settle, but is that truly accurate?

I do agree that you should find somebody that's on the same level of intelligence and attraction as you, but to expect to find the 'perfect' guy or girl...the one that will grant you your everlonged fairy tale romance...that's just not accurate. Everyone has flaws, so I mean don't you kinda eventually have to settle? I feel if you try to find the perfect partner, you'll never be able to stop searching since you'll literally never be able to find this person.

I wouldn't want to date Mr Perfect. I look for someone who ticks a lot of boxes and whose vices I can live with; and hope he'll think the same of me. I want there to be a strong love and attraction but not for us to hold each other to impossibly high standards.

• Like 2
  • Author
I wouldn't want to date Mr Perfect. I look for someone who ticks a lot of boxes and whose vices I can live with; and hope he'll think the same of me. I want there to be a strong love and attraction but not for us to hold each other to impossibly high standards.

I would love to date Mrs. Perfect, but sadly that's not how reality works. And sadly I feel that not a lot of people are aware of this reality. SO many people want the 'perfect' person, but seriously what defines perfect? Every 'perfect' person you meet is going to have some kind of flaw. All there is to it. We're only human, not robots.

If you spend your life looking for someone who is perfect and think you've found one . . . they won't have found the same.

• Like 3

When you think positively about your options (all of them), you are more likely to find someone. If you think negatively about your options, you are more likely not to find someone.

• Author
If you spend your life looking for someone who is perfect and think you've found one . . . they won't have found the same.

Not sure exactly what you mean?

I've come to realize that by being with my gf I'm settling. I'm settling for romance, and love, and adventure without high drama. I'm settling for a person who makes me proud to show her off. I'm settling for someone who thinks the world of me in spite of my flaws. I'm settling for someone who is feminine, sensuous, sexy. I'm settling for someone who makes me feel young but not afraid to grow old. I'm settling for someone that I wish I had met long, long ago. Yes, I'm settling. And I'm so glad to do it.

Edited by Jj66
  • Like 1

For me settling is allowing yourself to be with a partner that is “below” your own expectations, whatever those expectations are.

Generally for many people the fear of being single is a predictor of settling for less in relationships.

Also people being fearful of being alone will stay with unresponsive, less attractive partners rather than face that dreaded fate. Being fearful of being alone is also associated with being less selective of those we date.

Some people frankly will go out with anyone who pays them attention.

If deep down you want a partner to be communicative, open, honest, kind, and thoughtful and you “settle” for being with a closed minded, deceitful, selfish, abusive or stupid individual because you “believe” that is all you deserve that is settling.

It is those who grow up being told by parents that they are not valued, attractive, smart and worthy are seemingly always in screwed up relationships.

If folks would simply look in the mirror and ask themselves “what makes me a good person, someone of value” and find someone worthy of being with you.

• Like 2

^^I was just going to say that, Larryville.

The fear of being alone/single has to be a stronger force than ones pickiness, in order to make one settle. Fortunately, the fear of being alone is strong with most of us.