feel like rubbish for no reason

Recently, I've feeling really down for no reason. I feel like crap. I'm really good at keeping my emotions hidden so, neither my family or friends know about this. It's happened a few times. It's something that comes and goes. Sometimes I just feel like crying. It distracts me too. I can't focus when I'm watching tv or when I'm doing my uni work. I've got a thyroid disorder and one of the symptoms is depression. I think that's what it is. I don't want it to be though. I hate depression. It was horrible when I had it last. I hate having this disorder! I'm only 21 and so much had fallen upon me. In school I was an out cast and bullied then in my final year of college I got bullied again and left out. Losing my grandma 2 years ago, my own mother taunts me about my weight, how rubbish my job is (she doesn't like it as it's quite a distance away but I like my job and don't mind traveling there and back), how I'm not like other girls my age etc. I can never please anyone. It hurts so much. I have this amazing and wonderful guy and we're more than friends but less than lovers at the moment. Things look promising and I feel it too. It feels like he's the only good thing in my life. My only little piece of happiness. I've only known him 3 months so, I don't want to bombard him with my baggage. Please help me someone. x

It sounds like a form of depression though, from what you have said, it could be triggered by outside forces. If your mother runs you down, that is bound to be hurtful and demoralising. Maybe it is best to see the doc and see if your thyroid medication needs adjusting (I'm assuming here that you take some). I am sorry your family do not seem supportive of you. It is no wonder you do not share your feelings much.

Is there a counsellor you could see? Perhaps worth talking to your doc about this, in case they have access to that kind of support.

• Like 1

Have you been able to get a medical workup?

Do you have any activities (i.e. hobbies, running, walking, aports)?

Physical activity has natural endorphins and helps with moods and even may help you with the thyroid. Also if your home is full of drama, nothing like a brisk walk/run to get away from it all.

Also, ever consider volunteering? Sometimes helping others not only distracts us from our problems (which right now you may have no control over), but also gives us purpose and we may even learn a thing or two.

Well wishes...

• Like 1

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3][/sIZE][/FONT]

[sIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] It’s In The Valleys I Grow[/FONT][/sIZE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]Sometimes life seems hard to bear,

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]Full of sorrow, trouble and woe

It’s then I have to remember

That it’s in the valleys I grow.[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]If I always stayed on the mountaintop

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]And never experienced pain,

I would never appreciate God’s love

And would be living in vain.[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]I have so much to learn

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]And my growth is very slow,

Sometimes I need the mountain tops,

But it’s in the valleys I grow.[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]I do not always understand

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]Why things happen as they do,

But I am very sure of one thing.

My Lord will see me through.[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]My little valleys are nothing

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]When I picture Christ on the cross

He went through the valley of death;

His victory was Satan’s loss.[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]Forgive me Lord, for complaining

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]When I’m feeling so very low.

Just give me a gentle reminder

That it’s in the valleys I grow.[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]Continue to strengthen me, Lord

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]And use my life each day

To share your love with others

And help them find their way.[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]Thank you for valleys, Lord

[/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]For this one thing I know

The mountain tops are glorious

But it’s in the valleys I grow![/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3][/sIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3](This poem was written byJane Eggleston who currently lives in Virginia[/sIZE][sIZE=3].Her son Jeff states, “She is a wonderful person, loves Jesus and has been thebest mother anyone could ever ask for.” What a fitting tribute to any mother.) [/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]

[/sIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3]I found this poem on the internet for my son when he was feeling down and thought it was lovely so saved it, hope it helps a little.[/sIZE][/FONT]

• Author

Yes. I take medication for my thyroid disorder everyday. Stuck with it for life unfortunately. I've been to see my doctor regarding my symptoms and she just says its because of the thyroid disorder, then I just have more blood tests to check my thyroid levels. That's it. Hobbies... I go gym but i haven't been in a while because of university and exams. I read books. I enjoy escaping my crappy reality and i love losing myself in someone else's shoes. It's refreshing.

Recently, I've feeling really down for no reason. I feel like crap. I'm really good at keeping my emotions hidden so, neither my family or friends know about this. It's happened a few times. It's something that comes and goes. Sometimes I just feel like crying. It distracts me too. I can't focus when I'm watching tv or when I'm doing my uni work. I've got a thyroid disorder and one of the symptoms is depression. I think that's what it is. I don't want it to be though. I hate depression. It was horrible when I had it last. I hate having this disorder! I'm only 21 and so much had fallen upon me. In school I was an out cast and bullied then in my final year of college I got bullied again and left out. Losing my grandma 2 years ago, my own mother taunts me about my weight, how rubbish my job is (she doesn't like it as it's quite a distance away but I like my job and don't mind traveling there and back), how I'm not like other girls my age etc. I can never please anyone. It hurts so much. I have this amazing and wonderful guy and we're more than friends but less than lovers at the moment. Things look promising and I feel it too. It feels like he's the only good thing in my life. My only little piece of happiness. I've only known him 3 months so, I don't want to bombard him with my baggage. Please help me someone. x

You are very young to be struggling with this. And, it's really no surprise since you seem to be carrying a lot on your shoulders at your age. And, good for you for being strong and having a job you enjoy.

Losing my grandma 2 years ago, my own mother taunts me about my weight, how rubbish my job is -- Grief is a powerful emotion to deal with and you need to honor her memory by continuing on the road you are on. I am sure she would be very proud of you.

Your mother, on the other hand, may be struggling with the fact that her baby has flown the nest. Nevertheless, for some reason, not of your doing I promise you, she doesn't have the parenting skills necessary to support your efforts.

If you have found yourself a good man, he will complement your life and support you and, it is important that you do not shut him out completely while you are dealing with this "down" period. Share with him a little bit how you are feeling and observe his responses. If he's going to be a good partner for you, he will understand and support you. Talking to him should not be a burden on him. Just tell him, maturely and openly what you are dealing with and talk a little. Don't harp on it a lot, just talk and get consolation and support.

You need to focus on YOU and your accomplishments. You are well on your way to being a strong, secure, independent woman. That is the holy grail for a woman.

• Like 3