Why is there such a lack of transparency regarding weight and body type with OD?

If you put up what you really look like and it's not flattering, there is FAR less chance of a meet-up. It's about the first meet.

It happens too often. Pics are great for initial impressions, but I have learned that they often do not reflect what the person looks like in person. Usually, the pics have been doctored or lighting manipulated to make the person better than in reality. Most of my experience has been positive, but some have been remarkably disappointing.

That's the type of people who use OLD, well the majority. Insecure, liars, players, people who can't get dates, suffer from social anxiety, cheaters, wieners, live in their mother's basement, crazies, uggos, dreamers, manipulators, catfishers, penpals, etc. And why?? because it's FREE. Free attracts a lot of crap/garbage. So you get what you pay for.

You are better off just going out somewhere and look for someone in person so you see what you get. It's more about quality, not quantity.

• Like 9
It just keeps getting worse. People find out eventually right?
Because the beautiful people who have great bodies and outgoing personalities don't really need OLD. Those that have some trouble are just normal, and in our marketing-driven society, everybody feels that they have to put their best foot forward, and hide their club feet.
  • Like 5

It doesn't take a genius to figure out if a woman has 5-6 pictures and they are all chest up and selfies, she's probably chubby to overweight to obese

• Like 5

OLD is essentially about marketing yourself in a consumer driven society. And all marketing uses images which make things look better than reality. Food stylists use toothpicks and gloss to make a hamburger attractive in a photo. Gorgeous models are photoshopped. Candles have an extra bit of flare in photos. It's simply a reflection of how advertising works.

If you want reality, get into the real world.

• Like 2

I imagine there is some brilliant marketing reason for OLD sites to not include weight among their data fields. Putting in a weight field would probably cause some harm to the business, probably by decreasing the number of female customers.

• Like 1
I imagine there is some brilliant marketing reason for OLD sites to not include weight among their data fields. Putting in a weight field would probably cause some harm to the business, probably by decreasing the number of female customers.

Weight without context of fitness and height means nothing. A bodybuilder and an obese guy could weight the same.

• Like 4
Weight without context of fitness and height means nothing. A bodybuilder and an obese guy could weight the same.
Most dating sites have fields for height (thus allowing many women to be selective about an attribute that's important to them). Dating sites could also easily add fields to provide context, such as various measurements. They simply choose not to.
  • Like 4
Because the beautiful people who have great bodies and outgoing personalities don't really need OLD.

This isnt true

I used OLD because I'm busy with nursing school and men are too intimidated to approach me in real life....its the most frustrating thing in the world

Guy would message me and say, "You dont need OLD" all the time. I highly doubt they'd walk up to me and say hi if they saw me at the grocery store. Men are too timid now

• Like 2
This isnt true

I used OLD because I'm busy with nursing school and men are too intimidated to approach me in real life....its the most frustrating thing in the world

Guy would message me and say, "You dont need OLD" all the time. I highly doubt they'd walk up to me and say hi if they saw me at the grocery store. Men are too timid now

Disillusionment373. No need to explain. Everyone knows that OLD is another legitimate way of meeting for various reasons. The old and tired argument about doing it the 'real' way is absurd too. Some make it out to perpetual virtual dating and for many it is, but my experience is that, for most it is a way to meet. It is a mess, but relationships in general are a mess.

• Like 3
This isnt true

I still cold-approach. I could be old-school, but it just seems to work better for me than OLD. I think a real man should pursue what he wants in life, and confidence makes up whatever I may lack in height or money.

The worst feeling in the world is missing out on something great just because you didn't have the guts to go for it. I say put yourself out there, you just might succeed!

To answer the original question, I don't need to know a woman's *weight* right off the bat before even meeting her. It seems like such a personal bit of information to glean about a stranger, since you really can tell whether she is your physical type from just a full body shot as I would see her say meeting up for a first date.

Edited by Imajerk17
  • Like 3
This isnt true

I concede your point, although maybe if you weren't so busy memorizing muscle names and properties and reactions of carbon-based compounds, it might be easier on you. Don't worry, your time will come. I used to frequent a beach where a large group of nurses would rent a house all summer and rotate their days and weekends. They were the best! I think it was all the exposure to death and illness that made them appreciate life just a little bit more.
  • Like 1

Why is there such a lack of transparency? -- Because superficiality, poor self-image, judgement and unrealistic expectations/visions exist. If people would simply accept the fact that the right person will love them just they way they are, there would be less superficiality, poor self-image, judgement and unrealistic expectations/visions.

• Like 4
I concede your point, although maybe if you weren't so busy memorizing muscle names and properties and reactions of carbon-based compounds, it might be easier on you. Don't worry, your time will come. I used to frequent a beach where a large group of nurses would rent a house all summer and rotate their days and weekends. They were the best! I think it was all the exposure to death and illness that made them appreciate life just a little bit more.

Awww I really appreciate this!

I wish guys could somehow know how sweet I am so they wouldnt be so nervous about approaching me but it doesnt work that way

I know! I need to get out more! But I dont really know where to go....it seems like everywhere I go its the same thing. The guy stares, I see him staring, he quickly looks away. Ugh lol

And I'm done with OLD so....

I still cold-approach. I could be old-school, but it just seems to work better for me than OLD. I think a real man should pursue what he wants in life, and confidence makes up whatever I may lack in height or money.

The worst feeling in the world is missing out on something great just because you didn't have the guts to go for it. I say put yourself out there, you just might succeed!

To answer the original question, I don't need to know a woman's *weight* right off the bat before even meeting her. It seems like such a personal bit of information to glean about a stranger, since you really can tell whether she is your physical type from just a full body shot as I would see her say meeting up for a first date.

It would be AWESOME if guys would take your initiative! But honestly its almost like they're scared. Maybe I should start wearing my scrubs to the grocery store. Nurses are nice! :D

• Like 2

Yeah, I always found out that the right reaction was to smile and walk over and say Hi. The quicker you respond, the better it seems to go.

It's not that hard to do. It doesn't mean I want to marry you or that I expect you to throw yourself at me, and chances are pretty good that you're not a monster just itching to put me in my place.

I was going to say, maybe it's the electronics, but it has always been the way you describe.

Disillusionment373. No need to explain. Everyone knows that OLD is another legitimate way of meeting for various reasons. The old and tired argument about doing it the 'real' way is absurd too. Some make it out to perpetual virtual dating and for many it is, but my experience is that, for most it is a way to meet. It is a mess, but relationships in general are a mess.

Lol I know right?! Poeple that arent single tend to think meeting someone outside of OLD is the easiest thing in the world. Like its a normal occurance. If I had a nickle for everytime someone said to me, 'It'll happen when it happens' as if some guy is just going to drop in my lap, I'd be a very rich woman :D

• Like 1
Yeah, I always found out that the right reaction was to smile and walk over and say Hi. The quicker you respond, the better it seems to go.

It's not that hard to do. It doesn't mean I want to marry you or that I expect you to throw yourself at me, and chances are pretty good that you're not a monster just itching to put me in my place.

I was going to say, maybe it's the electronics, but it has always been the way you describe.

I start to wonder if maybe people just arent as approachable as they used to be

I dont know why but I always have a really fierce look on my face when I'm going about my day running errands or whatever. I dont think that helps lol

Most dating sites have fields for height (thus allowing many women to be selective about an attribute that's important to them). Dating sites could also easily add fields to provide context, such as various measurements. They simply choose not to.

Good point. If they have a field for height they should have one for weight too. But of course people can just lie just like some do with their height.

• Like 1
CaliforniaGirl

And age.

So much lying about that and then the guy has a black-and-white photo with feathered hair and a Don Johnson jacket, hmmm. :lmao:

"Oh, my camera has been broken for the last...35 years and something blah blah happened urm hummana hummana mumble cell phone bad images mutter mumble...but basically, I look JUST like this, except my haircut is a little different."

:D

• Like 4

A lot of people out there think they can charm the other with their personality, regardless of their looks. Doesn't work that way for me.

• Like 6
Good point. If they have a field for height they should have one for weight too. But of course people can just lie just like some do with their height.

And they do, especially men.

A lot of people out there think they can charm the other with their personality, regardless of their looks. Doesn't work that way for me.

No amount of great personality is going to wash away the fact that one is not attracted physically. It's just that simple.

• Like 3
It would be AWESOME if guys would take your initiative! But honestly its almost like they're scared. Maybe I should start wearing my scrubs to the grocery store. Nurses are nice! :D

LOL. There is something hawt about a woman who can take your bloodwork and not have it hurt one little bit....

Anyway, I have noticed that males are becoming more feminized. As in, instead of just taking action and being more direct, they instead try to read into every little thing she does and analyse it every which way. To the point where it seems like the guys are actually expecting the woman to lead. We see it all the time on here w the threads on here that guys are writing. And they do not approach women because ONE girl--maybe their sister or something like that--said she didn't like being cold-approached, and so these guys aren't willing to risk hearing no from some stranger they'll never see again anyway, to potentially meet the love of their lives. But I digress.

OP, this might seem a bit off-topic, but it's really not. Another reason why women might not feel willing to "play ball" on these personal questions (such as weight--a sensitive topic for many a woman), is because they don't really like OLD. She reasons why a would a random dude need to know her weight, and why would it be worth it for her to share that personal information with the internet.

Also, most guys don't care about some number on a scale if they like her pictures anyway. I know I as hell sure don't.

You won't have to deal with this issue though if you meet women via real-life (approach or social circle).

Edited by Imajerk17
  • Like 3

I talked about and even wrote here about wishing there was an app like this,.......possibly before there was an app like this.

I always wanted a proximity dating app. Like you go to the store, the library, the gym, walking down the street and you see someone that catches your eye and your phone beeps up informing you via the app that that person also has an account on the proximity dating app. You can then hit "interested" or nothing at all. The other person will also get a beep indicating you're on that dating app too and they may also hit "interested". It being a double blind connection, only way they will know you hit interested is if they also hit interested. This is eyes on and not pictures.......other than some profile pics to identify you as the person they saw walking by.

Haven't checked it out, only just searched for it now. Think they were going by a different name before.

https://www.happn.com/en/

And looks like it's only in Europe for now.

Edited by Imported
  • Like 1