Is it possible to hate someone without loving them first?

I'm just talking relationship wise. Obviously you can hate someone for doing something drastic like killing a friend or family member or really screwing you over somehow, but if you hate someone, such as a past lover or even a family member, does that mean that deep down inside you love them, too? You basically hate them because you love them...?

I can't count the number of times I've said I hated my dad, but at the same time I can't not love him either no matter how badly he can treat me or my mom/people in general. Idk. Same thing with my ex. I hate her so much, but yet I can't stop loving and caring about her.

Only someone who knows you well can perpetrate the highest level of betrayal and hurt on you. So in that sense, to get hurt that badly, you'd have to have loved and trusted them and then they betrayed and hurt you.

• Like 1

I can't imagine hating someone I loved.

I don't know if I have ever truely hated anyone.

I can think of two people that I have extreme contempt for, both are people who have abused someone I love.

I don't recall ever uttering the words "I hate you" to anyone.

I ration that word. I'll say "oh I hate it when that happens" but I try to stop short of saying I hate people, or animals even. I'll say I dislike them, or can't stand them, but I try to stop short of saying hate.

If you hate someone they still are a big part of your life. They are still taking up mental and emotional space. Which means at some point they probably took up the same amount of space in another way. I think if you hate someone it means you probably still love them because you are giving them the power to hurt your heart

Indifference is the opposite of love. Not hate.

• Like 1

Umm...

Gosh, sounds like that Rihanna song "I Hate that I Love You"

For me "hate" is a strong word so I'll go with "dislike"?

Right now don't like that I still have feelings for dude (not "love" - barely know the dude) despite all the poop he dropped on me. So, I "hate" that I still have strong feelings for him cuz yea, who in their right mind would even have him on their mind after what he did? (regardless if it's cuz his age or whatever)

Like I think I saw him driving around today and my heart just wants to stop. I'm so scared to run into him cuz I know that he just has to smile and I'll forgive whatever. :o:o:o

I can absolutely say that it is very possible to hate someone you never loved. I have a list of past lovers and one exH that I never loved, even a little, and that I came to absolutely loath simply because they are who they are.

• Like 1