OLD salary requirements

So I was window shopping on match.com and I noticed the same annoying similarities in profiles when I had looked at it seven years ago.

I find a TON of women have these similarities:

- They want a guy who makes more than they do - some significantly like the girl makes $30 -$50k and wants a guy who makes $100k

- They LOVE to travel - which is likely the reason they are there because their salary does not afford worldly ventures, so they need to find a guy who makes double what they do to foot the bill.

Is this a typical pattern for women on OLD? If I have to start dating again I think would bypass these profiles even if I meet the salary constraints.

And who's got time for all this travel? How much vacation time do people get?

• Like 1
So I was window shopping on match.com

And the girls are window shopping too. It is like sitting in Santa's lap; you can always ask for the fantasy wish because you just never know...

Is this a typical pattern for women on OLD?

Not for people looking for REAL relationships, but is perhaps true for those who are gold-diggers

S

Depends on where you live and what you do. School teachers get three months off in the summer. In Europe, some people get six and eight weeks vacation. My husband and I take a LOT of three- and four-day weekend trips as well as one big ten-day trip each year.

• Like 3

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not nearly enough! Maybe girls who work part time or who plan to be unemployed once they hook their big money man? I don't know.

Vacation time varies widely. Where I currently live everyone is entitled 28 days per year as a legal minimum, many employers offer more to employees they really want or need to keep. On the other end of the spectrum some places like where I grew up typically offer less than 7 days a year to junior employees.

I never understood the point of griping about other people's preferences. If you don't like them just don't date them.

• Like 3
So I was window shopping on match.com and I noticed the same annoying similarities in profiles when I had looked at it seven years ago.

- They want a guy who makes more than they do - some significantly like the girl makes $30 -$50k and wants a guy who makes $100k

- They LOVE to travel - which is likely the reason they are there because their salary does not afford worldly ventures, so they need to find a guy who makes double what they do to foot the bill.

Is this a typical pattern for women on OLD? If I have to start dating again I think would bypass these profiles even if I meet the salary constraints.

I want a man who makes what I do or more and can afford to live in my lifestyle. I make close to six figures and have no debt and no expensive hobbies. Nor do,I wish to support someone else's hobbies.

As far as the LOVE of traveling, OLD frequently has people painting themselves as they wish they were rather than how they are. I've seen different men who say they participate in all these activities when in reality they wish they had time to hunt, fish, camp, play racquetball, kayak, travel etc.

• Like 3

Been 12 years since I was on OLD I don't ever remember salary requirements being on anyone's profile - at least in the area I reside. I think I did list "professional" or something like that in my profile to indicate I was solidly employed. I also remember one gal chatting with me to try find out how much I made- because she believed she made more than me. Usually by the second or third date I would pop for a moderately upscale diner date which would indicate I could afford a few niceties if we were to continue forward.

However, to me if a girl started listing minimum salary and minimum travel requirements I might start viewing her like a sugar baby - and then listing some appropriate requirements I had of her ....;)

as for vacations - I can only say vacation time has risen with my compensation and experience. The united states normally sucks for time off - but I have worked hard to earn and negotiate more from my employers.

I suppose in some of the woman's defense and depending where they live and their age range - I suspect they may get any number of requests on OLD from some shady guys or with difficult life situations.

Edited by dichotomy
Gr8fuln2020

Ha ha. Code, my friend, code.

Many women, especially in less progressive parts of the country, still hold "traditional" views relationships that have nothing to do with quality. They have this ridiculous notion that the man should still be making more money than the woman in order for him to be a real man. I can go into greater detail on this.

Oh, yeah! The travel!!! MOST women put that there for two reasons I think:

1. It's code for...you need to make enough money so that we can travel and spend time on some quiet, white sand beach in the Bahamas.

2. For some, after being stuck in failed marriages, or living under provincial attitudes, they simply have never traveled. It's a little sad to me...so many want to travel to places that their exes would never have entertained. Some, many simply do not put a value on experiencing other cultures, people...

Welcome to OLD. :confused:

thefooloftheyear

Know absolutely nothing of OLD...But from what friends have told me, many women on there shooting for the moon and stars when they themselves can't offer much...

He also said that women who were more accomplished seemed to have less interest in how much the guy made...My guess is they aren't looking for and don;t actually need a guy to save them or rescue them from their miserable lives..But I dunno...

I guess it's probably more important for younger people and first timers, looking to build lives/kids/etc...In the later stages, when many people are established already, who cares? As long as the other person is leading a normal career life, isn't asking you for money or sponging off you, why judge them on their career, savings, or earning potential..??

TFY

• Like 1
Gr8fuln2020
I want a man who makes what I do or more and can afford to live in my lifestyle. I make close to six figures and have no debt and no expensive hobbies. Nor do,I wish to support someone else's hobbies.

As far as the LOVE of traveling, OLD frequently has people painting themselves as they wish they were rather than how they are. I've seen different men who say they participate in all these activities when in reality they wish they had time to hunt, fish, camp, play racquetball, kayak, travel etc.

Absolutely agree with the second paragraph especially.

I just want to be with a woman who has her finances in order so that she is "comfortably" supporting herself (and children if there are any). I have no debt, no expensive hobbies and save thousands every year. And this doesn't include saving for retirement....I have yet to find any woman who has her finances in order....good grief.

I think I'm looking for someone like you....:rolleyes:;)

• Like 1
  • Author
Know absolutely nothing of OLD...But from what friends have told me, many women on there shooting for the moon and stars when they themselves can't offer much...

He also said that women who were more accomplished seemed to have less interest in how much the guy made...My guess is they aren't looking for and don;t actually need a guy to save them or rescue them from their miserable lives..But I dunno...

I guess it's probably more important for younger people and first timers, looking to build lives/kids/etc...In the later stages, when many people are established already, who cares? As long as the other person is leading a normal career life, isn't asking you for money or sponging off you, why judge them on their career, savings, or earning potential..??

TFY

I should have noted that my search results were women in their 30s and 40s. Often divorced, some with kids.

One woman had her income listed as $100k. Her match requirements? $150k+

And I'm on the east coast near a large city. These aren't small town women.

• Author
Ha ha. Code, my friend, code.

Many women, especially in less progressive parts of the country, still hold "traditional" views relationships that have nothing to do with quality. They have this ridiculous notion that the man should still be making more money than the woman in order for him to be a real man. I can go into greater detail on this.

Oh, yeah! The travel!!! MOST women put that there for two reasons I think:

1. It's code for...you need to make enough money so that we can travel and spend time on some quiet, white sand beach in the Bahamas.

2. For some, after being stuck in failed marriages, or living under provincial attitudes, they simply have never traveled. It's a little sad to me...so many want to travel to places that their exes would never have entertained. Some, many simply do not put a value on experiencing other cultures, people...

Welcome to OLD. :confused:

Yea I think you're right. I guess I'll have to revert to my old MO - bang them until they prove they are worth more than that.

One thing overlooked is people don’t factor population density when they go online. Even when I throw my town to the west of the major city in the Metro area I am only talking about 2.5 million people. Think about how many dating sites there are and factor how many single people there are that is not a lot of choices of single people and that does not even get down to someone’s individual preferences. This is why I try to hold to my 30 days at a time pattern to not stay on one particular site. The site I am now on I bet 40 percent of those profiles are exactly the same IN ADDITION to the main profile pic being the same. Let’s face it we are all recycling each other.

When people put all of that BS about all of these activities they “like” to engage in…

In the last year or so I have went out with (coincidence?) Teachers, educators during school particularly if they are elementary teachers they can’t date, all about their kids all the time for most of them.

Went out with business owners, Attorneys, nurses… I like successful women but let’s get real if they are indeed successful they don’t have time to go on beach vacations, maybe one major vacation a year. Sure if you date a broke woman with a dead end job sure she has all the time in the world if you are paying for it.

These are a couple of choices you must make. There are more independent and successful women but apparently many are meeting deadbeat dudes so their profiles are a little more hyper in terms of wanting to date a guy who “can afford their company.”

Someone mentioned, where you live matters too. I'm in Midwest. $100k here you are living very well. $100K in DC metro area is average, just getting by.

For me the qualifier is education, not necessarily how much someone makes, people who are happy with their “career” will in many cases “want” to be in a quality relationship. If you choose to date someone struggling with bills, dead in job, perpetual student will be unhappy if YOU can’t provide for them in any meaningful manner. Me I’m not trying to entertain anyone, on occasion I want a woman to take me out to dinner or buy me a drink. :)

Absolutely agree with the second paragraph especially.

I just want to be with a woman who has her finances in order so that she is "comfortably" supporting herself (and children if there are any). I have no debt, no expensive hobbies and save thousands every year. And this doesn't include saving for retirement....I have yet to find any woman who has her finances in order....good grief.

I think I'm looking for someone like you....:rolleyes:;)

Aww....geez you're going to make me blush!

I'm an old, fat woman....

I spent my 30s paying off my 20s. Life just exploded for me when I hit my 40s. I've kicked some major butt. It's hard for me to believe that 8 years ago I was living in a trailer.

And I have the same thing with men. My totally unscientific thought is women spend more money on "things". Clothes, household items, etc. Men spend more money on events and consumables. Men eat out and drink more (or pay for it more). Men will spend money on season tickets for favorite team, but not have a box spring for their bed. Or matching sheets.

But, I've run into a lot of men who are paying the 24% in child support and can't make sacrifices to give themselves a better life.

• Like 2

In the western european country where i live, only 1% of the population earn more than 100k a year. This is why i stay clear of OLD, its just a humiliating place for men with average careers who are not "kicking ass".

• Like 1
Gr8fuln2020
In the western european country where i live, only 1% of the population earn more than 100k a year. This is why i stay clear of OLD, its just a humiliating place for men with average careers who are not "kicking ass".

I don't understand this. So, that means that the vast majority of women are (probably are not) within your income range. I would imagine that most of the women are not looking for someone who make 100K+ necessarily. Just like here in the USA, most people online do not make that comfortable of a living. In fact, my experience, in the area I live, the women are terribly fiancially compromised and spent very little time thinking about their own futures.

But, I've run into a lot of men who are paying the 24% in child support and can't make sacrifices to give themselves a better life.

Glad you mentioned this because I totally forgot. In the 90’s when I divorced I made about $38K in the Midwest. My child support was $330 a month. I know dudes who make just a little more than that today 2016 money and pay $1000 or more a month in child support. That is insane. I honestly don’t know how some dudes with child obligations even try to date.

women spend more money on "things". Clothes, household items, etc.

Men will spend money on season tickets for favorite team, but not have a box spring for their bed. Or matching sheets.

Also good points, I make decent money but I have no debt, no needs or wants and I live a very minimal lifestyle. Maybe because I’m older “things” no longer matter.

However you have so many men outright lying about income and then in turn the women who they manage to date find out about their financial status and find they are deadbeats. Result is they “shoot for the moon” In their dating requirements. Most women are not goldgiggers (as someone said educated women) just want a dude who is going to be honest about his lifestyle. If you don’t lie about right off the bat a woman usually will be more understanding.

• Like 1
I don't understand this. So, that means that the vast majority of women are (probably are not) within your income range. I would imagine that most of the women are not looking for someone who make 100K+ necessarily. Just like here in the USA, most people online do not make that comfortable of a living. In fact, my experience, in the area I live, the women are terribly fiancially compromised and spent very little time thinking about their own futures.
a woman in my income range doesnt mean a woman looking for a man in my income range. I earned roughly the same as my ex, she never had a dime for travelling. Now with a new wealthier guy, money is sudenly not a problem anymore because she travels alot.

Many women want a man to cover leisure expense, but will cover it by looking for "a man with a good career", shadily hiding their materialism behind a quest for intellectual fulfillment trough the interesting career of their partner. thats the way of it

Aparently a guy making the same or more than herself is on many/most (?) women's list. This sounds like it's a reality and I'm not sure why ranting about is accomplishes.

I dated men who made less than me, mostly, but I usually only had education requirements not salary. I make over 100K/year, and while I didn't think it was realistic to hope my partner would make the same or more I have to say I'm glad I found someone who does make more because my first husband made half my income and he felt emasculated. I think it's better when the guy makes more but not a requirement if he has a steady job and is not insecure about the woman making more.

• Like 1
Just like here in the USA, most people online do not make that comfortable of a living.

I've never seen any stats on this but has never been my indication regardless of the site and of course age has a lot to do with it.

SNF this is the thing, it comes down to absorbing the entire profile. I’m not even bothering contacting a woman with limited education, no “career” vague about what she does (especially after you contact each other) can she or will she clearly explain what she does if she can’t or won’t I won’t bother.

Look at the pics, not just her but her surroundings, at least for me women more overall comfortable with their pics and of course themselves won’t try or need to deceive you and their surroundings in the pics do in face reveal something about themselves and yes income. Hair, dress, smile, decor

This is why i stay clear of OLD, its just a humiliating place for men with average careers…

I’m not sure about this just speaking for myself, if you have a measure of self-confidence and you are comfortable with your station in life women are not just going to flat out diss you unless you lack that self-confidence and come at them like a deadbeat, was their not a thread recently talking about dudes still living with parents.

That is not about “income” there is something not right about someone (especially a man) who does not seek independence. Regardless of what someone thinks about that situation that can’t be attractive to a woman.

How you conduct yourself, how you dress, how you act can make a difference in how women view you. Not just about “income.”

• Like 2

It makes practical sense to look for a man who earns more if the woman is considering having children, as his salary is going to have to do a lot of work maintaining the family standard of living.

If she is the main breadwinner, then the family income will take a big hit when she has to take time off for pregnancy and child care.

It therefore makes more sense for him to have a larger stable full time income.

UpwardForward

Women exchange sex for money, benefits, shelter, etc. It's as simple as that.

Gone are the days when the two worked together to build a life.

Gone are the days when the two worked together to build a life.

UF you are correct. If anyone doubts that browse thru these threads, so many of these issue run MUCH deeper that what the initial post if about. Relationships (especially good solid ones) take work. Too many are not willing to do just that. They will meet, chat, screw, maybe play house for a time but that's about it.

Building a life... reminds me of a recent thread where someone said “I don’t want to be in a bunch of 3 month relationships” That’s all that it is anymore. I’m less tolerant I don’t want my time and money wasted with someone not really wanting to invest.

Your ability and availability for travel depends on what you prioritize and the type of job you have. Not everyone is hampered by the same schedule or constraints or even priorities.

I travel a lot and 3/4 of it is actually related to my work, but I usually make time for fun too on those travels and kill two birds with one stone. I also have a flexible schedule. In dating for me actually, I would not be able to be with a man who for example would have a problem with me having to sometimes be gone for periods of time. If he had a similar schedule or at least appreciated travel then that would work better for me than a crotchety one who didn't understand why anyone ever needed to/wanted to go anywhere else.

In any event though, I agree that you should bypass profiles of those with whom you do not think you would match nor agree with their lifestyle and preferences...I think that's the the major point of having these things on the profile so that we can all click next or proceed if we dislike or like what we see.

Edited by MissBee
Michelle ma Belle

I don't have a problem with declaring you enjoy travelling but I do have a problem with OLD sites that ask for income. Of course they are optional but I still think it's ridiculous and anyone who does fill it out is either boasting in which case they'll get what they deserve or they're stirring the pot for sh*ts and giggles. Anyone who gives a real damn wouldn't play into it. Just my two cents.

I do have a problem with OLD sites that ask for income

Yup

I don’t think a woman frankly should be posting income, information.

For me I focus on education background. With OLD profiles you can just tell (writing style, pictures, hairstyle, WHERE they take pictures, hobbies)

If someone is living a “comfortable” lifestyle, especially women, you can tell without posting how much you make. Men generally exaggerate and can post crap to make themselves look like that have a few dollars. But if a man has “real money/wealth” they are NOT on ANY dating sites....

ok maybe a few...